AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is WOW!, for two reasons!
First is the absolutely crazy attention to detail on this build. You my friend have set the bar for seeking perfection in the reef tank!;)

Secondly, because while I have know of you from your other threads for a long time, and always wanted to order some SPS from you (and I will someday), I've never read your build thread before. This took me a couple days to read, and since I thought I was really late to the party (like three years!!:):eek:), I figured I would get to see it from beginning to Amazing Reef! But no, the saga continues to this day!

Subscribed to this thread, I want to see this progress to a reefing masterpiece!

Tom

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will gladly this accept the award, if it is offered to me. Thank you, Jason for your nomination! :)

Is there an award on R2R for "Most Patient Reefer of All Time?" Because if so, you know who deserves it!

Thank you so much Tom for the compliments! This thread is a marathon, not a sprint. It is not like I stopped collecting crazy colored sticks along the way. Rather, I want to be sure my new rock/structure is mature enough to support the corals I am most passionate about before moving forward. :)

All I can say is WOW!, for two reasons!
First is the absolutely crazy attention to detail on this build. You my friend have set the bar for seeking perfection in the reef tank!;)

Secondly, because while I have know of you from your other threads for a long time, and always wanted to order some SPS from you (and I will someday), I've never read your build thread before. This took me a couple days to read, and since I thought I was really late to the party (like three years!!:):eek:), I figured I would get to see it from beginning to Amazing Reef! But no, the saga continues to this day!

Subscribed to this thread, I want to see this progress to a reefing masterpiece!

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few new arrivals and a polished gem to share! :)

This is what prized SPS frags look like after shipping/transit, dips and qt. Not pretty at first, but like a fine wine, these frags will be keepers!

RR Avenger

Z's (Watchguy123) Prize

Z's (Watchguy123) Yellow Eyed Jawdropper

Next up, meet AV99's Lightning In A Bottle acropora. This gem has been in my system since 2014 and explodes with color under daylight halides. Slow grower but well worth the wait!

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the reason to round the ends of the pvc?

It’s called chamfering . It’s very important to chamfer edges of pipes while gluing especially for large ones that Tim is using . I always chamfer for a leak free plumbing even if it’s 1/2 inch or 2.5 inch .

Regards,
Abhishek

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you go into a little more detail on curing the lr? Wc's, sponge seeding, bacteria, and what ever else you can think of?
Perhaps I miss id'd it but, it looked like you have some vermidt snails in your grow out tank. I was curious to your thoughts on them. I'm doing an upgrade and I can't stand them. However I do not want to lose any of the bacteria, sponges, and other life on them.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kept the large Pukani rock in complete darkness (no natural or artificial light) curing in large Rubbermaid containers for the first year, and periodically dosed with Phosphate RX as well. When I moved the large rock into my 600g display aquarium, I still kept the rock in darkness but added three large bottles of Dr. Tim's Live Nitrifying Bacteria to the aquarium to help further cure the rock. As a result, the Pukani rock is probably mature enough to support SPS now without the need of adding any sponges or seed rock from my grow-out system.

0000unnamed_zps3fhchsww.jpeg

IMG_6531_zpsykoc1ndx.jpg

IMG_6532_zpshbxe0wau.jpg

IMG_6528_zpsxdyxraf9.jpg

Can you go into a little more detail on curing the lr? Wc's, sponge seeding, bacteria, and what ever else you can think of?
Perhaps I miss id'd it but, it looked like you have some vermidt snails in your grow out tank. I was curious to your thoughts on them. I'm doing an upgrade and I can't stand them. However I do not want to lose any of the bacteria, sponges, and other life on them.

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. What is the reasoning for no light? I have had a large portion of rock in a 100 gallon bin of sw since September. Ive been adding the fritz bacteria to it every so often. I've also been using my wc water for my wc on the tub. My rock has been sitting in my basement with ambient light from the window wells. Am I opening myself up for problems?

Not sure if you want these kind of questions in your thread. If you prefer I can PM instead.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The purpose of keeping my live rock in darkness while curing is to prevent algae blooms until it is mature enough to support the type of corals I am passionate about. I would recommend using blackout curtains for your basement windows, as natural sunlight exposure may encourage the wrong type of algae growth on your rock before its fully cured.

Thank you for the response. What is the reasoning for no light? I have had a large portion of rock in a 100 gallon bin of sw since September. Ive been adding the fritz bacteria to it every so often. I've also been using my wc water for my wc on the tub. My rock has been sitting in my basement with ambient light from the window wells. Am I opening myself up for problems?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an award on R2R for "Most Patient Reefer of All Time?" Because if so, you know who deserves it!
At first when I saw this I thought wow he must of been waiting maybe a year or so to set this up, but no he’s been going for 3 dam years and hasn’t got anything live in it yet haha. That would drive me insane

Back