ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

U

User1

View Badges
I almost bought the Coral Care as well but as soon as I heard that the whites had to be turned down (to the detriment of par output) to achieve the blue look, I passed on it and bought the Straton.

You will be happy with the Straton.

However, I do not think it is a correct assessment or representation on the Coral Care spectrum. My understanding is that they are going for a more natural sunlight look and feel vs. that of the heavy blues. This was one of my complaints on the review BRS did with them and relates to your comment. If you want the heavy blue look then you have to turn down the whites and as a by product lose power and par. So not cost effective - which I agree. If you prefer the blue then these are not for that hobbyist. Easy as that. But as with Kessil (logic) and these - both will grow corals just as well (look at the users of the Gen 1's for example).

Personally speaking, and I own neither the Straton or the Coral Care's for the record, I find they are both one of the best units on the market today. They pretty much single handily set the bar for any and all new lights moving forward. Form factor, spectrum, spread and coverage, design, and mounting. And if one was to search a bit more and compare results to another recently released light there will be a stark difference in failure and issues upon launch that these two do not have.

Just my take - both lights talked about in this thread are great and set the bar, high. I think it will come down to the hobbyist spectrum likes. But in the end I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly. I have a nice old piece of wood that I could probably carve out and tuck these bad boys in and still provide good air flow...

Anyway - love the thread. Love seeing the mounting options. Keep it up.

U

User1

View Badges
Noticed another cool feature last night. When doing a water change I wanted to do some top-down coral-gazing and photography. Well, since it is super easy to shut off the individual segments of the lights (front/middle/back) while leaving the others on. It is possible to get great views and pics without a lot of reflection from the LEDs.

Bonus!

(sorry, pic quality not amazing, I need one of those top-down camera tubes)

IMG_4392.jpg

Very pretty.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too originally had preordered the Coral Care but switched over to the Straton. The trade off was that I will now have to settle for a separate power supply which was not the case if I had stuck with the Coral Care. But the benefits that swayed me to choose the Stratons were the much sleeker and lighter weight design. It was hard for me to get past all that weight hanging over a brand new 180 glass tank. Also the ability to have separate programs for different sections of the same unit was attractive. I had already purchased two Orphek bars to supplement the Coral Cares with extra blues so now will be interesting to see what they do along side the Straton.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too originally had preordered the Coral Care but switched over to the Straton. The trade off was that I will now have to settle for a separate power supply which was not the case if I had stuck with the Coral Care. But the benefits that swayed me to choose the Stratons were the much sleeker and lighter weight design. It was hard for me to get past all that weight hanging over a brand new 180 glass tank. Also the ability to have separate programs for different sections of the same unit was attractive. I had already purchased two Orphek bars to supplement the Coral Cares with extra blues so now will be interesting to see what they do along side the Straton.

how many stratons did you go with? One of my favorite things about the lights is I get 100% coverage end to end and feel no need to add supplemental light. I have a more shallow tank with them mounted 13” off the water and see 289 par at sps and 200+ on the bottom @ 90% peak with whites turned down a bit with flow on. If I turned up the end 2 I could get even more PAR if needed, only running them at 20%. First LED lights (edit: out of box that I’ve owned)I could confidently say I could grow SPS anywhere in the tank

Last edited:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many stratons did you go with? One of my favorite things about the lights is I get 100% coverage end to end and feel no need to add supplemental light. I have a more shallow tank with them mounted 13” off the water and see 289 par at sps and 200+ on the bottom @ 90% peak with whites turned down a bit with flow on. If I turned up the end 2 I could get even more PAR if needed, only running them at 20%. First LED lights (edit: out of box that I’ve owned)I could confidently say I could grow SPS anywhere in the tank
I have 3 that will go on it. The bars may very well be overkill but since one is a blue plus and the other what they are calling UV, but is more of a lavender/pink, they really bring out the color in many of the corals, I am going to at least give them a try. I have Atlantiks over the 135 I've had up for the last 15 years and would have gone with them if they worked with the new tanks configuration. They have been fantastic.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 that will go on it. The bars may very well be overkill but since one is a blue plus and the other what they are calling UV, but is more of a lavender/pink, they really bring out the color in many of the corals, I am going to at least give them a try. I have Atlantiks over the 135 I've had up for the last 15 years and would have gone with them if they worked with the new tanks configuration. They have been fantastic.

I’ve had the OR bars and loved them. Local reefer uses the Atlantic’s with OR’s and they are nice lights but he has also had issues with them so I never tried them.

OP
OP
Reef-Engineer

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- wrong dimming if no time zone was set
- Temperature Diagram modified (Backend)
- there was a possibility of low flashing if the light was off

@ATI North America I have the low flashing issue I think in one of my units. When the lights are turning off or on for the day and only one of the segments is lit, I have seen the cyan channel flash on, on another segment that was off.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

So I just run firmware update, then re-name them the same and have them join my network. I'll give it a go

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ATI North America I have the low flashing issue I think in one of my units. When the lights are turning off or on for the day and only one of the segments is lit, I have seen the cyan channel flash on, on another segment that was off.

So I just run firmware update, then re-name them the same and have them join my network. I'll give it a go

Do keep me posted!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Reef-Engineer en Save your configuration first!!

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope ATI won't discontinues T5 fixtures.
I dont think that'll happen soon. They're some of the best lights on the market that LEDs attempt to get close to. Same goes for halides. I think people are just moving in the LED direction as they're more sleek. They also cater to the gear heads that like to tinker with settings and offer more customizability. Im taking my LED down and putting up an 8 bulb ATI sunpower.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a nice fixture.
Certainly is good looking and the distribution looks nice.
I really prefer this to a single puck.
The lens will help too..
Happy to see fixtures like this and the Philips fixture.
These two fixtures are a step in the right direction for led fixtures.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back