ATO in display tank?

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Ive been interested in buying an ATO for my 20 gallon saltwater tank but don't have a sump, just a good canister filter. So im wondering if I can place the sensor in my actual display tank? One side of my aquarium has some waves and the other doesn't so I'd place the sensor where there is very little water movement. This is the ATO I was interested in: https://www.reefsecrets.com.au/products/reef-secrets-smart-ato

Thanks

Last edited:

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Ive been interested in buying an ATO for my 20 gallon saltwater tank but don't have a sump, just a good canister filter. So im wondering if I can place the sensor in my actual display tank? One side of my aquarium has some waves and the other doesn't so I'd place the sensor where there is very little water movement. This is the ATO I was interested in: https://www.reefsecrets.com.au/products/reef-secrets-smart-ato

Thanks
Looks like that should work or look into an Auto Aqua sumpless ATO system

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add my reason to this discussion, but, I don't feel it is needed as their have already been several great reasons given to add a ATO.

I will simply say yes it is worth it. :)

I will add though, that you should wait until Tunze gets their act in order and get out the Tunze 3155 ATO before adding one. ;)

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I use on my 20. Except I sealed the bottom hole and instead placed my canister intake into the acrylic box.
I’m going to be setting up a 20 long mangrove tank and thinking about going with the sumpless ATO for that

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is going to be how much water has to evaporate before the ATO triggers and how much it will take to trigger it off again. This may cause your salinity to swing depending on the percentage difference between top off and the full tank. the return section of a sump has a lot less surface area so the level changes quicker with less water involved. You may have to come up with a box with a weir attached to the inside of the tank and draw water from that into your canister filter. Then add the level sensor inside the box. Kind of like a overflow. If fact an overflow might work if it is large enough to accommodate the level sensor and the intake to the canister filter. You would not need to use the external side of it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a sumpless ato available by xp Aqua I believe, works very well. You don’t want to put a regular ato in that tank because the salinity will have to drip a bit for it to register

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should defiantly look at the Auto Aqua sumpless ATO system.

I know it's more expensive than the one you are interested in, but I think it's worth it. It is a bit finicky, and there a learning curve, but it keeps my sump-less 20gal rock steady.
Problem is that one isn’t available in Australia :(

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is that one isn’t available in Australia :(
I'm so sorry...I meant to say XP Aqua Sumpless ATO. (too many names to remember)
For reference;

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry...I meant to say XP Aqua Sumpless ATO. (too many names to remember)
For reference;
Yeah I read about that one. Not in Australia :/

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I read about that one. Not in Australia :/
It won't be too hard to make one yourself using an overflow box like these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-retrofit-overflow-box-with-backing.html

It doesn't need to be the same one, just give you an idea what to look for. Ask your LFS, or people make acrylic stuff for aquarium. Or salvage from old tank/hob overflow.

Hold it in place with some magnet, like algae scraper, or just good sealed ones. Then put your canister input in it.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Tunze 3155 on my 60 litre (15 gallon). It isn't pretty but I only have to top up the 25 litre reservoir once a month...

It works perfectly with the small water volume.

I plan on upgrading the aquarium once I've finished refurbishing the house so I wanted to get an ATO that could cope with a bigger tank.

Edit: I actually raised the water level after this picture was taken by raising the edge of the sensor magnets to the very top of the glass.

Pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

Last edited:

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze on one and an Icecap on the another. Both work great in tank, surface agitation isn’t really a problem. Both have a bit of a threshold before activating when the water is moving on the sensor. With Tunze you can actually see it on the controller; the low light will flash but the pump doesn’t activate until the sensor trips a certain amount. The Tunze is definitely higher quality (pump/controller) but the Icecap gets the job done fine too (just feels kind of cheap).

Lack of a sump is definitely not a barrier to ATO in any way. It adds clutter to the back of the tank but not as much as all the other equipment.

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a Tunze 3155 on my 60 litre (15 gallon). It isn't pretty but I only have to top up the 25 litre reservoir once a month...

It works perfectly with the small water volume.

I plan on upgrading the aquarium once I've finished refurbishing the house so I wanted to get an ATO that could cope with a bigger tank.

Edit: I actually raised the water level after this picture was taken by raising the edge of the sensor magnets to the very top of the glass.

Pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG
Looks good I think- don't mind the look of equipment personally :) if you use your algae scrubber to clean the glass does that create enough waves to set off your ATO? Thats my only worry that I will have to turn it off when I clean the glass

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be too hard to make one yourself using an overflow box like these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-retrofit-overflow-box-with-backing.html

It doesn't need to be the same one, just give you an idea what to look for. Ask your LFS, or people make acrylic stuff for aquarium. Or salvage from old tank/hob overflow.

Hold it in place with some magnet, like algae scraper, or just good sealed ones. Then put your canister input in it.
This might sound dumb ( im really new to reef keeping and the mechanics of it all ) but what does the overflow do?

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good I think- don't mind the look of equipment personally :) if you use your algae scrubber to clean the glass does that create enough waves to set off your ATO? Thats my only worry that I will have to turn it off when I clean the glass
I have the Tunze Osmolator ATO in my 40 Breeder and waves etc don’t set it off. It’s an optical sensor so I assume it requires a certain time threshold of dryness to activate the pump. I highly recommend this one. I’m giving it to my daughter for her personal rack as I’m upgrading to a bigger tank and going to a hydros system for everything to minimize wires/boxes. That ATO has never let me down though. Zero complaints. The only time I turn it off is for water changes.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you clean the glass and disturb the water you will get beeps out of the high level alarm. I usually unplug the ATO during maintenance and then catch the 1/4 litre of RO/DI pumped by the Tunze during 'boot up' to preserve my salinity.

The neat thing about the Tunze 3155 is that you can seperate the high level sensor onto a separate magnet (included) and this allows you to have a higher water level.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound dumb ( im really new to reef keeping and the mechanics of it all ) but what does the overflow do?
It keeps the water level in the tank consistent. When water evaporates, the water level inside the overflow box will drop first. That's a lost smaller area, thus it won't take as much evaporation to have the level drop enough to trigger the ATO. Put the ATO sensor inside there. It make the ATO top off more frequent in smaller amount each time.

It also the ATO sensor there won't be affected by wave in the tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back