elm03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m new to this and never had a salt/fresh water tank before. I’ve been looking at different stores and places online to get a tank, but I’m not sure which one is best? I was looking at glass frameless ones, and possibly something from fluval but I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks! Thanks!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m new to this and never had a salt/fresh water tank before. I’ve been looking at different stores and places online to get a tank, but I’m not sure which one is best? I was looking at glass frameless ones, and possibly something from fluval but I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks! Thanks!!

A 25 or 30g AIO I found to be the easiest and least stressful. Water changes are a breeze and everything is easily accessible to remove any pests, clean the sand, rocks and so on. Easy to light and easy to get proper flow.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true! I’m gonna end up getting the Fluval Evo XII 13.5 gallon salt water kit.
It’s a great tank to start and see if you like it. Just know that if you do, chances are you are going to want something bigger.

Maybe get a used one ?

drunkn_reefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. If you’re looking for a lower budget AIO give this tank a look. It’s made by Tidelines. I have a 22 gallon cube and it’s a nice little tank. I upgraded the return pump because it’s pretty bad. Just thought I’d share. Good luck. I didn’t checked the reviews when I purchased mine so you may want to check them out. But I have no complaints. It’s been running for well over a year.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their all good tanks, just pick what works for you and go with it….if reefing is for you, you’ll end up with another tank and most likely be successful with whatever you start with

dracogrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie as well. Deciding between a Planet Tideline and the RS AIOs. Totally understand the rabbit holes you can get lost in. From everything I've read and watched (BRStv has helped a lot) going larger does help with the issues that crop up with newbie tanks as there's more buffer to make mistakes. Which I know I'll be doing no matter how much I prep. ;)

jake88mxdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wb 60.2
IMG_5439.jpg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true! I’m gonna end up getting the Fluval Evo XII 13.5 gallon salt water kit.
Best AIO tank on the market for the money. It's also extremely popular, and you can mod the heck out of it for optimal performance. Best yet, if you find that you don't like reefing, you won't end up like many other folks do, and spend thousands of dollars on a setup...only to find out that you can only recoup cents on the dollar when you sell it. You really can't go wrong with it for a first tank and, if you want to upgrade later, it will serve as a great quarantine/hospital/frag tank.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really recommend a nuvo, waterbox or red sea aquarium, in that order. If you live in a populated are you can usually find a deal on a nice used tank and save a ton of money. That's how I started. Nuvo 25 lagoons are awsome and so are the nuvo 30l fusions.

OP
OP
elm03

elm03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best AIO tank on the market for the money. It's also extremely popular, and you can mod the heck out of it for optimal performance. Best yet, if you find that you don't like reefing, you won't end up like many other folks do, and spend thousands of dollars on a setup...only to find out that you can only recoup cents on the dollar when you sell it. You really can't go wrong with it for a first tank and, if you want to upgrade later, it will serve as a great quarantine/hospital/frag tank.
Yeah, I found one in my area new out the box never used for $130 so I’m snatching it up :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I were you, I'd buy separate components. I had the evo tank. Something like a 20 gallon would be cheap to set up. A 40 gallon would be better and barely more expensive to setup.

Also please please please buy pre quarantined fish (this does not mean fish at an lfs that are sitting in copper water). Eventually you can set up your own qt for invets/coral and another for fish but it's easier to buy pre qt fish if you are brand new

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 13g is kind of small and limits what fish you can keep and limited space for corals.

You could honestly buy a 20g at Petco during the sales for $20 or the 40g for $40 or whatever. Then add your own quality lights and such and have more room for corals/fish then going with those little Fluvals and better lighting to boot.

The tank itself doesn't matter, it is just a glass box to hold water. It is the equiptment and ease of maintenance and size that are bigger factors.

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 13g is kind of small and limits what fish you can keep and limited space for corals.

You could honestly buy a 20g at Petco during the sales for $20 or the 40g for $40 or whatever. Then add your own quality lights and such and have more room for corals/fish then going with those little Fluvals and better lighting to boot.

The tank itself doesn't matter, it is just a glass box to hold water. It is the lighting/flow/ease of maintinence and size that are bigger factors.
bros right about that

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back