Automatic Filter Roller Extending Fleece Life with Apex

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clarisea SK-5000 on a new system, but figure this could apply to any automatic roller. I was considering having the filter rollers turned off via the apex except for once or twice a day. I have not had the automatic roller for long, so I am wondering if anyone can think of any issues with doing this?

Here is the programming I was considering:

1606523818785.png

My reasoning is that on my current system with filter socks, I change the socks once to twice per week. So if have the automatic roller programmed to run one once a day, I am still changing the mechanical filter more often than with most sock set ups. This will have the benefit of not having to change socks and also having the filter roll last longer.

The other effect of this will be that the organics in the filter will have more time to break down increasing dissolved organics in the water. I'm not sure if this is a plus or minus. I'm not sure that stripping the water of all dissolved organics is a good thing either for the coral or the macroalgae in the refugium. The skimmer may also work better with a slight increase in dissolved organics. This would be likely difficult to measure, but I can't see that having organics breaking down for 12-24 hours before removal would be that detrimental.

I like the idea of making the rolls last longer, but any downside that I'm not considering? Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week, I've adjusted my programming.

IMG_2864.jpg

My system is new so I have progressively made adjustments. Currently there are only a few fish in the system and feeding is low. I added flow meters to both return lines and increased the tank turnover to about about 950 gph. As I have made changes, I have been keeping an eye on the roller chamber for overflow. Having the roller on once / day wasn't adequate once I increased the flow.

Right now I have the roller set to be on at 8 am , 2 pm, and 8 pm for about 30 minutes. This is working well, and I check periodically to confirm the chamber isn't overflowing. As the system's bioload grows, feeding will increase and I may need to increase the frequency the roller comes on during the day. Will see how long these rolls can last.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 12 weeks, time to change my first roll. I have two filter rollers and the first one rolls a little more frequently, so I have adjusted the programming between the two rollers to have the first roller timed to come on less frequently. I'm sure I will continue to make adjustments, but I'm happy to have extended the time before I need to change the roll.

IMG_4055.jpg

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Geo sump and the first filter roller lasted like 3 weeks while the second is barely half used. What did you settle on for for rollers?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm still experimenting. I never had a true baseline without a timer so I decided to see how things go without the timer for a cycle and see if the timers are extending the life by much on the rolls.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm still experimenting. I never had a true baseline without a timer so I decided to see how things go without the timer for a cycle and see if the timers are extending the life by much on the rolls.
How is this going? I just installed dual SK-5000s on my new tank and I'm now thinking about how to really integrate it with my Apex.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this going? I just installed dual SK-5000s on my new tank and I'm now thinking about how to really integrate it with my Apex.
I am still working to find the best configuration. In the past 8 months I have replaced the first filter roll twice and the second filter roll once. There is about 900 gph flow through the sump.

Some people suggested I just use the float sensors or even adjust the float sensors. The first filter roller gets triggered more often than the second. Adjusting the float sensors did not work for me and they're back to the original configuration. I tried running both rollers and found the first roller would be triggerd much more frequently and the second would periodically alarm due to not being triggered. Based on this, I found there was roll for the timer at least when using the dual rollers.

I last changed the configuration two months ago. Currently I have the first roller on a timer. It is off most of the day and the is on for one hour in the evenings. When it is off and the paper is clogs, it overflows into the second filter roller which is currently operating with the float sensor and no timer. Here is my current programming and status of the filter rolls after 9 weeks.

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 6.38.46 AM.jpg
IMG_6043.jpg

The first roller will last a long time this way. I suspect more than 6 months, but will find out. The second filter roll is advancing more frequently at this point and looks like it will last around 12 weeks from the last change.

I like this programming better than my last two iterations because it is simpler. I didn't love frequently turning the unit on and off, but not sure it is necessarily bad for the unit's electronics either. The timer has a role at least with the dual filter rollers but I'm considering adding a timer back to the second roller after the next roll change. I'm satisfied with the current programming for the first filter roll.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your setup has the water first going to one filter and then to the second filter? My setup splits the water flow and sends each filter it's own water. I've only had them running for about 48 hours, but the seem to be using the same amount of filter material.

Also, I've not seen red Clarisea filters before and my used filters look different than yours. Are yours first gen filters?

200gBuildSump-194348.jpg

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your setup has the water first going to one filter and then to the second filter? My setup splits the water flow and sends each filter it's own water. I've only had them running for about 48 hours, but the seem to be using the same amount of filter material.

Also, I've not seen red Clarisea filters before and my used filters look different than yours. Are yours first gen filters?

200gBuildSump-194348.jpg

Regarding orientation of the filter rollers, they are in series. They are red because the frame was built by the acrylic sump manufacturer as they came integrated in the sump. Pure aesthetics, doesn't affect function. These pictures show the layout:

image0.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Regarding the fleece, I believe they're the same. Your material looks different because the float is getting triggered while the fleece is less soiled. Can you adjust the level of the float? Do you know the flow passing through?

IMG_6046.jpg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice looking sump, all the covers on it is super nice.

Our fleece is the same and mine is definitely not as soiled as yours. I can adjust the floats quite a bit, so I'll give that a try. What is interesting to me is that your used fleece does not show the pattern of the acrylic like mine does. I'm guessing that is a by product of yours only rolling a couple of times a day? Even the areas of the filter that are not directly passing water through them are getting soiled just as much due to the length they are in the water.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice looking sump, all the covers on it is super nice.

Our fleece is the same and mine is definitely not as soiled as yours. I can adjust the floats quite a bit, so I'll give that a try. What is interesting to me is that your used fleece does not show the pattern of the acrylic like mine does. I'm guessing that is a by product of yours only rolling a couple of times a day? Even the areas of the filter that are not directly passing water through them are getting soiled just as much due to the length they are in the water.

One thing I noticed is when only using the float sensors on both rollers, it reduced the amount of skimmate I was producing and I had very little macro algae growth in the refugium.

That's ok if that's your goal, but I don't mind some of the organics dissolving in the water. My system is under a year old and I'm still working toward achieving the right balance. Currently, the chaeto is growing well in the fuge and the skimmer is doing its thing albeit not removing the same quantity of skimmate as it was initially.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back