OP
Rick's Reef

Rick's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rick, been trying to figure out a AWC for my set up and can u tell me how do you link the PMUP in the garage to your apex? From what I could see if you don't have the FMM then have to go with the 1-Link but the PMUP in the sump need to be attached to that and so does the PMUP in the garage. I feel my brain hurt when I try and figure this one out. Thanks

Hi flo. My garage is about 35' away as measured by length of cable and tubing. It is actually only about 15' away, but the way I routed the tubing and cable up the wall, through the attic and then down in the garage, it is really about 35'. I ran a bundle of tubing that consisted of four 1/4", two 3/8" poly tubes plus a single Aquabus cable. In the garage, I have an EB832 that is connected to the main controller with that Aquabus cable. The Fill PMUP is then plugged into the EB832 in the garage.

Cheers,
Rick

flo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rick, Thanks for the reply. I am looking at getting a few of the PMUPs today just making sure I can actually connect and run all tubing & cables from basement to two tanks one floor up. How are you liking the PMUP for water changes now that its been running for awhile?

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want to steal Rick’s thunder but I am really liking mine. My only problem is that one of my PMUP’s doesn’t automatically start pumping water. I need to shake it up and down a few times and then it finally starts. Not sure why...seems like it is losing prime. Mine has to go up about 12-14 feet. Once it gets going the pressure is really good. I can remove 3 gallons or so from my sump in about 2 mins or less.

flo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hay Lone star reef, might I ask where did you get the tubing from and also can you let me know what size I need to order. Thanks

OP
OP
Rick's Reef

Rick's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liking mine also. I don't have a problem with losing prime unless I take the PMUP out of the water, in which case I have to shake it like @LoneStarReef said.

Only issues I have had were my own doing. I killed a PMUP already because I had re-purposed the output line of the one I use to fill my FW reservoir to pump some clean water to use as a rinse for some equipment. Then I re-connected the line but I left the PMUP in the off state. So then the reservoir went empty and the PMUP there used for ATO ran dry all day....now I have one dead PMUP. Actually, I should post a picture - it went from being a nice plastic cylinder to having a perfect sphere around the impeller, presumably melted by the heat of running dry :(. $40 down the drain!

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use basically the same setup, except I run a diaphragm pump for a set period of time instead of filling up to a sensor. One less thing to fail imo.
I also use an industrial float switch instead of the optical sensor. I had concerns that the optical sensors have a high failure rate. But they tend to fail closed, so looking at your programming, I think you should be safe, although you might want to double check.

Seand03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything still going good with the setup? Im working on the same thing but for the draining im just going to T off my GFO reactor pump with 1/4 ro tubing and 2 apex soloniods to hold the water from getting out when i dont want it too (i figure with 2 the chance of both failing in the open state are slim)

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving mine. I need to have Neptune check my PMUP as it is having trouble priming itself and takes a while to start pumping water so I cannot set it up to do automatically yet. I have to wiggle it to get it to prime and start drawing water. It is only one of my PMUP’s so I’m thinking it is defective. Anyway, I love not having to lug buckets around. Water changes are actually enjoyable. Once it is fully automated it will be even better!! Plus I like the idea of more frequent smaller water changes. It makes things more consistent in our reefs.

everything still going good with the setup? Im working on the same thing but for the draining im just going to T off my GFO reactor pump with 1/4 ro tubing and 2 apex soloniods to hold the water from getting out when i dont want it too (i figure with 2 the chance of both failing in the open state are slim)

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you do this same setup and programming with better pumps? I'm hearing this pumps fail a lot and the reviews are terrible.

Couldn't you buy a couple small sicce pumps and set up the same thing? Would be faster as well.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread because I’m setting up a remote frag tank and was planning on using display tank water by recirculating the water every hour or so using PMUP’s. But I remember reading somewhere that the PMUP would fail in saltwater and it’s made for freshwater use only?

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you do this same setup and programming with better pumps? I'm hearing this pumps fail a lot and the reviews are terrible.

Couldn't you buy a couple small sicce pumps and set up the same thing? Would be faster as well.

I've heard the same stories about the PMUP's...the only reason I could see to buy one would the the easy integration/control with APEX

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread because I’m setting up a remote frag tank and was planning on using display tank water by recirculating the water every hour or so using PMUP’s. But I remember reading somewhere that the PMUP would fail in saltwater and it’s made for freshwater use only?

Not long term but had one running continuously for a bit over a year with no problems , pumping tank water thru a reactor.
I've now got it turning on & off several times an hour so will have to see how it takes that punishment.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long term but had one running continuously for a bit over a year with no problems , pumping tank water thru a reactor.
I've now got it turning on & off several times an hour so will have to see how it takes that punishment.
That’s good to hear, even if I have to buy new ones every year, it’s cheaper than a $600 peristaltic pump that can move as much water as I need.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 100G saltwater mixing container to pump out water to other tanks and have had zero issues. I bought it basically when they first came out.

Also in this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/5656412 they are using one fulltime in saltwater to move water from their sump into a refugium

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick's Reef @LoneStarReef

Getting ready to do a new build and I am wondering how this automated water change method is holding up?

It’s been great so far. Make sure to use a backflow valve so the line doesn’t go dry. That’s why I was having issues with priming. Other than that, it’s worked great so far. Just hit my “auto water change” and voila it starts. I don’t have it on auto run now. Still makes me nervous having it run when I’m not here.

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you stopping the pump from siphoning all the water out of the sump when it shuts off?

Back