Best RODI System???

Javier Leon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ice cap RODI and seems to be pretty good so far and easy to use. But like someone said they are +- all the same, only the brand is the difference. But check your local water and on the salt I can take recommendations too cause I want to star making my own water , I live in Miami but sometimes the natural sea water is very low on calcium and alkalinity and that is a problem to me

Wes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have already chosen one but I bought my first MelevsReef RO/DI unit more than a decade ago. I appreciate being able to support a small indepedently owned business instead of a large corporation. Plus he is local to me! I now have his upgraded unit with the booster pump and can make 5 gallons of zero TDS water in 20 minutes! His customer service can’t be beat either, I broke a tiny part hanging it on my wall and he shipped a new one out the same day! There are lots of good companies out there and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from BRS as a good second choice, but I think this MelevsReef unit is the best option.

http://www.melevsreef.com/product/150-gpd-boosted-rodi-system

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Spectrapure Maxcap w/ auto flush. The salt I use is Tropic Marine Pro, since I am on the Triton Method and that is what they recommend.

Last edited:

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few people actually need a 6 stage unit unless their burning through resin for various reasons, or have a tough time removing chloramines (if your municipality even uses chloramines at all). So I would personally start with a 4-stage unit. You can always add to it.

Even BRS's universal carbon block for chloramines isn't the best chloramine remover and looks to need 2 blocks to be sure (from their own testing).# If I had chloramines I might even use the Spectrapure carbon filters for that.

From what I noticed, when folks use multiple DI canisters, it's mostly the Anion resin that gets depleted most often, while the cation resin will just take up space forever. So a canister of Anion, followed by the regular mixed bed resin would seem to be the optimal approach.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS 150 GPD 6 stage system. I bought it when I first started out and I bought it when I was first learning and bought the best I understood to be. I have a well myself.
I use the Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix been using it for the last five years love it

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all the help and advice! I ended up going with the BRS deluxe plus 6 stage unit. My county does use chloramines and from my understanding, this unit will get the job done! I really appreciate all the help and hope for this forum to help others in the future when they decide to choose a RODI unit. Happy reefing!!:p

ReefJunky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 150 gallon a day RODI system which I have added on a pump to increase the pressure. My RODI system consists of: pressure pump, 1 micron filter, carbon block, carbon block, 1 micron filter, two RO membranes, mixed bed DI resin canister then the second mixed bed DI resin canister. I have had it for about 6+ years and it works flawlessly. For salt, I use the HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix from BRS. It dissolves fast without much precipitate and is a high quality and purity salt mix that approximates seawater. I've used it for several years and have great results with it. As others have said do a little research for which salt mix best fits what you want to do. If you do change salt mixes do it gradually so you don't change the water parameters too quickly. Marine life does not like fast changes to water chemistry! Happy Reefing!

mfarris2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at that one! I'm between that one, the 4 stage marine depot one, and the one by aquatic life. I'll have to d a little more research to figure out what salt I want. Thanks!!
Hope you did not purchase ANYTHING from Marine Depot. Their return policy sucks. (If you open a box and find there is a defect, you must go through manufacture. They do not accept returns on open box items.) IE I purchased some lighting. On day one had issues. Went through manufacture after told to do so. After several issues in less than three months, I wanted my money back. Was told in so many words,....."so sad,....to bad." Once the box is open,......no returns.
I myself spent almost $3000 on lighting and brackets on this one order. Many times that with all my other orders with them. I now would not give them a nickel to purchase $100 cash!

jcl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to air water & ice, great company, answered all my questions, and so on.
I also have their "anti-TDS-creep" bucket to hold the product water
For drinking I have a separate setup from Kinetico (K5) as well as a water softener.

-JCL

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done building my mixing station in my garage. I have to install my BRS 6 stage RODI system with the membrane upgrade along with a Booster pump that will sit above my mixing station.
Got the station up and running & mixing salt with my VarioS4 DC Pump but still have to hook my the RODI... Also, I use a GHL MaxiSA doser that's connected to my salt barrel for my AWC's..
50 GALLON MIXING STATION
Mixing station.jpg

BRS 6 STAGE RODI SYSTEM Inc. a Booster Pump
brs6stage RODI & booster.JPG

GHL MaxiSA
Maxi SA Unit.JPG

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you buy one from a reputable dealer and maintain in properly.

Couldn't agree more. Especially if this is your first system, and you're not entirely clear in your understanding of what all the pieces parts do. I can tell you that there are a LOT of ill-configured systems out there with much less than quality components and filters. Stick with a reputable dealer, and a R2R sponsor would be a good idea as well.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of them are good and most use the same components... there are only a few manufacturers of membranes and media.

There are actually many manufactures of membranes and media, and many manufacturers of all the components as well.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Coralview auto backflush? The next one I get will have auto backflush.

Just so people don't get confused... there is no such thing as a BACKflush on these units. NEVER run water backwards through the RO membrane. Although I'll bet you could find one of those wonderful cut rate ebay systems that do it. ::rolleyes:: A properly configured flush valve, when opened, allows water to bypass the flow restrictor - there's no reversal of flow direction.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Units will be pretty much the same quality...
After having sourced and tested umpteen gazillion parts for a zillion suppliers over the last 20+ years, I'll respectfully disagree with this. No way, no how.

So if you take any info from these posts the most important would be good Filters, preferably a prefilter that has a Absolute rating ( it means it has been test and nothing over its rating will leak through ) and can be more expensive.
Although absolute rated filters are better quality, they are often not needed as RO system prefilters.

WaterNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS 5 stage 150. I’ve had it for a while and happy with it. Like everyone said there are others that are good and I don’t think there is a best. As far as salt I use the Red Sea Coral Pro salt. The good thing I like about this salt is that it mixes in about 20-30 mins.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine last about 9 months and I push about 1000 gallons every month through it, I just replace the sediment filter every week.

https://www.coralvue.com/icecap-ro-di-smart-water-filtration-system
You change the sediment weekly?? I've always thought one doesn't need to worry about replacing the sediment filter until there's a pressure drop.
I have a 0.2 micron sediment. Haven't changed it in.... Honestly don't know how long it has been. I'd have to go back and check my records. I've haven't worried about it because the pressure through the system hasn't changed. I hope I haven't been doing it wrong all this time...

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE my SpectrPure UHE unit. Float-switch-controlled to turn on automatically when bin gets low and turn off automatically when bin is full. Autoflushes every so often (one hour??) during run using product water pulled back up into the system, as well as when the system shuts down so that the membranes are soaking in clean water. Highly recommended
I've looked at that many, many times. I love the concept. But boy, oh boy... That price difference is a WHOLE lot of filters and water. I'd probably be in the Great Coral Reef in the Sky before I recouped the cost.

Last edited:

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frequency of sediment filter change out varies for everyone depending upon what we call their "sediment profile." Meaning the amount of sediment you have, and the size of that sediment. If you find that your sediment filter clogs more frequently than you'd like, you can add a housing and sediment filter with a larger pore size ahead of (upstream of) your existing sediment filter.

At my house, after 6 months, my 1 micron sediment filter is still as white as the day I installed it. Your mileage will vary.

Russ

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back