Best dwarf angel

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore What’s the secret to keeping a flame in LPS tanks? Just having enough variety so it distributes the nipping? Or not stocking fleshy corals?

No 'secret' really. Fleshy corals are mostly out for me .... not so much because of the flame, but because of the larger angels (asfur, emperor, regal .... take your pick). I have had my angels decide to pick on an euphyllia, then you just have to remove it to someplace where, hopefully, they'll forget about it so you can eventually put it back in. Mostly its because my tank is very large, the fish well fed, and more SPS than LPS.

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Noah, I have a Coral Beauty and an Eibli (aka Red Stripe) Angel in my 90 g setup of softies and LPS. The CB touches nothing over almost 4 years, the Eibli added in December nips very rarely at Kenya Tree, thats it.
I like both fish immensely, but am partial to the colour markings on Eibli. IMO each fish has its own 'personality' but I've had very good luck with these two.
20210308_183254.jpg
20210308_181924.jpg
How do they get along?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No technically dwarf, but genus Genicanthus (Bellus, Watanabe, etc.) is awesome and reef safe. Smaller than standard angels, too.

With a 120g tank, I think Genicanthus angels would be just past the cusp of acceptable, IMO, and I'd personally feel more comfortable with a Genicanthus than a Centropyge.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This demands pictures of these 3 beauties.... agreed, I roll the dice a bit with Angels , because they are a beautiful fish many of them. The damage in my case is next to nothing. Of course there is that one rogue lol....
This demands pictures of these 3 beauties.... agreed, I roll the dice a bit with Angels , because they are a beautiful fish many of them. The damage in my case is next to nothing. Of course there is that one rogue lol....
One to follow, lights are out now

Attachments

• 745FFBC8-D686-4DE8-B8EA-7E9D9248D6E6.jpeg
    745FFBC8-D686-4DE8-B8EA-7E9D9248D6E6.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 224
  • 5CC1916C-5A7B-44D8-B1F4-926A4104CA36.jpeg
    5CC1916C-5A7B-44D8-B1F4-926A4104CA36.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 227
  • E549FB13-F50B-4D99-A784-FC4405A31567.jpeg
    E549FB13-F50B-4D99-A784-FC4405A31567.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 199

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Potters - I haven't seen any since the Hawaii ban went into effect, anyone know where to source them? Coral Beauty gets my vote too, and I wonder if the aquacultured ones would be less prone to pick at corals since I assume they've been raised on pellet. Then again, I was denied ice cream and other sweets as a child and now I LOVE ice cream and eat way too much of it, LOL, so...

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the aquacultured ones would be less prone to pick at corals since I assume they've been raised on pellet.
I’ve always wondered the same thing. Would captive bred Or aquacultured be less likely to pick on things.
You can take the lion out of Africa, but can you take the Africa out of the lion. Hmmm.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my 135 gallon tank 6ft. Potter angel and flame angel and a rusty angel.

The only ine i almost lost was my lotters as he wouldnt eat for weeks but then he started eating and gained weight and ive had all 3 for along time now.

They havent messed with any corals

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered the same thing. Would captive bred Or aquacultured be less likely to pick on things.
You can take the lion out of Africa, but can you take the Africa out of the lion. Hmmm.
Totally agree, nature vs. nurture thing. Wonder what is hard wired vs. learned behavior. Ice Cream is definitely hard wired though. No doubt. :)

LeahAnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the process of planning the stock list for my new 5 foot 120G reef tank. I want to add a dwarf angel of some kind - I know it’s a risk but what do you all think is the “most reef safe” dwarf angel? I think they’re all beautiful so I don’t mind which. Of course the flame angel is my favourite, however I do have a soft spot for coral beauties & i also think cherubs are pretty beautiful. What do you reckon is my best bet? Any insight is greatly appreciated :)
Coral Beauty, dosial and beautiful

LeahAnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the process of planning the stock list for my new 5 foot 120G reef tank. I want to add a dwarf angel of some kind - I know it’s a risk but what do you all think is the “most reef safe” dwarf angel? I think they’re all beautiful so I don’t mind which. Of course the flame angel is my favourite, however I do have a soft spot for coral beauties & i also think cherubs are pretty beautiful. What do you reckon is my best bet? Any insight is greatly appreciated :)
Coral beauty, never bothers my corals and gets slong well eith everyone else. They are beautiful purple and orange stripes.

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with dwarf angels over many years has told me they always pick at something, even if it doesn’t happen for a very long time. I’ve had some that didn’t touch a coral for years after putting them in the tank, then one day they decide a particular coral looks tasty and they really go after it.

It’s really more about what you’re willing to put up with than it is about whether it will nip at something. Personally I can’t resist them so I work around it. The smaller the fish, the lesser the damage. I’m partial to the African Flameback Angel. Gorgeous little fish, lots of personality.

The other issue, and frankly the bigger issue in my book, is the aggression and territorial nature of most species of dwarf angels. Sometimes you end up with a model citizen, but many of them can be real jerk fish. Don’t overlook this when making a decision.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree, nature vs. nurture thing. Wonder what is hard wired vs. learned behavior. Ice Cream is definitely hard wired though. No doubt. :)

It’s an interesting question (the fish thing not the ice cream thing). My guess/gut tells me it’s more likely wishful thinking than reality, but none of my angels have been CB. Nutritional requirements are still the same.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True - it would be interesting to do some comparison with wild vs. aquacultured of the same species. Tank raised mandarins for example will eat prepared foods, but will certainly still hunt pods...

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago I had an Eibli and it was a terrific fish. I tried to add a flame angel and he attacked the fish mercilessly for about an hour. Anyway, it wasn't successful despite the tank being a 150 loaded with rocks.

I'm tempted to try another pygmy but probably just one in the 300. No LPS in there so I'm not too worried about nipping. Potters or multibar would be among my top choices but neither would be easy to take through QT. Curious to know what others have done with these fish. I have seen many people say "don't bother QT with multibar" but I just don't think I can do that.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting question (the fish thing not the ice cream thing). My guess/gut tells me it’s more likely wishful thinking than reality, but none of my angels have been CB. Nutritional requirements are still the same.
You’re likely right on wishful thinking. I purchased my first ever captive bred YT. I’ve been observing it for the last month in quarantine. It’s behaviors/mannerisms are identical to every wild caught YT I’ve ever had. Not sure you can change thousands of years of genetics.

Back