Bean's 300 Gallon AGE Build

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I thought I'd document my build thread on R2R! I've had the tank for about a year now, but life got in the way. The last couple of months I've finally been chipping away.

Tank
The tank is a 300 gallon Acrylic and Glass Exhibits Tank. It measures 72 x 36 x 27 (basically a DD 300 on steroids) , it has a PVC bottom, and is 3/4" thick low iron glass on all four sides (yes, all 4, not planned, extra glass that got thrown in... but it has a black back LOL). I opted for the upgraded 2" Steel Perimeter bracing top and bottom. With the thickness of the glass and added steel, I ended up with a tank with no cross braces. Also included is an acrylic euro brace splash guard.

Overflow / Drain System
I went back and forth on different overflows, but decided on the Synergy Reef Shadow overflow system. I am running two of them, and while I may have over complicated my build, I had a lot of fun doing the plumbing for the drains. Weird I know. But in the end, the tank should be fairly quiet. There are 6 drains total. I found some clear acrylic tubing that I will run the two emergency drains to the skimmer section. That way you can easily see (or hear) the water going down the emergency drains, which is should hopefully never do. Rick Lowe and the guys at Synergy Reef are great. Highly recommended.

Sump
The sump is a PVC hybrid made by Advanced Acrylics. It measures 48" x 24" x 20"- Drain and Sock Section (3 x 7"), Skimmer Section, Return Section, and lastly a Fuge or Frag Section. Its a dark gray PVC with a teal colored weld. It has lids for each section to keep evaporation and moister down.

Return
After a lot of back and forth, I decided on a Red Dragon Speedy 230 Watt return pump. It will feed a manifold, the fuge /frag section, and then up to 3 Sea Swirls.

Skimmer
Aquamaxx CO-5 (45 watts)

CaRX
Aquamaxx c-Tech T3
SS Regulator from Alan Le

Flow Pumps
At the moment, that is up in the air. I do have 1 x MP60, but I'd like to try something new.

More to come.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signing up for this one...this is going to be a sweet build!!!

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! That's my dream tank right there;) I used to have a smaller AGE and it was absolutely the best tank I've ever owned. I love the PVC bottoms on their tanks. And I think you made a good choice with the overflows.
I also just ordered an advanced acrylics hybrid sump like that. Now I'm wishing I had gone with dark grey too!
How is the build quality on your sump? How long did it take from ordering to delivery? I ordered mind almost 4 weeks ago now, so I'm hoping it will ship soon.
I demand way more pics!!

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Pukani rock for this tank. Along with a couple large jars of Aquamaxx Reef Welder from @MarineDepot. The plastic beads are easy to work with and dry incredibly strong. I was able to make quite a few overhangs etc. with it. Its tough to get the details in the pictures. I did my best to keep most of the rock off the bottom of the tank and away from the sides. Its really open underneath the main structures. Lots of swimming room. I may add a few more finishing touches but its real close.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! That's my dream tank right there;) I used to have a smaller AGE and it was absolutely the best tank I've ever owned. I love the PVC bottoms on their tanks. And I think you made a good choice with the overflows.
I also just ordered an advanced acrylics hybrid sump like that. Now I'm wishing I had gone with dark grey too!
How is the build quality on your sump? How long did it take from ordering to delivery? I ordered mind almost 4 weeks ago now, so I'm hoping it will ship soon.
I demand way more pics!!

Its amazing. You will not be disappointed once it arrives. Their quality is awesome... sometimes they just get a little behind. They are local to me.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Spectrapure Chlorokiller 90gpd with the added Maxcap D2. Ill also be getting the booster pump from Aquatic Life. Those are 2 100 gallon containers. I ordered water heater stands rated at 1200 lbs each. Ill plumb them together... need more ball valves haha soo much plumbing.

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive already mocked up the return plumbing. I am waiting on a plumbing order from BRS. The pipe will be blue like the drains, but I ordered gray for the runs connecting the Sea Swirls. Im reducing to 1.5" off the return pump, the lines to the manifold and fuge frag are also 1.5". Ive reduced it to 1" at the Sea swirls.

I forgot to mention, the stand and bracing are powder coated gray.

unnamed (5).jpg

Tank 3.jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to have to rig the emergency drain clear acrylic tubes. They dont work with sch 80 or 40 fittings... but it sits nice on a 1.5" sch 80 fitting. So im going to glue the acrylic to the PVC with weldon 16. Then run a bead of silicone. Just for looks... not sure thats a good idea. :p

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone familiar with fiberglass strut systems? Like acnastrut? I have aluminum strut that Ive painted with galvanizing spray and 4 coats of rustoleum. My friend has the same supporting his plumbing and there is no rust in about 2 years. Im still hesitant. Opinions or advice appreciated.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cody so glad to have your build here! Do me a favor and when you share photos just upload them directly to the forum so we can see the BIG sizes of this beauty!! :p

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about all the large pics, or am I? I've got it down now. I was so used to using third party sites for photos.

unnamed (11).jpg

unnamed (14).jpg

unnamed (12).jpg

unnamed (13).jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back