Beginner who needs advice

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATS can be controlled by using more or less light hours as well.
Typically you want the ATS and or fuge to run opposite the tank lights.
This helps to keep PH stabilized.

To cycle the rock it needs to be in Saltwater. I recommend using the same salt mix and salinity level. 1.026.

No, not all rock is the same.
Online sales from a retailer should be as advertised.
Online from Craig's list, eBay, or other private sale is a whole different issue.

Dry rock at MY LFS (Local Fish Store) is $3.00 a pound.
Live rock at MY LFS is around $5-6 per pound.

Private sales are fine as long as you can trust the person selling it.
If you don't know the history I would pass. Some will disagree but YMMV.
K7BMG Pretty much covered your questions already.
Ideally you want fully cured live rock. If your local to me I have plenty. If not try to find a local reefer to give you a few pieces in exchange for some of your dry rock. Most will be honest if the have pests you need to worry about.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice, 180 gallons of fun :p

Welcome to R2R and happy reefing!

giphy.gif

jRatanak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely get your rockscape fully built and cycled as soon as possible! Don't do what I did and half-butt the rockscape, cause then you'll spend the next year and a half rearranging things every month :rolleyes:. Other than that I don't imagine a refugium is necessary right off the jump (at least until you have a decent bio-load); but that's just me, I don't run one anyway.

OP
OP
S

Sigecaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely get your rockscape fully built and cycled as soon as possible! Don't do what I did and half-butt the rockscape, cause then you'll spend the next year and a half rearranging things every month :rolleyes:. Other than that I don't imagine a refugium is necessary right off the jump (at least until you have a decent bio-load); but that's just me, I don't run one anyway.
Thanks for the advice. A couple of people have said that today, so I'm going to order the rock, rodi and salt today. So is it best to do 1lb per gallon?

jRatanak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. A couple of people have said that today, so I'm going to order the rock, rodi and salt today. So is it best to do 1lb per gallon?
It's a good rule to estimate what you might need. In the end, I'd only use what you need to make something that is visually appealing and provides a good environment for the fish you plan on keeping, as well as good locations for coral placement.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see you mention it, make sure to have a decent size saltwater mixing station. At least 40~50 gallon bucket for saltwater. If you have the space, go for 100 gallon storage tanks. You want large saltwater storage, not RODI, because if you need water right away, most of the time you need saltwater. Having a smooth running decent size salt mixing station ensure your tank have the backup of its blood line.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome.
here is something to watch For you
You will get lengthy responses how to cycle your tank. I personally prefer dry rock and live sand + live bacteria like Dr Tim’s and nothing with a risk of infection like live rock from friends or LFS.

OP
OP
S

Sigecaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see you mention it, make sure to have a decent size saltwater mixing station. At least 40~50 gallon bucket for saltwater. If you have the space, go for 100 gallon storage tanks. You want large saltwater storage, not RODI, because if you need water right away, most of the time you need saltwater. Having a smooth running decent size salt mixing station ensure your tank have the backup of its blood line.
Thanks for the response. Planning on getting 2 55 gallon containers. Anything bigger than 55, the prices jump up drastically. I'm in southern California, still looking around for another place that sells the water containers at a reasonable price.

OP
OP
S

Sigecaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome.
here is something to watch For you
You will get lengthy responses how to cycle your tank. I personally prefer dry rock and live sand + live bacteria like Dr Tim’s and nothing with a risk of infection like live rock from friends or LFS.
Thanks for the info. That is my current plan. Was going to do live rock at first, but after watching videos and looking at some LFS, the risk of aptasia or other pest didnt seem worth it.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread.
1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby.
2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank.
3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...
giphy.gif

OP
OP
S

Sigecaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread.
1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby.
2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank.
3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...
giphy.gif
Thanks for the idea. I just finished building my stand for the water storage. My rock will be arriving this week. Tank is still about 2-3 weeks out. As soon as get my tank in and a aquascape idea, I'll start a build thread to show what I got so far.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the idea. I just finished building my stand for the water storage. My rock will be arriving this week. Tank is still about 2-3 weeks out. As soon as get my tank in and a aquascape idea, I'll start a build thread to show what I got so far.
Yeah the build thread is great....I had started mine after I was already rolling but if you check out the ones that start at the stage you are at, they are great resources for what works and what doesn't. Plus you have an awesome history of your tank to look back on. I see how much my tank has changed over time. It forces me to take pictures that I might not have. What really hooked me in was new&noclue has really done some good stuff. Way more than I might be doing updates but she has it down with monthly updates and updates in between as she sees things. She has made the 360 tank list....

OP
OP
S

Sigecaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Started working on my aquascape. Wanted to post what I got so far but can't figure out how to add a video. Was going to post pictures, but from what I've read, it's better to send a video so people can see it from many angles and get the dimensions. Can anyone explain what would be the best way to post a video on this forum? File on my phone was too big to upload.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Started working on my aquascape. Wanted to post what I got so far but can't figure out how to add a video. Was going to post pictures, but from what I've read, it's better to send a video so people can see it from many angles and get the dimensions. Can anyone explain what would be the best way to post a video on this forum? File on my phone was too big to upload.
Load it up on youtube and add the link to it here...Sorry but the two step process is the way to go....LMK if you need any help.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back