OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the process tonight!
Fish and a few base rocks in the left tub, and rocks and coral in the right.

31C7EC5D-E21D-4A74-BA56-F46EBCBA7629.jpeg

Nasty sand, gunk, and discarded shells and coral skeletons is all that remains!
DAE6174C-802B-4372-93C8-A71C1356D6B0.jpeg

Tomorrow will be a busy day!
l‘ve got to finish the tear down, get all my equipment out and cleaned. And move the old out of the way.
The new tank and stand are being moved in tomorrow afternoon!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you are mid-surgery this is great, all your stuff is on calculated life support well done it looks correct so far as the holding water is clear and not cloudy in the containers. Nice

you are pre rinsing all the sand and setting it all back in within the new glass is that right? just offering one last tweak for true cloudless reassembly: after attaining clean sand the rocks need twist-swished in that holding water briskly before moving back to main tank, but only after fish are out.

that final twisting really casts off their waste if any, allowing for clean rocks clean sand back in new tank and a skip cycle rebuild. Acclimating all the lights back down in the new tank prevents bleaching

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would discontinue all feeding in the fish holding tank, free ammonia risk even with the surface area present, needs totally clean holdings

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you are mid-surgery this is great, all your stuff is on calculated life support well done it looks correct so far as the holding water is clear and not cloudy in the containers. Nice

you are pre rinsing all the sand and setting it all back in within the new glass is that right? just offering one last tweak for true cloudless reassembly: after attaining clean sand the rocks need twist-swished in that holding water briskly before moving back to main tank, but only after fish are out.

that final twisting really casts off their waste if any, allowing for clean rocks clean sand back in new tank and a skip cycle rebuild. Acclimating all the lights back down in the new tank prevents bleaching
Thanks for the advice!

The old sand is gone. With a high of 7°F this week, I won’t be doing any rinsing! Best I can do is bags of wet live sand. I’ll fill the tank with water, mix the salt in there, heat it up, then add the rocks. I’ll have a 5 gal bucket with saltwater to swish into before adding to the tank. Then I’ll add the sand. Once it’s all settled out, the fish will go in!

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got most of the wiring done. Float and optical switches, cabinet lighting, probe wiring routed, pumps wired, modules mounted. Scooted the whole thing in its final resting place and leveled it. Kalk stirrer cleaned and set in place, as is the AWC plumbing.

I think I’m ready for water!
The plan is to connect my RODI outlet i
to my auto water change tubing and plumb it straight into the tank. Should take a couple days at 75 GPD!

My Gyre XF130 won’t work. The magnets are too weak for the 12mm thick glass. So I ordered two more Nero 5s, for a total of four Nero 5s. They should arrive tomorrow.

788BDE76-3C5D-433E-A0B7-C3E96F08455C.jpeg

0BA77942-5AC4-4278-B627-3A524594E64A.jpeg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow! Very cool, can't wait to see it in action :)

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing... curious, why are u using both filter sock and roller mat?

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Very cool, can't wait to see it in action :)
Me too!!
Looks amazing... curious, why are u using both filter sock and roller mat?
Thanks! The filter sock is on the secondary drain and, if all goes as planned, shouldn’t see much water flow. It’s there, might as well use it. :p

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My “75 GPD” RODI unit is more like 30 gpd... It’s been going 24 hours so far and the tank is only a quarter full. I’m contemplating adding straight tap water....

Do you have a flush valve? If so, make sure it's not set on "flush". What's your pressure looking like?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back