Battery backup for Sicce Syncra Silent pump

Snot Otter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a Fluval Evo 13.5 and have been looking into battery backup options for the Sicce Syncra 0.5 pump. Are the APC UPS 1000VA or 15000VA good options? (I am also considering the IceCap Backup V3, but some of the reviews make me wary.) I want something that will run the pump in my tank for at least a few hours if the power goes out. Thanks!

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think you mean 1500VA (one less zero). The capacities of these units are 131 and 216 WattHours, respectively. I do not know what the wattage of your pump is, but this will give you an idea of the runtime with each and help you decide whether the 1500VA is worth the extra money.

APC is an industry standard for battery backups. I doubt you'll have a problem with the quality.

OP
OP
Snot Otter

Snot Otter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think you mean 1500VA (one less zero). The capacities of these units are 131 and 216 WattHours, respectively. I do not know what the wattage of your pump is, but this will give you an idea of the runtime with each and help you decide whether the 1500VA is worth the extra money.

APC is an industry standard for battery backups. I doubt you'll have a problem with the quality.
Sorry, I meant the 1500VA. (There's also a 1000VA model, which is less expensive.) The pump's power consumption is 8 watts in this case.

I keep reading about the importance of pure sine wave, but I'm still not sure if I need to buy an APS Smart-series UPS or whether the normal 1000VA or 1500VA will do. The potential issue is that my pump is AC instead of DC, so it may not be compatible with the 1000VA or 1500VA, or that is my understanding.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant the 1500VA. (There's also a 1000VA model, which is less expensive.) The pump's power consumption is 8 watts in this case.

I keep reading about the importance of pure sine wave, but I'm still not sure if I need to buy an APS Smart-series UPS or whether the normal 1000VA or 1500VA will do. The potential issue is that my pump is AC instead of DC, so it may not be compatible with the 1000VA or 1500VA, or that is my understanding.
Pure sine wave is likely to only be important for sensitive computer equipment, and maybe not even then. Computer power supplies convert AC to DC before it's used by the sensitive equipment inside anyway. I doubt your pump would care as it's just copper wire wound inside a waterproof enclosure creating a magnetic field to run the impeller. Worst case, you might not get the efficiency that you'd get out of the wall socket.

At 8 watts, the 1000VA could run that pump for 16+ hours. Probably more than enough for all but the worst power outages.

I'm hoping you don't live in New Orleans.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up telegram on YouTube. He posted a video a few months ago about using a frabill for a battery backup. I used it to make a back up for my jebao.

OP
OP
Snot Otter

Snot Otter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pure sine wave is likely to only be important for sensitive computer equipment, and maybe not even then. Computer power supplies convert AC to DC before it's used by the sensitive equipment inside anyway. I doubt your pump would care as it's just copper wire wound inside a waterproof enclosure creating a magnetic field to run the impeller. Worst case, you might not get the efficiency that you'd get out of the wall socket.

At 8 watts, the 1000VA could run that pump for 16+ hours. Probably more than enough for all but the worst power outages.

I'm hoping you don't live in New Orleans.
Okay, that makes sense. And, no, thankfully I don't live in NOLA or anywhere with frequent power outages.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back