Best website for DIY led kits

glamisracers

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi r2r I'm looking to switch to LEDs from my halides tired of changing bulbs out I want to build my own lights but so many different brands where did you get yours from? How did you build yours let's see some pics I'm not really sold on LEDs yet but hopefully seeing some of your builds I will be let's see them guys !!!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey we have some sponsors that sell DIY kits!

Dave A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found a single "kit" that is worth the effort to build. No single vendor offers the best of everything, let alone packages it all in a single "kit." In my case, I did my research into emitters first and found that the only way to get the spectrum I wanted was to use a mix of LEDs from several manufacturers. At the time, StevesLEDs had everything I wanted but they no longer carry any Cree LEDs at all so if I were to do it again, I'd need at least 2 vendors for the emitters alone (or just use more Luxeons and skip the XT-Es, which would be my choice in hindsight).
Heatsinks and drivers were another story. I chose to use LDD drivers which were not available at the time from any of the usual vendors, I had to get them from an "electronics supply" type place. I got my heatsink from another source since I didn't like what was available from Steve's.
I'd say, skip the kit and buy the parts you want separately. You'll be much happier with the finished product if it isn't made of compromises just to simplify the ordering process.

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built two of the Aquastyle Online dimmable kits. One has been running almost two years. Great value.
Just use the 3/4" aluminum channel from Lowes. No heat issues at all with both of my builds.

Even though I have not built one, I like the Makers LED design.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a set of Rapids, you can easily add other LED's in to change the spectrum. My advice is to spend a good bit of your study process time on the light spectrum issue. Then make a decision, you may decide to buy an off the shelf set or build after that. I think several LED kit vendors offer heat sinks as a separate item. If I ever build another LED set I will buy my LEDs and drivers and heat sinks and do the rest my self. Be sure you understand what configurations of wiring each driver can handle before you buy it.

It isn't all that complicated. IE: I have a spare royal blue Cree LED under a shelf over my keyboard so I can see my keyboard at night. (The shelf carries my two large flat screens). I power that LED with an old cell phone charger. It uses a short piece of aluminum channel for a heat sink and it doesn't even get warm.

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built two of the Aquastyle Online dimmable kits. One has been running almost two years. Great value.
Just use the 3/4" aluminum channel from Lowes. No heat issues at all with both of my builds.

Even though I have not built one, I like the Makers LED design.

Same here aquastyle on u channel for over a year. I prefer t5 with my leds even "full spectrum" leds.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, im glad you like it.

Thanks mike for posting my thread

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a kit from Steve's LEDs. Been working on it for 3 days. His stuff is complicated and I followed his diagram to the T. There are a lot of options out there

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back