Best Overflow box to get?

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got a nw 40 gal breeder tank its not drilled and I doubt I get it drilled. I havent ever ran a sump w my tanks cuz ive always had nanos. But I figure Id go for a sump w this one.

What is the best overflow box to get for this tank? Pref from Drs Fosters and Smith cuz I gotta lot of other stuff to order from them as well.

So if you can check out their site and give me the best choice. If nothing from that site Let me know where.

Ill also have a lot of question about getting the sump hooked up as well when the time comes.

OH YEAH I ALSO NEED TO KNOW WHAT PUMPS TO GET WITH THE OVERFLOW BOX AS WELL. HELP A REEFER OUT

Thanks
Denzel

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would order a kit from Glass-holes.com. It really isn't that hard to drill a hole and the kit comes with all you will need.

Big D

Master of my Domain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would order a kit from Glass-holes.com. It really isn't that hard to drill a hole and the kit comes with all you will need.

Agreed... going this route would be a lot less trouble then a hang overflow imo.

D

OP
OP
rebelprettyboy

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me go see. Im not really that good with the DIY.

And if I drill it then what would I need from Dr Foster and Smith to get my sump plumed w the tank?

Im sorry, but im very retarded w this. Gotta talk to me like this is my first tank even though its my 4th one lol

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the kit with the hole saw all you would need is a pump that is not larger than the overflow is rated for and the rest you can get at Home depot.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree, definitely drilling over HOB for an overflow. mine is HOB, because my 55 is totally all tempered (according to sticker). i would say, drill the side of the tank/bottom of the tank. 1 1/4 inch bulkhead should work. as would a 3/4 inch for the return. drsfostersmith has tubing and all for the drains and returns. all u need is the PVC parts for the hard plumbing stuff. drsfostersmith also sells bulkheads. there is a wealth of information on side/bottom plumbing so start googling it up!

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree, definitely drilling over HOB for an overflow. mine is HOB, because my 55 is totally all tempered (according to sticker). i would say, drill the side of the tank/bottom of the tank. 1 1/4 inch bulkhead should work. as would a 3/4 inch for the return. drsfostersmith has tubing and all for the drains and returns. all u need is the PVC parts for the hard plumbing stuff. drsfostersmith also sells bulkheads. there is a wealth of information on side/bottom plumbing so start googling it up!

You don’t need to order anything other than a pump if you want to from Foster and smith. The kit from glass-holes.com comes with everything you need including the bulkhead. And you SHOULD be ok drilling the back of the tank You don’t drill the bottom for the overflows from glass holes.

OP
OP
rebelprettyboy

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so lookin at glass hole and is this the best to get for the 40 breeder? Gonna be a mixed reef. Mostly Favias, Acans, Micros. Rare zoas. And some Nice SPS. So I want some good flow and will pick up a couple koralias

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think your going to find a hang on overflow that even comes close to the glass-holes overflows For what you’re doing I think the small one not the one for nanos but the next one up will be just fine. But you can get a bigger one if you really think that’s what you need. The overflows they sell take far less room in the tank than most others as well. Let me take a look and I’ll see if I can get you a link

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the kit with the hole saw all you would need is a pump that is not larger than the overflow is rated for and the rest you can get at Home depot.

you can also buy the pump with the overflow kit at the same time for cheap on their site.

OP
OP
rebelprettyboy

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wat is teeth? Do i need it?

It has a list of extras to the side to add to the order what all do I need?

And which pump do I get with it? lol

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back