ATI Straton wire hangar sheared under it's own weight

  • Thread starter Thread starter MartinM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2021
Messages
1,288
Reaction score
1,129
Location
Japan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these lights but I can't believe the wire hangar suddenly sheared under its own weight. Thankfully the power cable kept that end from falling into the water. It's never been splashed by saltwater and there's no signs of rust on the cable (they're plastic coated anyway). Seems the hanging design is not strong enough for the weight of the light, especially since I've only had it about 6 months. @ATI North America maybe have the boys back in Germany fix this before fixtures start to fall in the water, and I emailed you guys for a fix. Here's a photo of it shearing:

1BAA1F70-CAD1-49E5-B837-80AED3449446.jpeg
 
That looks like a rubbing fraying of the wire. There is NO WAY that just snapped under the weight of the Straton. I had one and they aren't heavy at all. The wire with the Straton was a good one too.

Do you know of anything that could have rubbed against it for a length of time? Was this the new wire that came with the Straton?

Glad to hear it didn't fall in the water. That would have not been a good day.
 
There's definitely no way any rubbing could have occurred, there haven't been any earthquakes since I got the light. Yep, that's the hanging kit that came with it. All I can think of is maybe something happened to the wire during manufacturing if it's not a wire weakness issue. The lights definitely aren't light, but yeah, doesn't make sense for the wire to have broken like that.
 
Something had to happen during manufacturing.. them cables can hold a 100 pounds on a single one.. shear strength is 480psi.. I use them to hang signs a lot lol..
 
the same thing happened to me once with an ATI hybrid lamp.. luckily i had a protection on the pool, so it could stop the fall into the water. from ATI there was not even a new suspension, let alone an explanation for it. my dealer had to take care of everything. That's why my wife doesn't want such a hanging system here. and I really want the Straton Pro :-(
 
Out of all the things that could malfunction, I would have never dreamed it would be a suspension wire. If it is breaking under the weight of the Straton, then it must not be made to handle much. My Straton was very light overall.

That is a VERY bad thing to have break for sure. There is a million hanging kits and also bulk wire you could use and cut yourself. Even if ATI sends you a new hanging kit, I wouldn't use it, lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new