Back up circulation during hurricane

Mikgyver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
528d59c5d0840289f01085f59f8e027f.png

Anyone have experience using a 12v deep cycle battery and a aeration setup to keep a tank alive during a long term power outage??

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea! I do this but with the smaller floating bucket aerators. A deep cycle marine battery runs 1 of these for Just over 24hrs. If you have 2 batteries with a way to charge, even a vehicle or boat, it's feasible. Ideally, a generator is the way to go. I am here in Miami keeping my fingers crossed tonight cause I don't got a generator. Things are looking a little better for us, moving west.

OP
OP
M

Mikgyver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea! I do this but with the smaller floating bucket aerators. A deep cycle marine battery runs 1 of these for Just over 24hrs. If you have 2 batteries with a way to charge, even a vehicle or boat, it's feasible. Ideally, a generator is the way to go. I am here in Miami keeping my fingers crossed tonight cause I don't got a generator. Things are looking a little better for us, moving west.

I'm a little north in Boynton Beach, I'm hoping to make it through with only a short outage. I'd have to borrow a generator from my parents but I was thinking this would be a good over night solution.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little north in Boynton Beach, I'm hoping to make it through with only a short outage. I'd have to borrow a generator from my parents but I was thinking this would be a good over night solution.

My brother is in boynton beach. Hope all you Floridians fair well during the storm.

I must've said this a 100 times but your best bet is a vortech pump hooked up to a dry cell. I ran an mp40 for almost 5 days on a single charge when I lost power during hurricane Irene years back. I didn't lose a thing in my tank.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got this pump that I hook up to a trolling motor. And these brand new solar powered ones ready to go too
735890f8eab8caeb642ae423fbf26141.jpg

ea2ad94b6308fad149b5918d7aa024c5.jpg

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother is in boynton beach. Hope all you Floridians fair well during the storm.

I must've said this a 100 times but your best bet is a vortech pump hooked up to a dry cell. I ran an mp40 for almost 5 days on a single charge when I lost power during hurricane Irene years back. I didn't lose a thing in my tank.

I will have this for the next one!!

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you provide a link to the type of battery I need and any other parts necessary to make this work. With Irma hitting us and now Maria coming again I want to have this set up ready.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a link to the type of battery I need and any other parts necessary to make this work. With Irma hitting us and now Maria coming again I want to have this set up ready.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/battery-back-up-for-your-vortech.59473/ check this thread out. Your best bet is using a sealed battery like an optima or a die hard platinum. Regular batteries release gases that are harmful so you don't want it in your house. The down side is that they are expensive, you can use the battery box like in that thread though and it should be ok. A deep cycle battery would be better than a regular car Battery the float charger will maintain the charge on the battery but it isn't necessary for it to work.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back