vivekshankarpmk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, Its been 40 days since starting my cucling. Used traditional Shrimp method for ammonia source and used Aquaforest BIO S for bacteria colonizing , As on continous monitoring there are brown algae formed on the rocks and the glass . I am confused is this diatoms that come when the nitrate is high or is it something i need to worry.

IMG20200130102355.jpg

IMG20200130102335.jpg

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, diatoms due to elevated silicates in the new sand. They will starve out. Are you running lights? Because for a 40 days old tank it looks pretty clean?

OP
OP
vivekshankarpmk

vivekshankarpmk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, diatoms due to elevated silicates in the new sand. They will starve out. Are you running lights? Because for a 40 days old tank it looks pretty clean?
yes actually i switched on recently a thrice in night and forgot to switch off them in nights

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Typical new tank uglies.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess they should go away automatically as they consume the silicates and does this have any effect in adding fish as i have planned to add two green chromis for testing
Nah, you can go ahead and add the chromis if your ammonia and nitrite is 0. Silicates will be consumed an diatoms will go away by itself. No influence on fish :) Could take a few months actually... I used a sandsifting goby to keep diatoms on the sand in check while there was still silicates in the system.

OP
OP
vivekshankarpmk

vivekshankarpmk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, you can go ahead and add the chromis if your ammonia and nitrite is 0. Silicates will be consumed an diatoms will go away by itself. No influence on fish :) Could take a few months actually... I used a sandsifting goby to keep diatoms on the sand in check while there was still silicates in the system.
i had turbo snails which had diatoms as their food and i guess they should help again

Back