Bio cube 32

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 15 years out of the hobby, my wife surprised me with a 32 gallon biocube for my birthday. The long term goal is a mixed reef that grows into the need for a larger tank.
Hardware changes/adds:
Steve's LED with Iridescence Booster and solid glass cover: https://www.stevesleds.com/Biocube-32-LED-Turbo-Upgrade-System-Plug-and-Play_p_332.html
In Tank media: https://intankaquatics.com/intank-media-basket-for-coralife-led-biocube-32/
In Tank fuge basket: https://intankaquatics.com/intank-fuge-basket-for-coralife-led-biocube-32/
Fuge light: https://intankaquatics.com/led-full-spectrum-aquarium-refugium-light/
Coralife Biocube Protein Skimmer V2:
AI Nero 3 powerheads:
UV Sterilizer:
Two fans in the back of the hood for cooling:
ATO:
ATO container:
Powerstrip:
Temperature controller:
Heater:
Pump just for water changes, should have done this years ago:

Notable dates:
Water added 2/26/21
tank 4.jpg

First fish 3/30/21 (one orange and one black storm clowns)
Tank 5.jpg

The ugly stage
Tank 6.jpg

The tank is finally settling in 6/20/21
tank1.jpg

Have a major amphipod problem. Had to move all zoas back to frag rack to let them recover
tank 2.jpg

The 4 chambers in the back, note the cooling fans work well and allow me to keep the hood on
Tank 7.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, I can see you are really going first class! The only thing I have doubts about is a UV sterilizer that small. I just responded to a thread where someone and I kicked around whether the small IM UVs we each have in our AIOs are anything more than a useless toy. But I can see that your tank is destined for greatness! :)

OP
OP
Indeva

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the confidence! The UV sterilizer is small, but helped me through the early algae bloom. I'll look to upgrade it when the bulb goes out in a few months.

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents, the InTank media and refugium chambers are garbage. If you want both, it won't work out. The refugium chamber is too open and when you go to change media in the other chamber, it all goes down hill quickly.

The media chamber has some benefit, but it's a constant struggle between the extra space and open ends of the refugium chamber and removing and reinserting the media chamber and the refugium side caving in. I had a huge Chaeto issue as a result. It went everywhere and then died off. Note, I am also using Marine Pure 2" Cubes. In theory, those should be more stable than rubble since they stack up. Not the case, so I imagine it is worse with true refugium rubble.

I have the Biocube 32 now and had a 29 in the past. For the 29, just a refugium with rubble, chaeto and a light was perfect. I own both InTank items and debating on going back the 29 setup as a result or switching to the original biocube media chamber setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indeva

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the two plastic sides from the factory media tray and glued them to the sides of the open fuge chamber. It does a nice job of keeping the chaeto in place above the marine pure cubes. I agree, its a little tight getting the media basket in and out.

OP
OP
Indeva

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those little USB fans do a great job at cooling, especially when I leave the food door open. The fans have 3 power settings so you can either slowly or quickly drop the temps using the inkbird controller. Here in Phoenix, when it was 118 outside the ac can't keep up inside, but the tank never rose above 77.

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those little USB fans do a great job at cooling, especially when I leave the food door open. The fans have 3 power settings so you can either slowly or quickly drop the temps using the inkbird controller. Here in Phoenix, when it was 118 outside the ac can't keep up inside, but the tank never rose above 77.
Awesome! Dumb question, the fans do come with the led kit? I do like the idea of the sleek look of the lid. My eyes wander though to those Kessil lights and that shimmer. LOL

Here in Reno, very dry and we’ve been seeing some triple digits. House keeps around 75.

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents, the InTank media and refugium chambers are garbage. If you want both, it won't work out. The refugium chamber is too open and when you go to change media in the other chamber, it all goes down hill quickly.

The media chamber has some benefit, but it's a constant struggle between the extra space and open ends of the refugium chamber and removing and reinserting the media chamber and the refugium side caving in. I had a huge Chaeto issue as a result. It went everywhere and then died off. Note, I am also using Marine Pure 2" Cubes. In theory, those should be more stable than rubble since they stack up. Not the case, so I imagine it is worse with true refugium rubble.

I have the Biocube 32 now and had a 29 in the past. For the 29, just a refugium with rubble, chaeto and a light was perfect. I own both InTank items and debating on going back the 29 setup as a result or switching to the original biocube media chamber setup.
My sentiments. My Chaeto melted from clean water before I could get it going but the bit I had didn't stay in the open chamber. It gummed up the sponge between 2 and 3. Going to try the hack he talks about.

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fans on mine as well. Not quite Phoenix 118, but the humidity makes it feel hotter. I kept a piece from my hood cutting and put it on a small pivot screw in the front so that I can open the front, pivot and it stays open just a crack, not enough for my Wrasses to think about jumping.

OP
OP
Indeva

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sentiments. My Chaeto melted from clean water before I could get it going but the bit I had didn't stay in the open chamber. It gummed up the sponge between 2 and 3. Going to try the hack he talks about.
If you look closely at the photo above of the chambers, you'll see the black perforated sides from the biocube factory tray on the side of fuge tray. Note the tabs from the factory tray will need to go inside the InTank fuge. Its a snug fit, only need a little glue to keep them mounted to the sides.

OP
OP
Indeva

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Dumb question, the fans do come with the led kit? I do like the idea of the sleek look of the lid. My eyes wander though to those Kessil lights and that shimmer. LOL

Here in Reno, very dry and we’ve been seeing some triple digits. House keeps around 75.
The Steve's LEDs do have a constant built in fan that cools the LED lights from within the aluminum housing, while the USB fans cools the water when the inkbird controller kicks them on. The USB fans and inkbird were purchased separately from the Steve's kit.

wrz0170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Steve's LEDs do have a constant built in fan that cools the LED lights from within the aluminum housing, while the USB fans cools the water when the inkbird controller kicks them on. The USB fans and inkbird were purchased separately from the Steve's kit.
Gotcha! It looks like from the pics you had to modify the lid to install the usb fans. Hopefully an easy task!

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! It looks like from the pics you had to modify the lid to install the usb fans. Hopefully an easy task!
With Steve LED's you have to modify the lid no matter what. That's the only reason I didn't get them is it is more of a DIY mod kit than an out the box kit.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been tempted to order the Steve's upgrade for my tank, really want to keep the lid on . The stock light works okay..but would like more control
I'd say get them! I have had mine on for a few weeks now, and LOVE them!! totally able to control all of it. You can add storms and clouds, lightning effects all of that. I posted a manual for how to set them up, and if I can do it, ANYONE can...seriously! if you have a bio cube, it's totally worth it to upgrade to them!!

OP
OP
Indeva

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some updates for you all after receiving a shipment from AquaSD which is awesome by the way.
Tank 11.jpg

Pink with green tips Hammer:
Tank 12.jpg

UFO scoly. I moved it to a lower flow area since it wasn't happy in front.
Tank 13.jpg

Back