!!!BEWARE THE FANG GANG!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll never forget when the original "wolverine" was thrust upon a number of years ago on this very forum by short-lived sponsor Reef Raft Canada. We all drooled over that super rich purple yellow combo like nothing we'd ever seen before. It was pretty remarkable actually. I think we can all agree to that. This was not something we were used to seeing at all. And we liked it, a lot.

Well, what often happens with sps, after an initial introduction of a "super coral" such is this one, is that we soon start to see "like" or very similar looking pieces flood in. More vendors get their hands on them, and will either pass them off as "the real thing" or slap their name in front like "Shmoes corals Wolverine," for example. Before long, any coral that even slightly resembles that original showstopper, is now considered generically a "Wolverine" and eventually just about everyone's got some version of the "Wolverine". Happens pretty often in fact.

So, love it or hate it, here I am just keeping up with the status quo. And what I mean by that is, I've gone ahead and "Wolferized" this one too. It's blue, it's yellow and kind of looks like the old Wolfy...a teeny bit, so what the heck. I may be phoning this one in here a little, but the BC Awarewolf's time is now! Super scary and on the site tonight.

IMG_0435-Edit-3.jpg IMG_0435-Edit-2.jpg IMG_0435-Edit.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! But I have a question. Now....I’m not a professional in the industry, but I can be logical

At some point was the original wolverine not plucked from the ocean somewhere? At some point does maybe more than one person find themselves under water at the same location and collecting from the same colony?

I guess what I’m getting at, is we have all seen lots of corals that look wildly similar but have different trade names due to different vendors.

We have also seen identical pieces take on some very different shapes and colors based on environmental cues in different tanks. Sometimes barely even resembling the original colony they came from.

I guess what I’m getting at is, unless someone personally collected multiples from the same colony themselves, we can only guess what may or may not be the same....but I am willing to bet that many named corals in circulation are in fact from the same source but being sold under a different name.

I digress. Hope to have a piece of the BC awarewolf at some point!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, honest presentation. Who cares, if it looks beautiful anyway.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! But I have a question. Now....I’m not a professional in the industry, but I can be logical

At some point was the original wolverine not plucked from the ocean somewhere? At some point does maybe more than one person find themselves under water at the same location and collecting from the same colony?

I guess what I’m getting at, is we have all seen lots of corals that look wildly similar but have different trade names due to different vendors.

We have also seen identical pieces take on some very different shapes and colors based on environmental cues in different tanks. Sometimes barely even resembling the original colony they came from.

I guess what I’m getting at is, unless someone personally collected multiples from the same colony themselves, we can only guess what may or may not be the same....but I am willing to bet that many named corals in circulation are in fact from the same source but being sold under a different name.

I digress. Hope to have a piece of the BC awarewolf at some point!

This happens with mariculture corals. You can watch them cut 20+ frags and grow them out. Some get planted back into the ocean and then they keep some to continue the source of frags and colonies instead of picking more from the ocean.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This happens with mariculture corals. You can watch them cut 20+ frags and grow them out. Some get planted back into the ocean and then they keep some to continue the source of frags and colonies instead of picking more from the ocean.

Indeed. maricultures are directly responsible for so many of the "same" corals out there with different names and such. they just keep picking and propagating the same stuff. It's gets shipped all over and lots of vendors have "their" version of it. Just a product of the name game really. People like to be able to associate with things and names facilitate that really well.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new here. Probably half or more of your catalog of BC exclusives are corals that existed in the hobby as something else and had a silly BC name slapped on them. It's fine. It's just a name after all and you have to do something to set your brand and products apart from the rest. FWIW, this coral looks nothing like an original RR Wolverine from the polyps, to the corallite structure, to the growth form.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new here. Probably half or more of your catalog of BC exclusives are corals that existed in the hobby as something else and had a silly BC name slapped on them. It's fine. It's just a name after all and you have to do something to set your brand and products apart from the rest. FWIW, this coral looks nothing like an original RR Wolverine from the polyps, to the corallite structure, to the growth form.
You need to watch this when it's fully released. Of course his looks nothing like the "original" wolverine, it was grown in totally different conditions. Will look nothing like the original in your tank either. That's how this hobby is.
https://reefbuilders.com/2018/07/25/video-preview-wild-corals-adaptation-aquarium-life/
The conditions one grows a coral in can DRASTICALLY alter it's appearance, both in color and form. That's what makes the name game so silly. There are probably 20+ different varieties of red planet out there for instance. Red Planet, Cornbread Maleficent, Tierra Del Fuego, etc. They're all the same corals. Just grown in different conditions. Perhaps a little difference in genetic material allows some versions to be more vibrant than others like the JF home wrecker compared with the Walt Disney for instance. But, they are still the same species of coral.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam included the BC Awarewolf in my Battlebox two months ago. So I can add that it's a reasonably fast grower. It has encrusted on the rock I put it on and new growth is starting to turn blue even though it was green when I got it.

At the time I received it, I thought it deserved to be featured on his website. So happy to see it get the recognition it deserves. :)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Another truth treat! Just like clockwork, and as always, the smartest guy in the room. Your boundless wisdom will truly bury us all.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super Sexy! kinda makes me sad though as this was one of the frags in my original Battle Box that got delayed over 4th of July, and died a horrible death at the FEDEX facility... Have to get one in the future!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another truth treat! Just like clockwork, and as always, the smartest guy in the room. Your boundless wisdom will truly bury us all.
He always has such insightful posts, send him a battle box stat! lol. Jealousy......:rolleyes:;Hilarious Always like your posts adam and looking at your coral is a bonus.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any factual data to back up this claim?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
He always has such insightful posts, send him a battle of stat! lol. Jealousy......:rolleyes:;Hilarious Always like your posts adam and looking at your coral is a bonus.

Lol right on, thank you:) Bounce is without a doubt my mostest favoritest troll of all.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new here. Probably half or more of your catalog of BC exclusives are corals that existed in the Ocean living a great life got ripped out and had a silly BC name slapped on them. It's fine. It's just a name after all and you have to do something to set your brand and products apart from the rest. FWIW, this coral looks nothing like an original RR Wolverine from the polyps to the am I can’t keep this up anymore who is this guy really Adam? I truly hope u don’t care what he thinks about your amazing Corals

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get too off topic but I’ve browsed the catalogue and posts for a while and I feel like Adam is always straight up when he gets a piece from another source and keeps its original name and credits it when due. The big win in buying from Adam is the fact that they’re clean and well adjusted to tank life

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it difficult always being so bitter? Smearing others on forums won’t make you any happier, it will only further your misery. I never understand posts like this. If you don’t like something just move on.....

Great stuff Adam.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back