Baby???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Besides turning off the flow for very little and pumping in a lot of bbs how else can I assure they get food. I’ve seen one or two trying to eat but that’s about it.
They wait for food to come to them as they are very slow swimming and dont have the best eyesight

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think i will try to put the bbs right where they are resting to encourage eating?
They wait for food to come to them as they are very slow swimming and dont have the best eyesight
After a long day I get home and see the 4th seahorse is grasping onto the hatchery and looks better when I left a couple hours ago. However I counted all the babies as I usually do and for the past two days I’ve counted 4. Today I counted 5 and guess the lost strangler was found and returned near the others. I scanned the entire tank like a monster trying to find it, nothing until today. 5/5 for now :D

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any idea in how long they take to fully stake there claim and I won’t have to worry as much. They are 5 days old tomorrow morning and I assume after 2 weeks I should be less worrisome?
thoughts?

Also tank temperature is 77.5 is that too high?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any idea in how long they take to fully stake there claim and I won’t have to worry as much. They are 5 days old tomorrow morning and I assume after 2 weeks I should be less worrisome?
thoughts?

Also tank temperature is 77.5 is that too high?
76 ideal and agree at week 4 they should be accepting frozen while some live is good and have increased slightly in size than

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I speed up bbs hatching rate, I just found 3 seahorses in my filter and was able to save them and place them on a branch. Now I have to feed 4 babies 2 adults. BTW had no idea they were expecting :0
Raise water temp to about 80. That’ll speed it up a bit. BBS usually hatch within 48hrs. Can’t remember exact incubation period.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Frozen bbs is completely different than frozen brine shrimp right?
No. One is live and free swimming and other is live that's been frozen

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should read the articles at Alyssa’s seahorse savvy, very insightful.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my adults are not even eating frozen bbs should I get them on frozen alongside the babies?
That is optional. I prefer live but frozen offers same values and is cheaper in cost

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So
That is optional. I prefer live but frozen offers same values and is cheaper in cost
So unfortunately I just discovered my Ruby dragonet has died. He has been in the tank for 10 days. He was fine all day today and every time I would look at him it looks as if his mouth was gasping or like he was trying to eat but the tank does have many bbs swimming around. He was fine all day and slowly made his way around the tank in a circle. I had guest over tonught and he was alive all night, just 10 mins ago I checked he’s on his back. I am going to get him out asap but what can I assume? Baby seahorses are okay and parents as well.

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So

So unfortunately I just discovered my Ruby dragonet has died. He has been in the tank for 10 days. He was fine all day today and every time I would look at him it looks as if his mouth was gasping or like he was trying to eat but the tank does have many bbs swimming around. He was fine all day and slowly made his way around the tank in a circle. I had guest over tonught and he was alive all night, just 10 mins ago I checked he’s on his back. I am going to get him out asap but what can I assume? Baby seahorses are okay and parents as well.
Did you have any copepods in the aquarium?

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was 2.5 months old. Constantly add newly hatched bbs with 3 different rotations of batches.
2.5 months is a bit soon to add a dragonet for starters and they need a massive amount of pods either dosing them often or culturing them or using a refugium to let them reproduce. How big is the tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank was 2.5 months old. Constantly add newly hatched bbs with 3 different rotations of batches.
Tank was mature enough for mandarin. Its not food. May have been bacterial or with gasping, possible ammonia or nitrate spike

Back