Best Overflow box to get?

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wat is teeth? Do i need it?

It has a list of extras to the side to add to the order what all do I need?

And which pump do I get with it? lol

i dont remember what size tank your using but if your using a 10g I would get the mag 5. as for the extra's just say black for the elbow and your t-shirt size. for length I would thing short is fine for a 40 BUT if your not sure you can get the long and cut it down if you have to.

As for teeth it all depends. I got teeth to keep critters from flowing over the top but you get less surface skimming with it compared to no teeth. Also with teeth its a little harder to figure out where the water line will exactly be.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey rebel check out my members tank thread i just installed the glass-holes overflow and i really like it. I'm posting pics up in that thread right now actually. I just drilled the tank tonight and it was a breeze.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go min of a 20g sump maybe even a 30. If it was me I would put as big a sump as you can put under the tank unless you can drill the plumbing through the floor to put the sump in a basement. then I would go with another 40 breeder.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres the thing with HOB overflows...its not a matter of if it will fail...its when.

The problem lies in its overall design. Eventually it will begine to clog, and even will appear to be working properly. The problem lies in your return pump will eventually overpower the overflows drain capicity, and then...better get the mops, and wet vacs out.

Also, IMHO its a double edge sword on which to go with...The U-tube design SHOULDNT loose its vaccume, but it CAN happen. If youre not around, game over.

CPR makes a really nice one that does require an aqualifter pump to be hooked up. However, as long as you remember to keep everything maintained properly, you should have problems.

I can ran one for well over a year, and happened to be walking by my tank and noticed that the water was about 1/32" from flooding over onto my floor...the next day I tore down the tank, and went with drilled tanks from then on out.

OP
OP
rebelprettyboy

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure im gonna try drilling it now. Just ddont wanna mess anything up.

Another question is wheres the best place to buy a sump/refuge? If I dont want to make one? Still undecided on where to look around for one. Tried making one before but I didnt know what I was doing lol. Anyone got some website as well for good sump.fuge plans?

And thanks everyone for help. Glad I found this site cuz it woulda taken me forever to get help on swf. Since u cant post competiors websites cuz its a business. Thanks eveeryone.

Newayz work from 8-12 and freakin class from 1-5 today. ONE freakin class. Talking about boring sittin in one class for 5 hours. And its freakin geology.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its not that hard to maintain a HOB overflow. a drilled overflow can also be clogged with snails, detritus etc. i would say both CAN fail. its just drilled is much safer because you dont have to rely on a SIPHON to keep things going.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can either do a back drill or a side drill. either way will work, just depends on the orientation of the tank. if the tank is resting near a wall, id say back drill. if its a penninsula reef, id say side drill it.

OP
OP
rebelprettyboy

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also which black paint should I use to paint the back? jw what yall use? I sually just get some krylon black. Should I get the spray paint or the one u gotta get a brush and paint?

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes if you do the glass holes kit you will be very happy, I just installed the 1500gph overflow on my 100 gallon ... its smaller than any i've seen and is handling a mag18 full blast without even struggling (even growing my mangroves in the overflow box hasn't slowed it down at all)

Back