Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to reefing and have just bought a hippo tang. He is tank raised and was done perfectly fine when I bought him yesterday. He’s been in the tank for about 14 hours or so at night. He’s belly is white aswell as his face a tiny bit. He sits in one corner and just swims around and hangs out with the clownfish that also loves just chilling in the corner. I just fed him for the first time and he was a bit confused but seems to be doing ok. My clownfish picks at him sometimes not sure if he is biting stuff off of him. When he swims he also twitch’s sometimes to when he swims. And my lavender tang flares his fins up at him when the tang comes to see how everyone is doing. Not sure if this is normal. I don’t have a QT tank just acclimated him and threw him right in. The lighting does make his belly seem a lot white than he is just by the way. Let me know if anyone needs better pictures of videos I can’t really get a good pic.
Thanks in advance!

F9964E5C-404E-4709-BAE9-9F3A96DF2836.jpeg AD3C36C2-9EE2-4936-83ED-EC72E04928E0.jpeg AFDE5142-4878-4371-8AA0-738686BA1C50.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Normal hepatus tang behavior and will be bashful the first few weeks

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal hepatus tang behavior and will be bashful the first few weeks
I noticed that his right fin is like green and he doesn’t move it as much. He twitch’s aswell sometimes when he Normally swims. Not sure if it is because of his fins. Should I try to return him?

5567B95B-D399-4352-9223-8179EC00A041.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6675.MOV
    72.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bellly looks a little sunken to me. Is he eating?

1660153775420.png
He was eating frozen shrimp. I just fed pellets and he doesn’t seem to be eating alot of it. My big lavender tang keeps picking at him and he usually stays with the clownfish in the corner and they sometimes pick at each other. I see my lavender tang puff his fins ay the hippo when he swims buy. And they both bite each other. Not sure if I should try to return the hippo. He also twitches when he swims

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to reefing and have just bought a hippo tang. He is tank raised and was done perfectly fine when I bought him yesterday. He’s been in the tank for about 14 hours or so at night. He’s belly is white aswell as his face a tiny bit. He sits in one corner and just swims around and hangs out with the clownfish that also loves just chilling in the corner. I just fed him for the first time and he was a bit confused but seems to be doing ok. My clownfish picks at him sometimes not sure if he is biting stuff off of him. When he swims he also twitch’s sometimes to when he swims. And my lavender tang flares his fins up at him when the tang comes to see how everyone is doing. Not sure if this is normal. I don’t have a QT tank just acclimated him and threw him right in. The lighting does make his belly seem a lot white than he is just by the way. Let me know if anyone needs better pictures of videos I can’t really get a good pic.
Thanks in advance!

F9964E5C-404E-4709-BAE9-9F3A96DF2836.jpeg AD3C36C2-9EE2-4936-83ED-EC72E04928E0.jpeg AFDE5142-4878-4371-8AA0-738686BA1C50.jpeg
When I added my Hippo Tang, my clownfish picked on her for a couple days only when she got too close to their territory. Same did my yellow watchman Goby. After a few days it was a peaceful again. Now my tang is bigger and is the aggressor but not in a bad way. Give it some time and they all should be ok.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my Hippo Tang, my clownfish picked on her for a couple days only when she got too close to their territory. Same did my yellow watchman Goby. After a few days it was a peaceful again. Now my tang is bigger and is the aggressor but not in a bad way. Give it some time and they all should be ok.
Ok thank you very much. Just scared. Don’t want him to die. Where we live they get pretty expensive saltwater fish. So it’s fine if the lavender tang bites him and stuff and the clown? I’m waiting to see him eat a bit there’s pellets on the ground he’s trying to eat. But everytime the lavender bites him he twitches after not sure what to do. But thank you. Not sure if this message was confusing lol

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you very much. Just scared. Don’t want him to die. Where we live they get pretty expensive saltwater fish. So it’s fine if the lavender tang bites him and stuff and the clown? I’m waiting to see him eat a bit there’s pellets on the ground he’s trying to eat. But everytime the lavender bites him he twitches after not sure what to do. But thank you. Not sure if this message was confusing lol
What size is your tank by the way?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back