Best universal auto top off?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U read it!
I need a great auto top off that will work both on my nano and 300g.
Buddy swears by the old reliable float switch. just a bobber like a toilet flap or toilet float.

I'm looking at the newer laser levers or sensor ones. Maybe a tunze since they are so reliable and make good quality stuff imo.
thanks!
-d

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had so many problems with my Tunze Nano ATO that I swapped it out for an XP Aqua Duetto. The Tunze almost overflowed the rear chamber on my 10G AIO numerous times that I just had enough and got something else. I couldn't trust it. For the price, it was poorly made, the shield broke, and the switch and magnet interfered with each other. So far no problems with the Duetto, but I've only had it running 2 weeks.

Last edited:

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Tunze Osmolator. I hear from a lot of people that the Apex ato is junk. In my old 150 gallon I just had a standard float valve in my sump coming directly from my ro/di. That was before I knew any better. Lol. It worked and never had issues.... but then again I was at the mercy of a 14.00 dollar plastic bobber.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have three Tunze Osmolator 3155 running in three tanks. They have been extremely solid for me. I’ve used them in tanks ranging in size from 25-150 gallons. There is a voltage dial inside the control box that controls the pump strength so that you can adjust to your needs for different size tanks or head pressure.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Autotopoff.com components to run RODI directly to my sump for top offs. I discovered when I moved into my house that I have some seriously high water pressure after I blew not one but 2 garden hoses. I had some trouble with my auto top off would stay running overfilling my sump. I tried stretching the spring on the solenoid but that didn't work(this is what autotopoff.com suggested I try). Last week I ordered an ASCO Redhat solenoid from valvesandinstruments.com and everything is working perfectly.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that those short run times are adversely affecting the longevity of your RO/DI unit? Also there are plenty of bad reports of solenoids failing and a setup like you have, will flood the tank when it does fail open.

A&Aaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Autotopoff.com components to run RODI directly to my sump for top offs. I discovered when I moved into my house that I have some seriously high water pressure after I blew not one but 2 garden hoses. I had some trouble with my auto top off would stay running overfilling my sump. I tried stretching the spring on the solenoid but that didn't work(this is what autotopoff.com suggested I try). Last week I ordered an ASCO Redhat solenoid from valvesandinstruments.com and everything is working perfectly.

If your water pressure is blowing out garden hoses, you seriously need to figure out why that's happening. I assume you are on town water?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that those short run times are adversely affecting the longevity of your RO/DI unit? Also there are plenty of bad reports of solenoids failing and a setup like you have, will flood the tank when it does fail open.
I have considered using a reservoir to fill with RODI. I don't understand why the short runs hurt the unit? Does an auto flush prevent the damage?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water pressure is blowing out garden hoses, you seriously need to figure out why that's happening. I assume you are on town water?
After the 2 hoses blew we bought a better hose and we haven't had any problems since. Needless to say we don't leave the spigot on!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back