"Best" pump for my Closed Loop

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a general "how to" that requires someone with experience since I've only used closed loops with an Iwaki in a 50gal.

I have one closed loop plumbed on a 150g tank (5ft x 2ft x2 ft and on one side I will have a 1" "spray bar" type setup that houses 2 random flow generators with eductors. This is to simulate a gyre's flow across the top and it will be supplimented by Vortecs on the other side for primary flow. I'll use my return and UV closed loop for supplemental flow in the low flow areas.

I planned on using a reeflo pump at first because of the better pressure to drive the eductors, but part of me wants a DC pump so I can randomize the flow better. Given that I have eductors, is there a pump with enough pressure/GPH to get enough flow across the 5ft that isn't the Abyzz? I mean, I'd LOVE an Abyzz, but $2,000 is like 20% of what I've already spent on this project. Worst case, reeflo.

My options seem to be limited to a Vectra M2 3100GPH, but I can't fathom that being enough.

Pic attached. Note that the white PVC is for visual representation only. I have a schedule 80 pipe that I will use, just haven't measured/cut yet.
1648136862717.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sicce pumps quiet and reliable
Supreme aqua master
Cobalt

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second that the Maxspect Jump pumps could work I think. They are actually DC programmable returns with pulse and randomization out of the box. Heard good things about them so far. I can only speak to their sk-400 skimmer, but it is very quiet and powerful in my experience.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second that the Maxspect Jump pumps could work I think. They are actually DC programmable returns with pulse and randomization out of the box. Heard good things about them so far. I can only speak to their sk-400 skimmer, but it is very quiet and powerful in my experience.
I don't think the Maxspect is external. I need it to be external.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a vectra M1 on a closed loop with educators for years and it works just fine. Keep expecting the pump to die as I bought it right when the Vectra first came out ….. 7 years, something like that. Prior to that I ran a fluval seas pump which worked well also, though it would not vary flow levels like the Vectra.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running a vectra M1 on a closed loop with educators for years and it works just fine. Keep expecting the pump to die as I bought it right when the Vectra first came out ….. 7 years, something like that. Prior to that I ran a fluval seas pump which worked well also, though it would not vary flow levels like the Vectra.
Do you think it's enough flow to reach across a 5 ft tank with 2 eductors?

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your Vectra L2 3100GPH choice. If you're worried if this one pump can push Two eductors the length of your tank... Try it. Get the pump. Setup temporary plumbing using the pump submerged in the tank driving a single eductor, and temp plumbing driving two eductors. You'll be able to see the effect.

If you don't think it's strong enough driving the two eductors, then you can plumb the system using Two pumps. A dedicated pump per eductor. Of course, you'd need two closed loop return bulk heads for this.

I ran a setup like this for years. Two closed loops. Each a dedicated closed loop, per return (my case was a sea swirl), with dedicated pump each. Started with classic AC pump - Noisy! Switched to DC pumps, a life saver.

Tank is on the other side of the wall. White Reef Octopus pumps are the closed loops. This was for a 4ft tank, setup as classic box against the wall. Not pushing your 6ft length.
IMG_7216.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have educators at both ends of my 8' tank, so each only needs to 'reach' four feet. M1 does that relatively easily, so I think the L2 would work, yes.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. I already have the CL ready to be plumbed (drilled), but if it can't hack it, I'll just use it as a backup return pump, or a second closed loop for my UV.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next step beyond the m2 is an AmpMaster, both in power and wattage. Dolphin > ReeFlo, IMO. More pressure means that the eductors work better, but also more wattage.

OP
OP
Dakota_reef

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sicce sdc 9.0 is plumbed external in my basement. It has random flow capabilities.
I am major fan of Sicce DC pumps. 5 year warranty and they have fantastic customer service if you ever need it.

I looked at Sicce, but their highest GPH is 2700, whereas the Vectra is 3100. This pump needs to handle all the primary flow for the left side of the tank. to keep it clear of obstructions as it will be a viewing side.

I will supplement with rear mounted vortecs, OR another closed loop on the rigth side. Jury is still out on that. I'll be testing flow when I do a full leak test before adding saltwater. That way I can make changes.

I'm also deciding on if I want my UV to be plumbed into the closed loop, or split off of my return, but in algae sterilization mode, the GPH will be a lot through my sump.

The next step beyond the m2 is an AmpMaster, both in power and wattage. Dolphin > ReeFlo, IMO. More pressure means that the eductors work better, but also more wattage.
Electricity draw is not critical as I have solar/battery. My only concern with A/C magnetic/centrifugal pumps is noise, and a lack of control. I've used Iwakis and they seem quiet, but they aren't moving 3,500+ GPH. Plus, some of them require 2" plumbing that that will increase the distance from back of the tank to the wall. But I know those eductors will probably be enough for almost all my flow

Back