Are They Worth It?

Sniffingkrylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is very new, nothing in it until yesterday. My brother had a Xenia come loose from one of his rocks and bagged it up and gave it to me to try and put it in my tank. I know they're hardy and my water is good decent so far and have been seeding it and it says to add corals anytime while in the process so I threw in the Xenia, nothing to lose.. literally.
Anyhow, I'm second guessing keeping it, my tank is 9gal so real estate is scarce as is. I have a love hate relationship with it, it was one of the first corals that caught my eye but I also know they can become somewhat of a "pest" in your tank.
Years ago I kept a 29 gallon reef and it was one of the first things I put in there. I loved it, people always asked about it even when i had other corals that looked so much better, the waving/pulsing really seems to get attention but I remember it being a lot of work to keep it on ONE spot.
I don't even know what this post is.. a call for some sense to keep it out or reinforcement to keep it. Lol Maybe it won't make it anyway and the decision will be made for me.. Will I even be sad or mad about it? :face-with-spiral-eyes:

IMG_4274.jpeg

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes !!! welcome to R2R!!!!!!!!!

I know this sounds crazy... you take a flat piece of dry rock and let it spread to that.. discard the rock that currently hosts the xenia. You then take that piece of dry rock and glue it to the back wall??? With this thought, you can keep the real estate within your tank and keep your xenia.. just got to make sure you get the ones that fall off. Lol just a thought

OP
OP
Sniffingkrylon

Sniffingkrylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes !!! welcome to R2R!!!!!!!!!

I know this sounds crazy... you take a flat piece of dry rock and let it spread to that.. discard the rock that currently hosts the xenia. You then take that piece of dry rock and glue it to the back wall??? With this thought, you can keep the real estate within your tank and keep your xenia.. just got to make sure you get the ones that fall off. Lol just a thought
Hmm.. I like that idea, actually. its a floater as is, I set it on a small rock but it fell off, maybe I'll try to glue it to a flatter rock. Thanks for that idea.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it for now, it will be the canary in the coal mine. When it does well, you’ll know you can add other easy corals.

I have a bunch of them on a rock and I trim them every month. It’s kind of a pain and I’ll eventually give them away or get rid of them somehow. Mine is a 75 gallons but they grow fast !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back