cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello just messaging from the Arizona area, looking for some input. I’m fairly new to the world of saltwater aquarium care and could really use some advise. We have a 29 gallon tank about 3 months old housing two ocellaris clowns and a beautiful bunch of mushroom corals who have been doing fantastic. Recently about 2 weeks ago we’ve been getting a ton of green and brown algae (mostly brown). We noticed it would grow and spread like crazy when we had our light on, and the second it was turned off it would slow down/stop at least from what we’ve noticed. We know it’s pretty common for this to occur but any advise as to how to fix this. Most recent change have been more frequent water changes and the introduction of 3 trochas snails to try and clear it but it really hasn’t helped to much. Please help?
655F426E-6F2B-45D9-8D1D-B9EBA9D0115E.jpeg
941B22FC-078F-4EBE-88CA-75AFAB2D6C07.jpeg

blatherdrift

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown sounds like dinos. Maybe hold off on the water changes for a while and research methods to get rid of it.

going through the uglies is normal for new tanks. I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Use RODI water and wait for the algae to burn itself out on the silica that came in from your new sand and rock.

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not particularly familiar with this type of algae growth, but I may have a few tricks that could work.

First of all, how long do you leave your light on for? Perhaps you should invest in an automatic timer, one that turns it off/on after a set time. May be beneficial, especially if you're having continual issues. Secondly, what type of light are you using? I know that certain lights can cause an increase in algae growth and production because of the type of UV emitted. This could be contributing to the issue.

As far as removing the algae and "gunk" I wouldn't do any more water changes, especially if your parameters are good. Triple check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels to ensure that isn't part of the problem. Ammonia likes to do some funky things to tanks.

If you don't have one already, invest in a syphon and simply suck out the sand and algae with that. It'll remove it quickly and with no damage to the ecosystem. Clean the area as much as possible and look at getting some genuine aquatic plants (alive, not plastic) to help with the oxygen levels as well. This could also contribute.

And finally, what type of filter are you using? Bacteria growth and algae growth tend to go hand in hand. They definitely like to feed off of each other; a tank with a less than ideal filtration is like heaven to this kind of stuff. You should have a filtration system that is 2x greater than your actual tank size. (Example: I have a 50 gal salt. I use a Fluval canister filter that is suitable for 100-150gal aquariums.)

Hopefully this helps! If you're able to answer the above questions, I'll likely be able to help out a bit more. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
C

cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown sounds like dinos. Maybe hold off on the water changes for a while and research methods to get rid of it.

going through the uglies is normal for new tanks. I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Use RODI water and wait for the algae to burn itself out on the silica that came in from your new sand and rock.
I'm not particularly familiar with this type of algae growth, but I may have a few tricks that could work.

First of all, how long do you leave your light on for? Perhaps you should invest in an automatic timer, one that turns it off/on after a set time. May be beneficial, especially if you're having continual issues. Secondly, what type of light are you using? I know that certain lights can cause an increase in algae growth and production because of the type of UV emitted. This could be contributing to the issue.

As far as removing the algae and "gunk" I wouldn't do any more water changes, especially if your parameters are good. Triple check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels to ensure that isn't part of the problem. Ammonia likes to do some funky things to tanks.

If you don't have one already, invest in a syphon and simply suck out the sand and algae with that. It'll remove it quickly and with no damage to the ecosystem. Clean the area as much as possible and look at getting some genuine aquatic plants (alive, not plastic) to help with the oxygen levels as well. This could also contribute.

And finally, what type of filter are you using? Bacteria growth and algae growth tend to go hand in hand. They definitely like to feed off of each other; a tank with a less than ideal filtration is like heaven to this kind of stuff. You should have a filtration system that is 2x greater than your actual tank size. (Example: I have a 50 gal salt. I use a Fluval canister filter that is suitable for 100-150gal aquariums.)

Hopefully this helps! If you're able to answer the above questions, I'll likely be able to help out a bit more. Fingers crossed!
So we keep the light on for about 12 hours a day and 12 hours at night, trying to keep a set time somewhat imitating the light of the sun. And our light source could be the issue I'm not sure how to check to see what type of color or light it's emitting exactly. It's part of the tank lid, I believe the manual said just Bright White LED but nothing more, would it say somewhere on the light itself?

We do water changes depending on how the tank is looking about once every two weeks or so, checking our parameters frequently. Our Nitrites 2 and 3's along with the ammonia are always within their normal changes as well as Specific gravity.

Yes we have a syphon pump cleaner but it doesn't work very well on sand it's meant for gravel so we use it for water changes but not necessarily for the algae 100%. We don't really have anything plastic all our rocks are like rocks and we just have some sea shells to decorate the tank, should we take these out?

And our filtration system is the Top Fin® Silenstream™ Power Filter with frequent cartridge changes and an aerator to keep the tank oxygenated. Still will all this we have had no success.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help by the way I do appreciate it.
This is the filter system we have:

Attachments

• 5262298.jpeg
    5262298.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 40

HygienicMermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we keep the light on for about 12 hours a day and 12 hours at night, trying to keep a set time somewhat imitating the light of the sun. And our light source could be the issue I'm not sure how to check to see what type of color or light it's emitting exactly. It's part of the tank lid, I believe the manual said just Bright White LED but nothing more, would it say somewhere on the light itself?

We do water changes depending on how the tank is looking about once every two weeks or so, checking our parameters frequently. Our Nitrites 2 and 3's along with the ammonia are always within their normal changes as well as Specific gravity.

Yes we have a syphon pump cleaner but it doesn't work very well on sand it's meant for gravel so we use it for water changes but not necessarily for the algae 100%. We don't really have anything plastic all our rocks are like rocks and we just have some sea shells to decorate the tank, should we take these out?

And our filtration system is the Top Fin® Silenstream™ Power Filter with frequent cartridge changes and an aerator to keep the tank oxygenated. Still will all this we have had no success.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help by the way I do appreciate it.
This is the filter system we have:
Heyo! So sorry for the delay on my response.

I would reduce the time the light is on. I'd have to do a little more research on what light produces more growth and whatnot, because I don't remember the specifics. If you bought the lighting system with the tank, you're likely fine.

As the other person mentioned, definitely hold off on the water changes. Some bacteria growth is normal, but we don't want to disrupt the ecosystem too much. Tanks do have their ugly phase, but this seems a little to much to me.

Where did the shells come from? I personally had some that I got in Florida, and I ended up having to take them out. I had boiled them before, but I think that it contributed to the recent disruption I've had. If they're plastic, they're probably okay. Just make sure the paint doesn't flake - but that's not related to this stuff.

The one thing I would change IMMEDIATELY is the filtration type you are using. I have plenty of experience with filters and have done everything wrong in the book when it comes to them. TopFin is one of the worst brands I've personally dealt with. The circulation amount is way too low and that can definitely contribute. Truthfully, you'll have to open up the wallet quite a bit. In order to have good circulation and a well balanced ecosystem, you'll want to invest in a canister filter. I would 110% recommend the Fluval brand. The more circulation, the better. I personally have the FX4 for my salt. Spendy, but worth it.

Eventually get a better syphon but the filter is more of a priority than anything. Hopefully this helps!! Sorry you're having issues. Any more casualties?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do nothing, wait it out. It will go away, normal. If dinos you may wait longer, but don't do anything crazy, dinos don't have to be a PITA, but they require patience.

OP
OP
C

cnmonetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo! So sorry for the delay on my response.

I would reduce the time the light is on. I'd have to do a little more research on what light produces more growth and whatnot, because I don't remember the specifics. If you bought the lighting system with the tank, you're likely fine.

As the other person mentioned, definitely hold off on the water changes. Some bacteria growth is normal, but we don't want to disrupt the ecosystem too much. Tanks do have their ugly phase, but this seems a little to much to me.

Where did the shells come from? I personally had some that I got in Florida, and I ended up having to take them out. I had boiled them before, but I think that it contributed to the recent disruption I've had. If they're plastic, they're probably okay. Just make sure the paint doesn't flake - but that's not related to this stuff.

The one thing I would change IMMEDIATELY is the filtration type you are using. I have plenty of experience with filters and have done everything wrong in the book when it comes to them. TopFin is one of the worst brands I've personally dealt with. The circulation amount is way too low and that can definitely contribute. Truthfully, you'll have to open up the wallet quite a bit. In order to have good circulation and a well balanced ecosystem, you'll want to invest in a canister filter. I would 110% recommend the Fluval brand. The more circulation, the better. I personally have the FX4 for my salt. Spendy, but worth it.

Eventually get a better syphon but the filter is more of a priority than anything. Hopefully this helps!! Sorry you're having issues. Any more casualties?

Just do nothing, wait it out. It will go away, normal. If dinos you may wait longer, but don't do anything crazy, dinos don't have to be a PITA, but they require patience.
Thank you for all your input, recently we have witnessed a major decrease in algae grown closer to none than how it was before. I really appreciate all the advice and help and will definitely look into changing some stuff in the interest of our fish. I have some other post with a few question if you guys had some input? Thank youuuu!

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying this is what you need, but since you need to spend money on a filter and probably a light and don't want a big tank, you might want to have a quick look at AIO (All In One) tanks first. Just a thought.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

Back