Automated testing... Need some opinions please!!

scubajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run the trident for about 4 months now and just started using it for controlled dosing using the Neptune dos. Too early to tell on that front but find it fairly accurate and highly recommended it.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the alkatronic, reefbot, and trident.

I started with the Alkatronic as at the time it was the only one available and I read great reviews. After running it for just over year I’ve had zero issues with it. Calibration is easy, and you can connect it to an APeX system to get the readings to show up on your dash board. Only issue I’ve had is not being able to find pump replacements, so if anyone can link me to these that’d be great. Ideally it’d make sense to replace the peristaltic pumps after 1 year.

I picked up the reefbot the day they were released. Almost 1 year later of use, I still love it. I use it for phosphate, nitrate, and magnesium. I have had a few issues with it, though both times the issues were resolved and I can honestly say the customer support was outstanding. One issue resulted in having to get a whole newreefbot which was covered under warranty, and the most recent required a reflash of the software. It’s still working great. I primarily use this like my lab assistant so I can spot check levels while I’m at work.

Of note, both the Alkatronic and reefbot utize raspberry pi’s. So sometimes you can run into log in issueswhen you go between blue tooth and WiFi. I typically only use blue tooth for calibrating my Alkatronic. Software upgrades h e made this much better, though when it gets stuck a simple power on and off does the trick.

I’ve had the trident since December, and it’s really been the easiest to use of the 3. To me it’s like the iPhone of automatic testers And integration with my apex is really easy. Only thing I wish is that I could reduce alk tests as each bottle lasts about 1 month. Mag and Calcium are close to 2 months. I do travel for work and can be away for long periods of time and missing a regrant change messes things up. I was able to purchase a years worth of regents over the Black Friday sales for a significant discount, and would recommend that as a route to save a few dollars. It will be interesting to see how the required maintenance goes at the 1 year mark, as I don’t know how Neptune will be handling this. Hopefully it’s as easy as mailing it in for service or they come up with a really simple DIY kit.

so, if you can, I’d recommend a few auto testers. The reefbot is good for those random spot checks, and one of the others for daily tests. If I only could have 1, if you have the apex system, get a trident. If you don’t, I’m a big fan of the Alkatronic.

Ricky_Reef

Diamond Goby Lover/Hater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Trident Daniel, I'm out on the road 5 days a week and this thing has been an unbelievable stress reliever! Without my Apex controller and the Trident I don't think my tank would be in as good of shape as it is. My wife keeps up with topping off RODI reservoir, feeding and adding trace elements and with the Apex and Trident I can get her to adjust anything else just by looking at my phone.... Trident has been running for 6 months without a hiccup!

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself will be holding out on any automated testing for now. It doesn't kill me to test my water every other day for now. Mindstream was looking promising, but that's down the tubes now. Reefbot never caught my attention since it looks clunky, and uses API. Ill be waiting for the Trident 4.0 to come out as I am sure they might be working on a new unit already that will additionally test No3, and Po4.
What is trident 4.0 ? What are 1.0. 2.0 and 3.0?
Source please

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have a full apex system, i guess Neptune trident is your best option. And it can be integrated with DOS pumps to adjust the dosing amount.

I got a complete apex system with trident and dos and I love it. The only issue I am facing now that sometimes i got inaccurate readings when the regrant is almost empty.

For the reefbot I don’t actually own one, seen it running on other tanks and shops. I like the idea of it and looks like a good device. However for me “control freak” I like to control everything from a single place “Apex fusion”

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back