sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question.

Have any of your eggs hatch to produce baby berghia's ? (Maybe I missed a post...but I figure that by now if you have had eggs some would have hatched).

Not sure how berghia's work. Do the females lay eggs regardless and then you need a male to fertilize the eggs. (Ie if all males then you wouldn't get eggs, if all females eggs would never hatch)

I only have 4 Berghia so odd on most likely there is at least one of each gender)

yeah for as bad as it sounds I just cut them right down the middle, it’s labour intensive but it does work well. I use a some tweezers and long scissors for the job

all the eggs that I’ve put in the container haven’t hatched, which makes it a bit odd to see people selling eggs online, I haven’t removed the eggs since. I wasn’t in rush to get baby’s as I wanted to master the food supplies first.
berghia are similar to clown fish and do change sex wend they ready to mate so you could well end up with 3 females and a male or 2 pairs. Wend I read on the subject it said that they get fertile inside nudibranch will have to see now what happens if I don’t remove the eggs.

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia are hermaphroditic so have both sex organs. Each individual can produce eggs, and will in the absence of a second individual, but a second individual is needed to fertilize the eggs and have them produce baby berghias

so, if you have 4 Berghia, you technically have 4 males and 4 females...they don’t change sex if you don’t have a male/female, since they are all male And female.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @sixty_reefer

I just saw something weird happen.

One Berghia looked tiny/weak, so I move him (with a Syringe) really close to an Aptasia to get him close to food. NOt on to of the Aptasia but beside the Aptasia

He went right at the Aptasia, but then it appeared like the Aptasia Pulled him in.
I Syringed the Berghia out and placed him back.

The Berghia did the same thing, this time it looks like the Aptasia actually ate him.
I did read that Aptasia can eat Berghia.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @sixty_reefer

I just saw something weird happen.

One Berghia looked tiny/weak, so I move him (with a Syringe) really close to an Aptasia to get him close to food. NOt on to of the Aptasia but beside the Aptasia

He went right at the Aptasia, but then it appeared like the Aptasia Pulled him in.
I Syringed the Berghia out and placed him back.

The Berghia did the same thing, this time it looks like the Aptasia actually ate him.
I did read that Aptasia can eat Berghia.
Now that’s something I never seen, did it ate the berghia in the end?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s something I never seen, did it ate the berghia in the end?
I have no idea, since it happened so fast. I didn't have a zoom in with my Camera. Didn't expect the event to happen.

You know how small these guys are, so I was just looking at the White Spec Moving.
It looked like it went directly into the Aptasia Mouth.

The Aptasia is still there.

I looked at this video to see how Berghia Manage to Eat the Aptasia.
Seems like they eat from the bottom of the Aptasia (base), and use their whiskers to defend themselves.

I read this to NOT TO PLACE the Berghia directly on the Aptasia's MOuth.
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=JhnYXo3WD7uE9PwPhrmBoAU&q=can+aptasia+each+Berghia+Nudibranch+\&oq=can+aptasia+each+Berghia+Nudibranch+\&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoECAAQRzoFCAAQzQJQjqoBWKzkAWCw5AFoA3ABeACAAagBiAGpEZIBBTExLjExmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiNgYCuzubpAhU7Ap0JHYZcAFQQ4dUDCAs&uact=5
I didn't. Even moved him away twice. He kept going back. I though he was just hungry, so I was happy.
Is he in between the Triple Aptasia cluster?
DID he go inside the Aptasia's mouth, and is eatting from inside?

Did it actually happen, I don't know. Highly unlikely, but if it happened, I have 3 BERGHIA's left

If it did happen, I have a new Species of Aptasia....this is the one that did it...

:( BERGHIA EATING APTASIA :(
2020-06-03_BerghiaEattingAptasia.jpg

YIKES!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea, since it happened so fast. I didn't have a zoom in with my Camera. Didn't expect the event to happen.

You know how small these guys are, so I was just looking at the White Spec Moving.
It looked like it went directly into the Aptasia Mouth.

The Aptasia is still there.

I looked at this video to see how Berghia Manage to Eat the Aptasia.
Seem like them eat at the bottom of the Aptasia (base), and use their whiskers to defend themselves.

I read this to NOT TO PLACE the Berghia directly on the Aptasia's MOuth.
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=JhnYXo3WD7uE9PwPhrmBoAU&q=can+aptasia+each+Berghia+Nudibranch+\&oq=can+aptasia+each+Berghia+Nudibranch+\&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoECAAQRzoFCAAQzQJQjqoBWKzkAWCw5AFoA3ABeACAAagBiAGpEZIBBTExLjExmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiNgYCuzubpAhU7Ap0JHYZcAFQQ4dUDCAs&uact=5
I didn't. Even moved him away twice. He kept going back. I though he was just hungry, so I was happy.
DID he go inside the Aptasia's mouth, and is eatting from inside?

Did it actually happen, I don't know. Highly unlikely, but if it happened, I have 3 BERGHIA's left

If it did happen, I have a new Species of Aptasia....this is the one that did it...

:( BERGHIA EATING APTASIA :(
2020-06-03_BerghiaEattingAptasia.jpg

YIKES!!

Wow that’s an awesome vid, they look to be getting darker to. If the aip até they’re mate am sure soon it will be avenged :)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s an awesome vid, they look to be getting darker to. If the aip até they’re mate am sure soon it will be avenged :)
That's not my vid. I found that on you tube.

Mine are pale white and don't move much.

I maybe should leave them alone.

They probably come out at night when it's dark.
I have a night vision web cam that picks up heat so I'll set it up to time-lapse photos.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a night vision web cam that picks up heat so I'll set it up to time-lapse photos.
Nudibranchs are technically insects, so they don’t have body heat...

But yes- berghia are nocturnal, unless they are starving and forced to go looking for food

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tough you has made it, as Neil mentioned they a boring animal to have as they are nocturnal, what I did was adding a dark acrylic cover to they’re tank to block some light during the day, this allows them to go hunting during the day if they feel like it.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically yeah I feed them every day and every week I tend to cut a few in half, it seems to be working well so far. Below is some pics taken more or less 7 days apart

ECEFBA3C-C341-443E-AE06-B098F99DA3D8.jpeg
FAC5B922-6758-4D94-9A6D-9B7920FEFD46.jpeg
FA5753EA-CACA-446B-A404-E2DB2E3D6F8D.jpeg
C071F2A5-A0F4-4869-867E-4347975DD405.jpeg
07DCBF07-9ADB-4054-9F25-C1DF6E4FC659.jpeg

I think am missing a picture between 3 and 4 they more or less been duplicated every week by cutting them in half this definitely sounds better than waiting for them to split and grow from tiny fragments.
Another week goes by, and it’s full
658D3D5F-B8C5-4340-9D91-917B2AFBC809.jpeg

I wonder how long will it last

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another week goes by, and it’s full
658D3D5F-B8C5-4340-9D91-917B2AFBC809.jpeg

I wonder how long will it last
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's insane!!

Btw, my Berghia Farm is showing specs here and there. They looks like baby snails but I need to have a closer look (hoping they are Berghia Eggs)

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's insane!!

Btw, my Berghia Farm is showing specs here and there. They looks like baby snails but I need to have a closer look (hoping they are Berghia Eggs)

man glad to hear that, was just about to ask you how’s everything going? I had two berghia spearing from no we’re in the last couple days. Maybe they were from the first batch and just been hidden

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome- what’s the rationale for the carbon substrate? Do you think it’s just grain size?
Thanks
Hi @neilp2006, I believe that carbon substrate is the base for a successful aiptasia farming method carbon substrate and a shallow tank. In all my pictures you can observe that all aips are in the substrate and not on the hard surface as it’s expected, for some reason they feel happy in there ive also noticed that wend you fragging the aips it’s far more easy as all you need to do is grab an aip with some tweezers and cut it in half easily without having to scrape it off a rock or glass, other thing I’ve noticed is that I can propagate with eggs as they settle in the carbon substrate and develop to full adults. ( this is a first in marine biology, not even scientist to date we’re able to grow aips from eggs to adults till now) .

if you imagine what I’ve done in a couple weeks scalable to 100x I’d have a sustained method to grow aiptasia and nudibranch for the hobby, i’ll be writing a basic article soon my gift for all hobbiest. Hopefully we can have nudibranch soon at a more affordable price to all.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread folks -- love it.

Basic question:

Do I have to trap all my wrasses for berghia to survive? They look pretty yummy.

@ScottB I believe the secret with wrasses is to introduce the berghia at night wend the wrasses are at sleep. They are nocturnal animals and during the day they are hidden under the rocks. I’ve just introduced two berghia from my culture in my display. If you check back in a month I can tell you how did it went.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @neilp2006, I believe that carbon substrate is the base for a successful aiptasia farming method carbon substrate and a shallow tank. In all my pictures you can observe that all aips are in the substrate and not on the hard surface as it’s expected, for some reason they feel happy in there ive also noticed that wend you fragging the aips it’s far more easy as all you need to do is grab an aip with some tweezers and cut it in half easily without having to scrape it off a rock or glass, other thing I’ve noticed is that I can propagate with eggs as they settle in the carbon substrate and develop to full adults. ( this is a first in marine biology, not even scientist to date we’re able to grow aips from eggs to adults till now) .

if you imagine what I’ve done in a couple weeks scalable to 100x I’d have a sustained method to grow aiptasia and nudibranch for the hobby, i’ll be writing a basic article soon my gift for all hobbiest. Hopefully we can have nudibranch soon at a more affordable price to all.
That’s Interesting.

I got an aiptasia in my 18 month old 180- came in on a tube worm.
I now have maybe 9, 10, but they are big and ONLY on the Fiji pink sand. I don’t have any on rocks.

I’m about to duplicate your process , so I appreciate the info.
The eggs thing is cool too. I know some Cambridge grad students who spent 5-6 years in the 90’s trying to do that without any success . If it’s reproducible- that’s big.

Question- how are you identifying them as eggs? How do you induce production?
Thanks

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s Interesting.

I got an aiptasia in my 18 month old 180- came in on a tube worm.
I now have maybe 9, 10, but they are big and ONLY on the Fiji pink sand. I don’t have any on rocks.

I’m about to duplicate your process , so I appreciate the info.
The eggs thing is cool too. I know some Cambridge grad students who spent 5-6 years in the 90’s trying to do that without any success . If it’s reproducible- that’s big.

Question- how are you identifying them as eggs? How do you induce production?
Thanks

to fully mimic the current method that am doing in the tray I would recommended you to use a shallow tank and to feed them small foods like freshly hatched brine shrimp or lobster eggs daily, they seem to recover from being fragmented pretty quickly with small foods. I’ve tried bigger foods at the beginning but they could digest it properly and regurgitate it the day after, with smaller sized foods they get full but it’s easier on the digestive system, usually 24h.

On the eggs We’re observe mainly by chance, before I’ve started this experience the only place I had aiptasia was in my overflow section, as I scrapped some of the nems from that section eggs were released in to my sump, I've observed they only settled in a area were some activated carbon was as a bag ruptured. Initially they were just under a millimetre, then they grew to the pic under
8826FFD6-59A6-428B-8599-52F755D3AFBB.jpeg

5D74FCEB-FF79-4F7B-BB70-75A18256A2EF.jpeg

and now more than 6 weeks later

B21D8936-21E5-4943-B071-71C956B5DBAA.jpeg

If you familiar with they’re work they claim that they’ll won’t survive over 6 weeks.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the egg experience worked, I just didn’t wait long enough, I can see lots and lots of baby berghia moving around

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the egg experience worked, I just didn’t wait long enough, I can see lots and lots of baby berghia moving around
Amazing. Got any Close up Photo's? I wonder what Baby Berghia look like, especially the really small ones.
I haven't had a chance to zoom in the specs I have on my Glass of my Beghia Tank.
They move if I come back after a while.
I think they are baby snails, but those two Berghia Adults are Quite Friendly to each other. The other two I have no idea where they are.

Back