BAD ICH PROBLEM

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys i have a bad ich problem on my tank and i am looking got a solution to fix this and treat it the right way.

Only problem i have is that i live in a small studio and don't have space for a quarantine tank so that is out of the way
i am looking for a reef safe option to treat and fix this problem

Thank you

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG
IMG_4861.JPG
IMG_4862.JPG
IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4870.JPG

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the best way would be QT. I have set up QT on kitchen counter myself. Not the best, but it worked.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never treated ick in any of my tangs. I double their feeding and hold temperature and all other parameters as steady as I can. Seems to me my fish then build their immune response and never show signs of it again.

We’re these newly added fish?

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they where added about 3 weeks ago and no sign of ich until now

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no effective manner to eradicate ich from a reef tank. There are some things you can do to help your fish survive and even thrive with ich. You can use a product like Polyplab Medic to help knock down the parasites numbers while your fish build an immunity.

One key is low stress so make sure you have great water quality. You need to use a high quality food such as LRS, Rod's, PE Mysis or even make your own using fresh seafood. If you are using pellets or flake it won't work as well.

Another thing that can help is to add an oversized UV filter and run it at flows appropriate for parasites (as opposed to the higher flow used for algae/bacteria).

You will also have to accept the fact that some fish come to us with their immune systems so damaged they cannot fight off a parasite. Some fish, especially Tangs, struggle more with ich than fish like wrasses or clowns.

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never treated ick in any of my tangs. I double their feeding and hold temperature and all other parameters as steady as I can. Seems to me my fish then build their immune response and never show signs of it again.

We’re these newly added fish?
Worked for me

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys i have a bad ich problem on my tank and i am looking got a solution to fix this and treat it the right way.

Only problem i have is that i live in a small studio and don't have space for a quarantine tank so that is out of the way
i am looking for a reef safe option to treat and fix this problem

Thank you

Hey how’s it goin man?! You know I think you’re supposed to heat up the tank so the fish build up a good slime coat. But check with a fish expert first. I’m definitely not. But that’s what I’ve heard does the trick. But be careful as Changing it to much or too fast will kill things for sure. Most fish have that parasite already in their system, but it doesn’t come out unless the fish is stressed or something from what I know. But check.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reef safe remedy and by the time your fish look that bad, ich and/or velvet is too far along for ich management, IMO. You’ll need to make room for a QT to save your fish.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reef safe remedy and by the time your fish look that bad, ich and/or velvet is too far along for ich management, IMO. You’ll need to make room for a QT to save your fish.
I have had mine be completely covered and still come back. I run an ich management system. However, it looks like one of the fish the OP has is a purple tang. Zebrasoma tangs IME are generally OK with ich management, but tangs as a species can be kind of touchy when it comes to ich. Since QT is not an option as the OP already stated, ich management is the logical solution.

here is a helpful thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

I would try to get polyplab medic to reduce the number of parasites, feed healthy foods as said above, and keep params and temp stable.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw a vendor on reef2reef advertising a reef safe ich management medicine called Polylab Medic. I don't have experience with it but may be worth a shot. In the past before switching to quarantine methods I used UV, garlic, fresh foods like LRS and nori with garlic.

OP
OP
jordimex

jordimex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger Castel from Roger's Food was kind enough to make me a batch of medicated reef safe food that i am giving my fish at the moment, today was the first time i will keep you guys posted as stated above it will be hard to eradicate ich but ill try to manage it as best as possible

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine be completely covered and still come back. I run an ich management system. However, it looks like one of the fish the OP has is a purple tang. Zebrasoma tangs IME are generally OK with ich management, but tangs as a species can be kind of touchy when it comes to ich. Since QT is not an option as the OP already stated, ich management is the logical solution.

here is a helpful thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

I would try to get polyplab medic to reduce the number of parasites, feed healthy foods as said above, and keep params and temp stable.
I have too but I’ve lost far more of them at that stage than won. I practiced “ich management” for about a decade. I’ve watched dozens of tangs slowly die from this practice in that time.

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine used a diatom filter once a week for 2 or 3 weeks...Ich was gone. So he says.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine used a diatom filter once a week for 2 or 3 weeks...Ich was gone. So he says.
It probably helped reduce the number of free swimmers and the total population giving his fish time for their immune systems to protect them. This won’t work with many types of fish, many acanthurus tangs, for example.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this, it won’t work marginally with velvet. Tiny parasites harder to collect and they reproduce far faster, and thus are more deadly.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back