Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to purchase my fish at LiveAquaria due to the fact that they QT their fish and I do not have that option at home right now. Would it be ok to begin with two clowns? (23 gallon AIO) Kinda loving these guys here: Mated Pair of Clowns
It is much money - even if my way of starting never had gone wrong for me - I would not dare to start with such expensive animals :D - I do not even dare to introduce so expensive animals even in my 5 years old system :D However in my last started aquarium (around 23 G) I start with 3 small clowns but was very careful with the feeding.

I already bought and own Dr. Tim's One and Only, Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride (which you said not to use and will listen to you) as well as Dr. Tim's First Defense. Is this OK? Do you have recommendations on which one and amounts to dose? OR follow your recommendation: 20 ml per 100 liters/day. Also, please note that I will buying the AquaBiomics as mentioned above. Told they may have it ready 2nd week of June.

If these products are not sufficient, could you please suggest?
I have never use Dr Tim´s products but what I understand - One and only does its job. My main recommendation is to use it the way the producer say but solution with nitrifying bacteria can´t be overdosed so I can´t see a problem with a low daily dose too. If you use RO water to your salt mix - it is not - IMO - necessary to use first defence - but on the other hand - used as it should - it will not harm either

No problem, is this ok: Petco if not, please recommend one.
I have never used it but I can´t see that it not will work. I use Ocean Nutrition because it is common here in Sweden

LiveAquaria offers a bundle pack or I can pick and choose: here
Will you suggest a good mix for my bare bottom please?
My experiences is that it is good with so much differences as possible. Bare bottom - stay away from conch. nassarius and Babylon snails (sand dwellers). For me - the hermits have been very helpfully.

Is there a particular product you could recommend?
Nowadays I use Sodium nitrate even known as chile saltpetre. I buy it from the the spice shelf in my grocery store.

Your Welcome

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is much money - even if my way of starting never had gone wrong for me - I would not dare to start with such expensive animals :D - I do not even dare to introduce so expensive animals even in my 5 years old system :D However in my last started aquarium (around 23 G) I start with 3 small clowns but was very careful with the feeding.

I have never use Dr Tim´s products but what I understand - One and only does its job. My main recommendation is to use it the way the producer say but solution with nitrifying bacteria can´t be overdosed so I can´t see a problem with a low daily dose too. If you use RO water to your salt mix - it is not - IMO - necessary to use first defence - but on the other hand - used as it should - it will not harm either

I have never used it but I can´t see that it not will work. I use Ocean Nutrition because it is common here in Sweden

My experiences is that it is good with so much differences as possible. Bare bottom - stay away from conch. nassarius and Babylon snails (sand dwellers). For me - the hermits have been very helpfully.

Nowadays I use Sodium nitrate even known as chile saltpetre. I buy it from the the spice shelf in my grocery store.

Your Welcome
Thank you sir, I'll be back...

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. @Lasse

Called a few places local and couldn't find Sodium Nitrate. I could pay up and have it shipped online. Curious as you also mentioned this in the article, Potassium Nitrate found here at Amazon

Or is Sodium Nitrate a better product found here on Amazon (longer shipping times)

Thank you sir!

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of an update...

Water: Check
Salinity: 34.6
Temp: 78.6
Gallons of water: 21

AquaBiomics Rubble Reef Rock: Ordered!
Fish: Not a single one (lol)

Questions:
1. for an AIO with an UV (Aqua Ultraviolet) I believe I have a Sicce 1.5 w/it. The pump is in the middle chamber, where should the water be coming out of (return)?

2. How high should the water in the display be? Mine is insanely high for it to be quiet unless... I'm using the UV pump. Then it's noise.

IMG_2655.jpg

Wave maker on rear wall low pointing up

IMG_2656.jpg

Showing The direction the water is pushed

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JPEG image.jpeg

That's the water Line I'm talking about...

And in the back it's almost as high as the bulkhead wall leading into the rear chambers.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6/18/2021

Tank is up and running, water through filter pad. Just to clean out any gunk. UV light and pump is connected but makes a lot of noise, also water is a bit high in display. Meed to find out how to properly set up UV and understand where water levels should be for an AIO.

Without UV and water high, it's quiet. Waiting on AquaBiomics Reef Rubble and a fish to start the cycle as @Lasse recommends. Bought the items he recommended (pepper spice something something).

Plan is trying and get a clownfish I like as I get the rubble OR shortly after.

Thing to note tank has 21 gallons of water and my SW bin holds 16 Gallons. So, if I ever need to do a 100% water change, I better make sure the RODI bin is ready to go.

Equipment board looks good and clean. Once I am happy I will velcro all the controllers to the back.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my @AquaBiomics reef rubble to help seed my tank. Currently that is the only thing "alive" I have in there. Filter pad is out and UV pump & light are off.

Ready to pull the trigger on a pair of clowns. I also ordered some Sustainable Aquatics 1.2 mm Dry Hatchery Diet if this comes by the end of the week fine if not, I will get frozen food to do a VERY light feeding. As recommended.

Will try to goto #reefapalooza NY this weekend. Perhaps I find a cute pair of clowns there.

Quick question:
If i see pods this weekend, is it recommended to seed my tank now even though it's empty or wait?
JPEG image 11.jpeg
JPEG image 9.jpeg
JPEG image 10.jpeg

JPEG image 8.jpeg

BTW, love this corner view.. makes the tank look much bigger and wider..

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worm_.jpeg

Can anyone identify that? It's coming out of the live reef-rubble I purchased. Sorry, lame I know but it's the only view I currently have :)

Thank you in advance!
Gaspare

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The analysis report from the rubble if anyone is curious.

Attachments

• AquaBio Live Reef Rubble 2021.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I picked up this little guy who my wife actually named... Cheeto. I thought it was fitting.. so why not.

I grabbed him at RAP NY, and after going back and forth b/c I knew he wasn't QT I decided why not go for it. He's the only fish I have and there is no coral in the tank.

I have been following @Lasse advice and method, and I am very grateful for his time. They fed Cheeto pellets right before I scooped him up so I will wait as recommended. I have two types of pellets:

1. Sustainable Aquatics 1.2 mm Dry Hatchery Diet
2. Neptune CD Crossover Diet I figured for $12 and I knew Cheeto eats it, why not.

@Lasse I know you recommend frozen food and I will get that this week. If you recommend I get it sooner vs later, I will get it ASAP.

He seems to be chilling in the Front Right corner. I did notice him swimming higher after some time, but seems he likes this spot where the cave is. Although he doesn't go in there.

Any advice on flow? As mentioned, Sicce 1.0 return, SLW-10 on random Speed 2, Knob at Noon.

06 27.jpeg

Is this little guy not a stud??

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse , I have a question please..

In your method, Step 10:
1624846540755.png

You told me here:
I too purchased this as your recommendation at Amazon. Found here

So on day 5, according to my calculations for 21 Gallons of water (79.5 Liters) I should dose 4ml of this solution into my tank.

1. Is this a one time dose?
2. I turned on my UV b/c of the fish. I added water last weekend he 19th to start, ran it with filterpad for 2 days. Removed the pads and added live reef ruble (as mentioned before) on Wed the 23rd. Have dosed 4 caps of Dr. Tims for last two days (26 + 27th). Added my clown today the 27th. If you want the UV on or off please let me know.

Thank you again Mr. Lasse!!

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Clown is a very nice specimen. :)
Thank you! I know it's silly to gloat here, there are so many accomplished reefers and after all I only have a clown. But the thought of having a reef tank and to see something everyday that many will never see once is awe-inspiring.

We're actually creating a "world". When you break it down to that, it's amazing!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse , I have a question please..

In your method, Step 10:
1624846540755.png

You told me here:

I too purchased this as your recommendation at Amazon. Found here

So on day 5, according to my calculations for 21 Gallons of water (79.5 Liters) I should dose 4ml of this solution into my tank.

1. Is this a one time dose?
2. I turned on my UV b/c of the fish. I added water last weekend he 19th to start, ran it with filterpad for 2 days. Removed the pads and added live reef ruble (as mentioned before) on Wed the 23rd. Have dosed 4 caps of Dr. Tims for last two days (26 + 27th). Added my clown today the 27th. If you want the UV on or off please let me know.

Thank you again Mr. Lasse!!
1) one time dose
2) I prefer to not have the UV running during the first three weeks. The nitrification bacteria is nor free swimming but they can attach on small particles - therefore the total amount could be decreased if you use a UV-C during start up. But it is only my theories - have no measurement to back it up.
3) IMO - you can use the filterpads for the start up period - it will give an extra substrate for the nitrification bacteria.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. @Lasse , I'm fortunate to have you as a mentor and guide for this journey. So thank you sir!

UV-S is now off, and to confirm 4ML of the Sodium Nitrate is sufficient for 21 gallons of water?

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the return pump was a bit high.. so went from Max to Lowest. We'll call that level 1. I'll turn it up one click every 7 days and go from there.

Chetto swims.. but mostly hoovers low. Either in the front right corner or front left corner. When I turn the return pumps off he swims.

I have a concern. I tried to feed him yesterday. I tried the SA Hatchery 1.2mm and nothing
I tried the Neptune CD that I saw him heat on Sunday.... nothing

Tonight I'll go buy some frozen as @Lasse recommended and try feeding him tomorrow. I just hope his appetite comes and he eats.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back