Best way to do a reef tank upgrade in same location?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefED!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReefED!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2022
Messages
1,112
Reaction score
848
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at a tank upgrade and need some ideas

* new tank will go in current tank location
* live stock will transfer
* NEW aquascape
* will need to frag off corals that are encrusted before transfer

So far it seems like there’s only 2 ways to do this

1.) get the tank moved and set up in a new location (perhaps just elsewhere in the same room)

2.) use some kind of Rubbermaid tub to get corals situated and then do a same day breakdown / transfer

I just don’t know how feasible #2 is - can corals be kept alive in a tub with some flow / light for a few weeks ?
 
I had to deal with a leak years ago. I decided to upgrade from 75 to 90g. The tank was going in the same place. I got a Brute trashcan and all the small tanks I had (2x 10g and 1x 20g). Transferred the LR to all three (and the brute) and tossed the sand. Put a heater in each along with a powerhead. It took me 3 days to change over as I had to modify my stand to handle the extra water weight (about a half day for that). I limited feeding and had no lighting. When the stand was done and the 90 was on it, I put new sand in and transferred the LR. I let it settle overnight. The next morning I transferred the livestock. No casualties. It's not that hard, ya just have to have a plan.

Now, you're gonna have to deal with the time necessary to make a new aquascape, but if you plan that out right, it shouldn't take too long. I just did what we all did back in the day and piled it up against the back glass.
 
Any issues with keeping corals alive like that for a week?
 
Unfortunately, I couldn't tell ya. I've never gone that long. My experience is only limited to half that time.
 
I did #2 when i went from a 90G > 150G. You can easily keep corals alive in the tub(s). Heater & powerheads; light if they will be in the tubs for extended period time. If you have everything prepped and ready to go (like in the garage) you should be able to make the swap over a weekend. Will the aquascape be already ready to go (already wet/been curing) or brand new dry rock? That is your biggest determinator.
 
I’m looking at a tank upgrade and need some ideas

* new tank will go in current tank location
* live stock will transfer
* NEW aquascape
* will need to frag off corals that are encrusted before transfer

So far it seems like there’s only 2 ways to do this

1.) get the tank moved and set up in a new location (perhaps just elsewhere in the same room)

2.) use some kind of Rubbermaid tub to get corals situated and then do a same day breakdown / transfer

I just don’t know how feasible #2 is - can corals be kept alive in a tub with some flow / light for a few weeks ?
You are about to do what I am in the middle of doing. Check out the link in my signature. Mine have been in this stock tank for 2 months now. Short of the crack I didn’t notice, they are thriving. Coralline coated the tub within 2 weeks. Lots of acros have white tips.
 
You are about to do what I am in the middle of doing. Check out the link in my signature. Mine have been in this stock tank for 2 months now. Short of the crack I didn’t notice, they are thriving. Coralline coated the tub within 2 weeks. Lots of acros have white tips.
Very interesting - thanks!

Edit: I went through the thread and didn’t notice you giving much info about your tub usage

What’s the setup?

I was hoping for something simple because I’d only be upgrading from a 120 to a 180 (more or less)

Nice upgrade but nothing massive
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new