Best dosing pump for Triton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking GHL 2 and the Kore 5TH are most popular right now? Yes or no?

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking GHL 2 and the Kore 5TH are most popular right now? Yes or no?

I switched from Kore 5th to Apex Dosers. With Triton you end up dosing a lot of volume if the tank is large and mature. All these chinese doser motors last about 300hrs, which when dosing roughly 400ml per day is under a year of life before the motor may fail. I had to switch to stepper motor design (Apex) because of this alone. Also the Kore 5th has a software limit of 650ml per day per channel which I am already running up against on my 450g coral farm tank.

I would get 4 Ice Cap Dosing Pumps

See my comments in the previous paragraph. The IceCap units are nice but they suffer the same poor motor life problem. I use one for dosing Acropower though.

Honestly at this point I would suggest if anyone has a tank over 100g that is primarily SPS and they are doing Triton, to get the Apex dosers. Otherwise you may run into a doser pump motor failure on the 2nd or 3rd year of your tank. The Stepper motor version of the Vertex doser may be ok, but its only 3 channel if I recall right.

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree about the pumps. I have found two manufacturers that make really good pumps, one being Welco which Vertex uses and the other is an American company...have the info bookmarked some where. I bought a jebao and switched out the pumps for Welco pumps.

Right now I'm about 90% into a custom doser build that is all programmed over the interweb. I built this one on a very basic principle, total dosage over 24hrs. You figure out the dose rate of each pump, and how much you want to dose over a 24hr period and it doses the proper amount over 12 doses. It's nothing fancy but it works. Right now its programmed via a command line interface but I'm hoping by next week to have a webpage built for programming, retrieving program data, manual on/off and a very basic semi-manual calibration tool.

I'll have a DIY up after its finished.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex DOS is loud, too big, only two heads, and too expensive. Other than that, I'm sure they're great. I like my Apex controller though.

Jebao dosing pumps are cheap problems waiting to happen. It's not like a power head that just stops running or stays running with no ill effects. They could dose the whole reservoir of ALK and wipe out ur entire tank. I don't trust them for dosing. Yes I do own RW20's, so I'm not against Jebao.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex DOS is loud, too big, only two heads, and too expensive. Other than that, I'm sure they're great. I like my Apex controller though.

I tend to agree on all these points, however they are one of the very few stepper motor options available to us, and the Apex control is quite nice. Also agreed on the Jebao.

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned both I completely agree. I run triton as well so having minute (.01mL) capabilities isn't as big of a deal to me as consistency and reliability.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like some Jebao products like my RW20's, but I just can't put my faith in their dosing pumps. Plus their customer service...ahh yeah.

GHL 2 for me. Replacing a motor after a year or two isn't a big deal for me as long as it's quiet, small, has great features, and top notch customer service.

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you seen the dosers from BulkReefSupply? These seem pretty solid, and not all that expensive either. They are single dosers, but i would think having an apex should make that a non-issue (which i do happen to have)

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you're wondering, the company that makes the pumps that BRS uses, is called APT instruments. You can buy the pumps and build them out how ever you like. The only thing I don't like about that setup is that it occupies three ports on the Energy Bar.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same decision and decided on the GHL Doser 2.
Based on my previous experience with GHL equipment, it was pretty much a no brainer, but I did compare to all the others.
The GHL still came out on tops for me.

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you're wondering, the company that makes the pumps that BRS uses, is called APT instruments. You can buy the pumps and build them out how ever you like. The only thing I don't like about that setup is that it occupies three ports on the Energy Bar.
Though for our purposes, couldn't you just use an extender and run all 4 off of one port?

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex so I am thinking DOS..especially since I have a fish room in the basement. But the pricetag is a shocker.....

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no....if you dose calc and alk solutions at the same time it could pose precip issues.
Naw...you just don't dose to same spot. I used to use two part dosing with a dual channel dosing pump for years. Worked fantastic. I just had each hose go to opposite ends of the sump

Back