ATO in display tank?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a tunze nano in a sumpless 25 gallon cube, so far I haven't had any issues with salinity swings from the evaporation. I had this same problem and really thought hard about the xp sumpless ato. Ultimately, I decided against it as I didnt want more things in the tank.

One more thing you might want to take into account is surface skimming. I didnt have a viable way to skim the surface, so I had to add in a small aquatop surface skimmer. While it's smaller than the sumpless ato, its still another thing in the tank to consider.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Ive been interested in buying an ATO for my 20 gallon saltwater tank but don't have a sump, just a good canister filter. So im wondering if I can place the sensor in my actual display tank? One side of my aquarium has some waves and the other doesn't so I'd place the sensor where there is very little water movement. This is the ATO I was interested in: https://www.reefsecrets.com.au/products/reef-secrets-smart-ato

Thanks
yeah, should work.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a tunze nano in a sumpless 25 gallon cube, so far I haven't had any issues with salinity swings from the evaporation. I had this same problem and really thought hard about the xp sumpless ato. Ultimately, I decided against it as I didnt want more things in the tank.

One more thing you might want to take into account is surface skimming. I didnt have a viable way to skim the surface, so I had to add in a small aquatop surface skimmer. While it's smaller than the sumpless ato, its still another thing in the tank to consider.
I use a submerged spray bar from the canister filter return aimed at the surface. Not as good as a skimmer but I don't get any film.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a submerged spray bar from the canister filter return aimed at the surface. Not as good as a skimmer but I don't get any film.
Unfortunately its not just the film that concerns me or even concerns me the most. I have enough surface agitation to not develop any film. I have cats in the house and sometimes cat hairs fall into the tank. The surface skimmer helps pull all those out lol

amsterdam_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is alsocome in handy
I use it for my qt tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-175636_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-175636_Samsung Internet.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211005_175804.jpg
    20211005_175804.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211005_175757.jpg
    20211005_175757.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It keeps the water level in the tank consistent. When water evaporates, the water level inside the overflow box will drop first. That's a lost smaller area, thus it won't take as much evaporation to have the level drop enough to trigger the ATO. Put the ATO sensor inside there. It make the ATO top off more frequent in smaller amount each time.

It also the ATO sensor there won't be affected by wave in the tank.
ahh gotcha, sounds good. ill have a look at my LFS for one :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back