ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, aluminum smelting is going offline in Germany due to the energy prices. This could cause the cost of producing Straton lights to become higher than what people will pay. Electricity savings among the various lighting types is minimal, and would take years to recoup. I would be surprised if any type of Straton light remains widely available, unfortunately. :(
It's complicated...
https://www.reuters.com/markets/com...cture-aluminium-pricing-andy-home-2022-09-01/
European factory activity contracted for the second consecutive month in July under the weight of high energy prices and a broader slump in consumer confidence.

You can start to see why the aluminium price is falling.

From a global perspective, China's supply surge outweighs European production cuts and its fast-rising semis exports are flowing into a weakening demand landscape.

Shiva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve got a new 36in by 36in SPS build underway, and have been considering using a single Straton (original). Would that be sufficient?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve got a new 36in by 36in SPS build underway, and have been considering using a single Straton (original). Would that be sufficient?
Will be short eventually if you put them high enough

rynosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the same question. I have an IM 112 EXT (35.4 x 35.4 x 19.7) on the way. Would love to see what you do with yours, Shiva.

Any more feedback on this? Would be great to hear from a few ppl who’ve used the light if a single Straton would be ideal for this size tank? Square light on a square tank might work nicely.

In my case, I’ll be going fully acropora dominant, and the claimed 30” spread of the Straton is intriguing. But I do prefer high par and good spread. Currently using an ATI Sunpower on my present tank.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Single Straton over a 24 x 24 cube and it worked great, but was overkill.

Getting ready to sell it actually. It's practically brand new. PM me if anyone wants it before I list it.

Shiva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the same question. I have an IM 112 EXT (35.4 x 35.4 x 19.7) on the way. Would love to see what you do with yours, Shiva.

Any more feedback on this? Would be great to hear from a few ppl who’ve used the light if a single Straton would be ideal for this size tank? Square light on a square tank might work nicely.

In my case, I’ll be going fully acropora dominant, and the claimed 30” spread of the Straton is intriguing. But I do prefer high par and good spread. Currently using an ATI Sunpower on my present tank.
I’ll probably do a build thread on my new aquarium soon! We just got it today, gonna leak test it tomorrow. I ordered the ATI Straton from sewatec, and they said it’ll take a couple of weeks. I’ll update again once it’s in.

I too intend to go acro heavy with this aquarium, so let’s see how the straton holds up to it. I figure, if there isn’t enough PAR with the one straton, I’m gonna add on some Orphek OR3s to supplement it! Let us know how your build goes too!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single Straton over a 24 x 24 cube and it worked great, but was overkill.

Getting ready to sell it actually. It's practically brand new. PM me if anyone wants it before I list it.
Same, except it’s perfect for clams! Plus the Straton has three sections which can be individually adjusted. I do agree if you aren’t housing clams/SPS it would be overkill though.

rynosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably do a build thread on my new aquarium soon! We just got it today, gonna leak test it tomorrow. I ordered the ATI Straton from sewatec, and they said it’ll take a couple of weeks. I’ll update again once it’s in.

I too intend to go acro heavy with this aquarium, so let’s see how the straton holds up to it. I figure, if there isn’t enough PAR with the one straton, I’m gonna add on some Orphek OR3s to supplement it! Let us know how your build goes too!
Awesome, sounds good! I’m jealous! I’m still waiting. Perhaps we’ll start build threads around the same time as it seems there’s a lack of IM 112’s around here :)

I admit I’m quite torn… I LOVE the look and elegant simplicity of the Stratons, and really want it to be perfect. Square tank, square light.. seems perfect, right? But after starting with halides years ago (circa 2009), moving to Radions, then to Orphek Atlantiks, and now using an ATI Sunpower supplemented with Blue Plus OR3s, of the bunch, regardless of cost or energy efficiency, I feel halides and T5s were the best at achieving coral health and growth for acros. Even if the “Iook” above the tank isn’t ideal.

LEDSs can absolutely do the same for acros, and look better aesthetically above the tank, provided there’s enough LEDs to cover most of the surface to be illuminated. But IME most acros thrive (not just survive) in 350+ micromoles of PAR which takes a lot of LED fixtures to achieve that uniformly. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s been my experience.

I’m still on the fence. I’d love to see some successful acro dominant tanks lit with one Straton, or some underwater par results of one Straton on a 36” tank.

Ive been reaching out to several Straton owners outside of R2R on FB and IG from both the US and Germany, regarding their thoughts on a single Straton over a 36” square rank, and so far the opinions are mixed. Some say yay, but some feel one Straton would only be adequate if acros are carefully placed in the center or if supplemental lighting is used. Which may be perfect for a mixed reef. But I’m admittedly an acro nut.

At the moment I’m leaning to sticking with T5s but we’ll see.

I’d love to share notes on your build Shiva! I’m still waiting for my 112, but have been modeling my plumbing and such in 3D software in the meantime. And my sump arrives tomorrow!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, sounds good! I’m jealous! I’m still waiting. Perhaps we’ll start build threads around the same time as it seems there’s a lack of IM 112’s around here :)

I admit I’m quite torn… I LOVE the look and elegant simplicity of the Stratons, and really want it to be perfect. Square tank, square light.. seems perfect, right? But after starting with halides years ago (circa 2009), moving to Radions, then to Orphek Atlantiks, and now using an ATI Sunpower supplemented with Blue Plus OR3s, of the bunch, regardless of cost or energy efficiency, I feel halides and T5s were the best at achieving coral health and growth for acros. Even if the “Iook” above the tank isn’t ideal.

LEDSs can absolutely do the same for acros, and look better aesthetically above the tank, provided there’s enough LEDs to cover most of the surface to be illuminated. But IME most acros thrive (not just survive) in 350+ micromoles of PAR which takes a lot of LED fixtures to achieve that uniformly. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s been my experience.

I’m still on the fence. I’d love to see some successful acro dominant tanks lit with one Straton, or some underwater par results of one Straton on a 36” tank.

Ive been reaching out to several Straton owners outside of R2R on FB and IG from both the US and Germany, regarding their thoughts on a single Straton over a 36” square rank, and so far the opinions are mixed. Some say yay, but some feel one Straton would only be adequate if acros are carefully placed in the center or if supplemental lighting is used. Which may be perfect for a mixed reef. But I’m admittedly an acro nut.

At the moment I’m leaning to sticking with T5s but we’ll see.

I’d love to share notes on your build Shiva! I’m still waiting for my 112, but have been modeling my plumbing and such in 3D software in the meantime. And my sump arrives tomorrow!
Technical details...
https://reefs.com/ati-straton-analyzed-in-our-danireef-lab-lets-see-the-performance/

Please note:
Basically, while at 20 cm the result is practically the same; as we progressed, thanks to the glass and the water itself reflecting the light, we found up to double the values measured in air.
2020-07-ATI-Straton-Misurazione-dei-PAR-Copyright-by-DaniReef-025.jpg

22" light to substrate and 24" x 24" area, all channels at full afaict.

As usual w/ LEDs your bottom line par will be determined by your channel intensity settings.

Estimate makes this fairly equiv to at least a 6 tube 36" t5ho
Bunch of t5 par data

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The straton had a good coverage but they aren't par monster if you have them not very close to the water.
I have mesured them again. First time my parmeter apogee sq 626 didn't read it properly because of a software issue but now it works, I'm sure, as I compared it with the par meters of my coral farmer and we got same results. I could read more par now but their defenitely not so strong as expected.
Also the light isn't pleasant at all not shimmer and the colors are ugly compared to the reef led or radions+ orphek bars.
Maybe for someone that had nothing else with more pop before or come for t5, halides, it will be OK but not if you used to something else. I tried during one month but couldn't like it. So I added the reefled between and led bars on the side of the straton and now finally I have the best of the different systems and can enjoy it! Spread, wide spectre shimmer and pop and the coral start to color nicely again, wich they had lost when I switched !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128-223043_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20221128-223043_WhatsApp.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 45

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Just got my slightly-used stratons and having a hard time connecting to its network (192.168….), so I can’t set it up at all. Is there a way to hard reset it? Or can i set it up with an ethernet cable instead of wifi? Thanks for any info!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Just got my slightly-used stratons and having a hard time connecting to its network (192.168….), so I can’t set it up at all. Is there a way to hard reset it? Or can i set it up with an ethernet cable instead of wifi? Thanks for any info!
You can connect to your phone or home wifi

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can connect to your phone or home wifi
Thats what I’ve been trying to do, but it won’t let me do the “admin” stuff. As in I’m able to connect to the straton wifi by phone/laptop but once i typed the IP address to login and program the lights, it won’t go thru to login

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thats what I’ve been trying to do, but it won’t let me do the “admin” stuff. As in I’m able to connect to the straton wifi by phone/laptop but once i typed the IP address to login and program the lights, it won’t go thru to login
It sounds like you haven't connected the Straton to your local wifi network. You're connected to the internal Straton network, but can't access an ip address as it isn't on the network.

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you haven't connected the Straton to your local wifi network. You're connected to the internal Straton network, but can't access an ip address as it isn't on the network.
18DA857A-C46C-4FF9-87EF-B81096A6FF0F.png
This is where I’m stuck. The “sign in” won’t even populate. So I’m trying to see if i can hard reset it since I’m not the original owner or can i log in to it while connected with an ethernet cable to do initial set up

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
18DA857A-C46C-4FF9-87EF-B81096A6FF0F.png
This is where I’m stuck. The “sign in” won’t even populate. So I’m trying to see if i can hard reset it since I’m not the original owner or can i log in to it while connected with an ethernet cable to do initial set up
Oh I see. So they didn't reset it before they sent it to you. They probably changed the IP address.

Ok so here is how you reset it.

If you encounter any problems in this process, there is a tiny pin-sized hole reset button on the black box attached to the power cable. Press and hold the button for 5 seconds and attempt the process again.

Sushitheshiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. So they didn't reset it before they sent it to you. They probably changed the IP address.

Ok so here is how you reset it.

If you encounter any problems in this process, there is a tiny pin-sized hole reset button on the black box attached to the power cable. Press and hold the button for 5 seconds and attempt the process again.
Thanks so much! Lol i couldn’t find that part on the ATI site (I’m probably blind) and i knew this awesome thread was going to have it

Back