Are these hydroids?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a little over a year old And I just noticed these dandelion type things growing on a monti that is recovering after falling into the sand. After some research, I believe they may be hydroids, but I wanted a confirmation. I recently started feeding reef chili. It seems other people have seen out breaks after starting powder foods like this. It seems the best action is to stop or slow feeding of powder foods. Any other advice?

01D47BA2-1B79-4C58-B528-333E9A254800.jpeg

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, yes. Hard to get rid of, I use to squirt vinegar on them, from a syringe, being careful on not squirting any fish/coral, and they will die off. But if you have some there, potentially you will have some others somewhere.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, yes. Hard to get rid of, I use to squirt vinegar on them, from a syringe, being careful on not squirting any fish/coral, and they will die off. But if you have some there, potentially you will have some others somewhere.

It’s so weird, cause I’ve never seen them, and I haven’t added anything to the tank in nearly 3 months... maybe longer. And then it was some frags from wwc. I started reef chili about a week ago, maybe not that long ago, and they popped up. Guess I shouldn’t have changed my regimen. There’s a reason they say don’t fix what’s not broken. Though, they may have popped up anyway. Who knows.

I honestly thought it was part of the monti at first. I was googling to find out if it was something for reproduction. ;Hilarious Guess it was, just not from the monti.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact, I had the same happening after going more heavily with reef roids. Stopped that, couple of rounds of vinegar, and the hydroids disappeared. I am sure it has to do with too much "filter feeders" food.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact, I had the same happening after going more heavily with reef roids. Stopped that, couple of rounds of vinegar, and the hydroids disappeared. I am sure it has to do with too much "filter feeders" food.

well considering I wasn’t using the reef chili a week ago, I’m sure my corals won’t be offended if I don’t give it to them for a few days. Did you just use Plain white vinegar? I have no idea how to target them and avoid the monti. All I know to do is turn the flow off and squirt it right below the monti and hope for the best.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't a super-immediate threat. I used white vinegar (plain), but I would actually not turn off the flow, not sure how the fluids dynamic would work, but it will definitely help "mixing it up" blunting the effects on anything you don't directly target. I would buy a syringe with needle from amazon/ebay, and squirt it as close as you can without touching them.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mistakenly hit a candy cane coral and it wasn't happy about it. Vinegar may alter your ph, but to what extent it will depend on the size of your tank, I have a 25g and squirt about 3 ml per session. I dose vinegar anyway to reduce NO3/PO4..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Starving them is best defense. Those powdered foods and brine shrimp are their favorites.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starving them is best defense. Those powdered foods and brine shrimp are their favorites.

yeah. I keep seeing that as a theme in the previous posts I’m seeing. I wonder how long they can be dormant....

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't a super-immediate threat. I used white vinegar (plain), but I would actually not turn off the flow, not sure how the fluids dynamic would work, but it will definitely help "mixing it up" blunting the effects on anything you don't directly target. I would buy a syringe with needle from amazon/ebay, and squirt it as close as you can without touching them.

I have a lot of flow in my tank. And they’re pretty close to one of the mp10’s. I’ll likely at least turn that one off otherwise, it will just shoot away. LOL. I already have one of those metal tip syringes. So that is good. I also have a super long syringe that may be good to use. I’m assuming your candy cane didn’t die. I’m nervous cause the Monti has just started recovering from being in the sand. I’d hate to make it angry again.

just When things start looking good, I always seem to have an issue. This hobby is not for the faint of heart.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @therman had great luck with a dwarf cherub angel

so far, I only see them on this one spot. Hopefully they don’t get worse and I can starve them out. If that doesn’t seem to work, I’ll keep that fish in the back of my mind. Thank you!

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of flow in my tank. And they’re pretty close to one of the mp10’s. I’ll likely at least turn that one off otherwise, it will just shoot away. LOL. I already have one of those metal tip syringes. So that is good. I also have a super long syringe that may be good to use. I’m assuming your candy cane didn’t die. I’m nervous cause the Monti has just started recovering from being in the sand. I’d hate to make it angry again.

just When things start looking good, I always seem to have an issue. This hobby is not for the faint of heart.
No it didn't recovered in about 2 weeks. So, looking at your pick, seem like most of them are under the monti (curiously I had the same happening, under my redcap monti), if you squirt from underneath, from bottom to top, you should be ok, for the few that are up top, I would just squirt it sideways, definitely not from top to bottom.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a little over a year old And I just noticed these dandelion type things growing on a monti that is recovering after falling into the sand. After some research, I believe they may be hydroids, but I wanted a confirmation. I recently started feeding reef chili. It seems other people have seen out breaks after starting powder foods like this. It seems the best action is to stop or slow feeding of powder foods. Any other advice?

01D47BA2-1B79-4C58-B528-333E9A254800.jpeg
+1 for hydroids, which can thrive when broadcast feeding corals.
I had some that came in on gulf live rock. The limpets that also came in must've taken care of them, gone/not visible now

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah. I keep seeing that as a theme in the previous posts I’m seeing. I wonder how long they can be dormant....

Hope the below link helps

@twilliard is a smart cookie... :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the below link helps

@twilliard is a smart cookie... :)

Thank you! Seems like there was some hits and misses recently. I should probably just send @twilliard a message directly.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Seems like there was some hits and misses recently. I should probably just send @twilliard a message directly.

Yeah, Bleigh

I would shoot twilliard (Todd) a pm too, before trying that option.

He's a great guy and loves to help fellow reefers.

He was offline for a pretty good stint, but he's been back lately.

His wife was very sick, fully recovered and he was getting some college degrees.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Sorry for any delays guys and gals. Those are fast spreading hydroids. They do not do as much damage as digitate hydroids and are particulate feeders. I have not identified common species of that type so there may be a few or hundreds. One will know relatively quickly if fenbendazole will work or not against a particular species of that type.
In general, fenbendazole will take out most any species of hydroids when used correctly. Also as I stated in the PM please read the precautions as this process can be detrimental to most all snails.
It has been a while since updating the thread so others may have more up to date information.

Back