OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, @Bulk Reef Supply, like I said, I understand that you have to do what vendors tell you to do with MSRP. That being said, I DO remember when you bought MD that you specifically said that the plus is that you can now leverage companies to give better products for the reefers and such, Ryan and Randy both said that. Well...now you can do that very thing. You can leverage companies on pricing. I get the price increase due to the epidemic, I DO, but when is enough truly enough. I feel everyone should have the best return pump on the market at a decent price. Realistically, you will never have an Abyzz pump at the same price as a Cor 20 or Vortech pump, their is to much difference in the build quality and performance, BUT, you can tell vendors that the pricing is just to high for most people and you can leverage them in lowering it. Every company should make money, that's not what this is about, IT'S JUST me saying that we need to find a way for every single reefer out their to own a Abyzz pump or something close the the ABSOLUTE TOP return pump.

I am simply saying, @Bulk Reef Supply, do the right thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel any better Bill, which it won’t, I paid exactly £1241.66 in August 2019 for 2 abyss a200’s for each pump

Ive just checked the price here in the UK from my supplier, and there now £1834.00 which is frankly outrageous. That’s GBP not $ but you can do the conversion

Everything in the Uk and apparently Europe is going up big time apparently due to some stupid ‘bug’ oh and don’t forget a shortage of lorry drivers!

The a400 is £2470!!!

So on a positive note, with my advice, look how much I’ve saved you!
LOL, you are good in recommending that size Abyzz. If it runs that monster of a tank you have, I should be fine in my itty bitty 225 gal tank...LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Your monster tank is looking great!!! It is something we need to strive to achieve. Much Respect!!!

For those that have not seen Shaun's build, I will ask you to look at it. It is a gorgeous tank times 2 as he added his monster tank to his original tank build thread. Either one is gorgeous in its own right.

Last edited:

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
K, @Bulk Reef Supply, like I said, I understand that you have to do what vendors tell you to do with MSRP. That being said, I DO remember when you bought MD that you specifically said that the plus is that you can now leverage companies to give better products for the reefers and such, Ryan and Randy both said that. Well...now you can do that very thing. You can leverage companies on pricing. I get the price increase due to the epidemic, I DO, but when is enough truly enough. I feel everyone should have the best return pump on the market at a decent price. Realistically, you will never have an Abyzz pump at the same price as a Cor 20 or Vortech pump, their is to much difference in the build quality and performance, BUT, you can tell vendors that the pricing is just to high for most people and you can leverage them in lowering it. Every company should make money, that's not what this is about, IT'S JUST me saying that we need to find a way for every single reefer out their to own a Abyzz pump or something close the the ABSOLUTE TOP return pump.

I am simply saying, @Bulk Reef Supply, do the right thing.
Agreed 1000%

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be installing my temp Trident today, BUT, guess what, FedEx strikes again. I will not received it until tomorrow...LOL Is this the new saying of FedEx, It ships today, BUT, WHO KNOWS when you will get it and in what shape it shows up in, so sorry!!!

I am curious as to whether or not is shows up in ONE piece this time.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm convinced that Ryan at BRS has been cut out of the business side of things. He stated in a video regarding the new investors that he wanted to have the creative freedom to create video content because he was not business savvy, unlike his partner. I want to believe that if Ryan took a look at the direction the company is already heading, he would be disappointed. I feel like he's been paid off to go have fun so the corporate side of things could take over while Ryan maintained the public imagine... at least I hope. I've always been partial to Ryan and Randy. I'm not a fan of corporate greed.

On a side note, I had no idea Abyzz used to be that cheap two years ago... I wouldn't second guess getting an A200 for a 225G at that price. I don't think I can justify an Abyzz for my 225G build. I can have 2 oversized Vectras and a backup on the shelf for the same price.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm convinced that Ryan at BRS has been cut out of the business side of things. He stated in a video regarding the new investors that he wanted to have the creative freedom to create video content because he was not business savvy, unlike his partner. I want to believe that if Ryan took a look at the direction the company is already heading, he would be disappointed. I feel like he's been paid off to go have fun so the corporate side of things could take over while Ryan maintained the public imagine... at least I hope. I've always been partial to Ryan and Randy. I'm not a fan of corporate greed.

On a side note, I had no idea Abyzz used to be that cheap two years ago... I wouldn't second guess getting an A200 for a 225G at that price. I don't think I can justify an Abyzz for my 225G build. I can have 2 oversized Vectras and a backup on the shelf for the same price.
Vectras and Cor's have the same exact head pressure, While the Abyzz has 10+. GPH means nothing when head pressure comes into play. I am currently running 2 Cor 20's and all I can get out of them is 600 GPH max each. When you factor in reactors it kills them. I know this for a fact on the Cor 20's, and Vectras are roughly the same pump.

Screenshot (263).png

Using Apex's own flow meters, the top one is with no reactors, the bottom on is with a simple Carbon reactor. The Carbon reactor is the bottom flow reading. Both Cor 20'a are at 100 percent. Cor 20's are rated at 2000 GPH.

I have no problem with Ryan or Randy, I am just stating what both had said when they acquired Marine Depot. :)

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, you are good in recommending that size Abyzz. If it runs that monster of a tank you have, I should be fine in my itty bitty 225 gal tank...LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Your monster tank is looking great!!! It is something we need to strive to achieve. Much Respect!!!

For those that have not seen Shaun's build, I will ask you to look at it. It is a gorgeous tank times 2 as he added his monster tank to his original tank build thread. Either one is gorgeous in its own right.

Thanks for the kind words Bill it’s greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to call FedEx and make sure them delivering a package to my house in not a inconvenience to them. I mean, I wouldn't want to inconvenience them, maybe I should go to the FedEx store and pick it up to make it easier on them. I wouldn't want them to take a chance and possibly sprain something or pull a muscle lifting my Trident.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is were Ecotech stands so far above all other makers of flow pumps. I have to MP40's and 2 Gyre 350's in my tank. In 2.5 seconds I change out of my MP powerheads. A hour later I am still dealing with cleaning my Gyre pump heads. I looked at getting a full set of impellers and such from Coralvue, but, they are currently out of the flow directors. I suggested to them that they should offer a full kit to do the same as the Ecotech MP pumps. That's the major drawback to a Gyre is the constant cleaning of the impellers. Maxspect Gyres are GREAT powerheads, but, they do require a little maintenance to keep the flow up.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing, with a few responses from a report I sent about something, that I may not be a MOD much longer, BUT, I guess its for the best. I will take some time away from R2R, I need to see were I stand on certain things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now this is were Ecotech stands so far above all other makers of flow pumps. I have to MP40's and 2 Gyre 350's in my tank. In 2.5 seconds I change out of my MP powerheads. A hour later I am still dealing with cleaning my Gyre pump heads. I looked at getting a full set of impellers and such from Coralvue, but, they are currently out of the flow directors. I suggested to them that they should offer a full kit to do the same as the Ecotech MP pumps. That's the major drawback to a Gyre is the constant cleaning of the impellers. Maxspect Gyres are GREAT powerheads, but, they do require a little maintenance to keep the flow up.
I currently have 2 of the gyre 350s on my 120. I love the flow of get with them. I've never had any of the mp pumps. Do you get a nice flow that is comparable to the gyres in any way? In your opinion would 2 mp 40s give good flow in a 120 and not leave too many dead areas with not much flow and in your opinion are they good enough to cover a 120?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 of the gyre 350s on my 120. I love the flow of get with them. I've never had any of the mp pumps. Do you get a nice flow that is comparable to the gyres in any way? In your opinion would 2 mp 40s give good flow in a 120 and not leave too many dead areas with not much flow and in your opinion are they good enough to cover a 120?
LOL, I asked the same in the Ecotech forum. The MP pumps are second to none, BUT, as I am sure can understand, the Gyre moves the whole tank. I am not sure if a MP pump can move the tank the same way as a Gyre. I would like to replace my Gyre 350's with 2 MP60's, BUT, I am not sure it the same movement will be replicated. I will likely take the dive and add 2 MP60's to see if I get something of the same when movement is compared.;)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of getting mp 40s but that's what I'm afraid of, that I won't get the same type of flow as the 350s.
I run 2 MP40's on the backside of my scape. They are very powerful. I am currently running them at 40 percent on RC and they have no issue in removing the sand on the back...LOL!!! I am looking at MP60's because of the size of my tank. At 225, even a MP40 will struggle to move the amount of water that I need it to move. They do move water differently. I say that a Gyre moves the tank, while a MP pump is more focused. I do like the fact that a MP gives you the option to keep LPS down low while a Gyre keeps the same flow throughout the tank and thus, you are less likely to keep LPS down low.

I asked Coralvue to put together a replacement assy to aid in cleaning the pumps like a MP wetside. I love my Gyres, BUT, I am still waiting on putting them back, WHILE, I already replace my MP40 wetsides in roughly 10 seconds.

Last edited:

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 MP40's on the backside of my scape. They are very powerful. I am currently running them at 40 percent on RC and they have no issue in removing the sand on the back...LOL!!! I am looking at MP60's because of the size of my tank. At 225, even a MP40 will struggle to move the amount of water that I need it to move. They do move water differently. I say that a Gyre moves the tank, while a MP pump is more focused. I do like the fact that a MP gives you the option to keep LPS down low while a Gyre keeps the same flow throughout the tank and thus, you are less likely to keep LPS down low.

I asked Coralvue to put together a replacement assy to aid in cleaning the pumps like a MP wetside. I love my Gyres, BUT, I am still waiting on putting them back, WHILE, I already replace my MP40 wetsides in roughly 10 seconds.
If Maxspect could create easily removable impeller heads like the Vortech wetsides, that would be a game changer... imagine being able to quick change the heads for cleaning. I would be sold on any tank longer than 60".

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I asked the same in the Ecotech forum. The MP pumps are second to none, BUT, as I am sure can understand, the Gyre moves the whole tank. I am not sure if a MP pump can move the tank the same way as a Gyre. I would like to replace my Gyre 350's with 2 MP60's, BUT, I am not sure it the same movement will be replicated. I will likely take the dive and add 2 MP60's to see if I get something of the same when movement is compared.;)
In my large system I run an MP60 at each end (so 2 in total) and a single MP40 in the centre and movement is fine. There run at 100% most of the time in random flow patterns

I run the nutrient option for around 9 hours in early mornings and this really works and gets rid of any rubbish on the rockwork etc

In the S650 I have MP40’s at each end

And they are just so easy to clean…..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back