OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheeto is up and swimming around. I fed him a CD pellet as a test. He swam right to it and ate it no problem. My biggest fear is that tmrw I am adding two corals AND I have a weeklong road trip set up on Sunday. :(

On July 24th, I initially noticed he was very skinny after my first week away.

Perhaps I will up the auto-feeder to 3x a day while away.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he/she have not eat for a week and the method just let the fish starve a little for three weeks - it will be skinny. When you are away prepare a daily feed and ask some neighbours to feed once a day and only with the prepared amount for that day! Or set an automatic feeder with the food he/She like.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I received my corals from WWC. And everything went to plan.

Turn off lights..... check
Float bag for 20 min.... check
Coral dip for 7 or so min.... check
Turkey basted to remove any pests...... check
Removed from frag plug.... check
Glued frags onto rubble rock.... check
Placed corals in tank.... check
Dip foot in bucket with Coral Dip.... check

The mushroom opened up w/in 10 min of being in the tank.... the zoa, not so much

08 6 b.jpeg

08 6 A.jpeg

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come home after being away for 24 hours and saw some algae on the rear glass. Salinity 34.5 with plenty of water in the ATO. But temps was 80.5*. Hopefully the fan from amazon comes soon.

Emerald crab died two weeks ago. Hermit crab died earlier this week. Another crab dead this weekend. I can't keep crabs alive.

Cheeto continues to eat, but this guy is breaking my heart. He now has two little white spots on his right side face/jaw.

I came home, immediately scrapped the glass, turkey baster-ed the glass bottom to suck up any detritus. Changed the filter floss. Turned on the UV and performing a water change as I type.

This sucks right now. Looking forward to the highs.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that the crabs not only have moult? The empty shell can looks like a dead animal but after a couple of days it shows up again. Algae on your glass - you have to live with that. 80.5 F is high but not normally panic high. Follow up the white spots - look in fins and around the fins.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that the crabs not only have moult? The empty shell can looks like a dead animal but after a couple of days it shows up again.
I removed the "meat" from the floor. I would say dead dead, unfortunately.

Algae on your glass - you have to live with that.
Yes I only have 4 snails, I plan to get more. I clean the glass daily except the back glass where it is difficult to have a mag scrapper reach.

80.5 F is high but not normally panic high. Follow up the white spots - look in fins and around the fins.

Sincerely Lasse
Yes, it peeks at that temp now since I have the UV light on. This will be corrected once the fan arrives from Amazon.

As an inexperienced reefer with tons of access to information (the internet) I think this poor guy has marine ich. I have the UV on and hope to irradicate it. I'm closly monitoring it and if I see it getting worse, I'll follow @Humblefish guide on the tank transfer method. One good thing I have going is, he's the only fish so he's not getting bullied and there is no compitition for food.

As always Mr. Lasse, thank you for your wisdom and words!

Gaspare

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with tons of access to information (the internet) I think this poor guy has marine ich
TTM is a good method - but when I have use it - I do the change every day, not feed and in darkness. But be sure first - there is other white spots that can show up. Look especially along the finns

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM is a good method - but when I have use it - I do the change every day, not feed and in darkness. But be sure first - there is other white spots that can show up. Look especially along the finns

Sincerely Lasse
I will be sure to consult with you before I attempt it. Thank you @Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will see :D

Sincerely Lasse

Why would you ever trust a man on the internet over your own dam eyes?

When his name is Lasse lol

6 hermit crabs entered. 1 died... weeks later... 2 more died... it's simple math!

6-1-2=5 what the heck?!?!? I counted 5 hermit crabs walking last night... lol

You were right... Yes, we will see :)

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE....

Cheeto is doing fine, even though I see only one "pimple" now. I am assuming this is Marine Ich, and have the UV on the lowest speed to try and expose the ich to the light for the longest period. I also have the UV feed going back into chamber 1 w/ filter pad. Trying to have a "repeat" cycle.

I have not increased light intensity for 2 weeks now. My mushroom seems the get white/lighter in color when all 3 lights are on but looks great when the Kessil is off.

My Halley Berry zoa cluster of 4 is ok. One isn't opening up too much. I also have a single head apart and it's not opening up much either.

I have a fan with a toggle switch finally so it stays in the ON position. So temps will be more consistent.

Things to do:

1. Borrow a PAR meter
2. Clean up my wires
3. Come up with a long term solution for ATO/AWC
4. Get a torch :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not the first one that can´t trust your own eyes :D. It is very difficult to judge if it is a empty external skeleton or a dead hermit crab.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE**

1. Two more hermit crabs died/molted <shrugs> ;Joyful
2. Cheeto seems good, he still has "pimples" on face and that side mark. I will be following @Humblefish advice. I ordered API General Cure; Seachem's Focus, Metroplex and Kanaplex.
- Going to try this recipe first:
1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (General Cure)
1-2 scoops Seachem Focus (makes it reef safe + binds the medication)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.
Feed daily for 2-3 weeks, or until poop returns to a solid brown or green color (no white).

3. I need to add some more snails, will try and get 4 snails (non astrea, as that is what I have). Perhaps 2 non bluelegged hermit crabs (you guessed it, that's what I have now).
4. My emerald crab died (few weeks ago) :( What should I get another Emerald crab or a Coral Banded Shrimp?
5. My Halley Berry zoa is starting to multiply. I should add some more for color contrast to colonize on that rock.
6. I want to get a coral with some movement, perhaps a torch.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse As your 15 point methodology states, I haven't tested water parameters yet (outside of temp and salinity).

What tests should I perform?

Currant inhabitants:
5 Blue Legged Hermit crabs
4 Asteria snails
1 Clownfish

Adding this week:
4 more snails, hopefully a different variety AND
1 Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus) OR 1 emerald crab OR 2 non blue legged hermit crabs

Thank you in advance and hope you are well!
Gaspare

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE**

Added some more snails two weekends ago (2 top crown and 4 trochus) as well as an indo torch. The torch has blue tentacles with green/yellow tips. I'll have to get a nice pic of it soon.

Then the strangest thing happened, seems someone stole my credit card and used it at a R2R @jfox sale. Thankfully the culprits had some class and used my home address for the shipping. :)

Here are some pictures today before I add them tomorrow. More to come...

09 20 a.jpeg
09 20 b.jpeg
09 20 c.jpeg
09 20 d.jpeg
09 20 f.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back