bicolor blenny eating corals?

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some great corals from @acro-ed , but as soon as I started acclimating them to the tank, it appeared my blenny was nipping at them. I figured he was just going after algae, but could not see any algae on the acropora at all. Fast forward to today, several of the acros are bleached, the others stressed. Mind you: I'm making no argument my water conditions are perfect.

Is this because of the stress from shipping, alone? or, do I have a blenny that likes eating corals?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some blennies eat coral and some don’t...just like angles. You might of just got unlucky and gotten a coral eater

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with bi-color blennies personally...but, I've seen posts about them nipping SPS before. One was just recently actually...

I think it could be either, what are your current parameters? Any other corals besides the new ones looking stressed?

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bi color nipped my Favia to death, went after my Digi and Monti cap next - I Got rid of him.

It was a sad day because his personality was great but can’t lose coral over a fish....

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bi color nipped my Favia to death, went after my Digi and Monti cap next - I Got rid of him.

It was a sad day because his personality was great but can’t lose coral over a fish....
I'd say that they're NOT reef safe with the stipulation that some may be docile.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BonelessEvil

I suspect I may have an SPS munching bicolor blenny. Does my SPS damage look similar to yours?

IMG_1554.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1549.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with bi-color blennies personally...but, I've seen posts about them nipping SPS before. One was just recently actually...

I think it could be either, what are your current parameters? Any other corals besides the new ones looking stressed?

Parameters are okay. 440 calcium, 8.8 dKH, 1280 magnesium, 0.12 phosphate (turned GFO on to knock that down), salinity 1.024 (for short time. had to fix that), and everything else in the tank looking fine. It's just the new stuff

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your coral, but also good to know as I have considered getting one for my reef.
I really love the little *******, but yeah. Now that I've actually seen him nipping at a coral, I'm bummed. Still, as I mentioned before, I've never seen him nip badly at any of my corals. I have other acropora, Cyphastrea, Zoanthids, Monti's doing fine. Still, I think this little guy needs to go.:mad::(

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this one first came, it was stressed from shipping, but overall, looking okay… I think. (I'm not entirely experienced and did not notice at this point, whether that fraying at the bottom was my fish.
20190213_134325.jpg

yesterday, it was almost entirely bleached. I haven't seen him touch all of the corals, but really just this one. Yet,…this is how he looks today.:mad:eek:h well, live and learn.
20190215_190019.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back