OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are high enough they can. I wouldn't introduce a fish from a low nitrate environment to a high nitrate environment and not expect something. If it's in the 10-20 range, you're probably safe. Fish can tolerate high nitrates, especially if they rise in a tank over a longer period of time. Some people can test in the 100+ range and things look and act fine in the tank.

If you ever need to cycle a tank again, check out Dr Tim's One and Only. Its a great bacteria product. Used it to cycle my 220g when I set it up. I dosed enough for 280g and had the cycle done in 6 days. It will definately be more expensive then the bio-spira, but I liked it as a product better.
I used it as well as biospira. it is a bit more expensive . I used everything I had in the fridge

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never went above 3-4 ppm for ammonia. I don’t believe it’s stalled if ammonia is dropping daily. I test everyday around same time .
Ok just makes sure to stop dosing ammonia and wait for the nitrites to hit zero.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both Dr. Tim's One and Only as well as BIO Spira. BIO SPIRA seemed to work a lot better / faster, and Dr. Tim's barely made any difference.

I used very controlled ammonia dosing with dead rock / dry sand.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both Dr. Tim's One and Only as well as BIO Spira. BIO SPIRA seemed to work a lot better / faster, and Dr. Tim's barely made any difference.

I used very controlled ammonia dosing with dead rock / dry sand.
I am using controlled ammonia dosing as wel with a calculator and ml dropper

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just makes sure to stop dosing ammonia and wait for the nitrites to hit zero.
Unfortunately I dosed already today but after today I will stop . Let it hit zero. Then water change . I am only dosing 3 ML of ammonia which comes to about 1.5 ppm . I lightened my dosage amounts within past couple of days .

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't go over 2ppm ammonia, you're fine. Usually I find it best to dose 2ppm, let it drop below 1.0ppm and then dosing to 2ppm again. Eventually you'll be going from 2ppm to 0ppm in less than 12 hours, and you'll know you're good to go. Big 'ol water change to get rid of the nitrates and load it up with animals!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it, but not as directed. Tiny tank so I add a small dose every couple days, similar to dosing Microbacter7. I soft cycle and do water change at least once a week. To enhance the biological filter I use foam and charcoal seeded from the existing system. I do not see a cycle with this method and I have been using this method since 2005. Water added on Oct 17th, image from Nov 16th.
imnov16.jpg

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they work because I’ve used them multiple times , but I’m at the point where ammonia is dropping to 0 ppm in a day but nitrites aren’t. I just wonder how people cycle tanks in 5 days with it

Nitrite concentrations above 5 ppm can inhibit the consumption of Nitrite. Test your nitrite and if its above or close to 5 ppm, you will want to do a water change it to bring it below 5 ppm nitrite. This information is usually not found on the bottle but on Dr.Tim's website, he has it listed under trouble shooting for the bacteria bottle. I've done it myself where if nitrites are near or around 5 ppm, the cycle slows greatly or completely stops.

Generally, I can cycle a tank in 2 days pretty easily if you keep the initial concentration of ammonia lower.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what’s going on but all of a sudden the water is cloudy with a brown tint. The nitrites have dropped to 0-.25ppm. I changed the filter sock because the other one was getting brown . Not sure if it’s just diatoms but changing the Sock wouldn’t hurt

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up six tanks and all six cycles with Bio Spira and all cycled right away. Two were 125 gallons and added over four fish right after adding Bio Spira. Never failed. This product really works.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't go over 2ppm ammonia, you're fine. Usually I find it best to dose 2ppm, let it drop below 1.0ppm and then dosing to 2ppm again. Eventually you'll be going from 2ppm to 0ppm in less than 12 hours, and you'll know you're good to go. Big 'ol water change to get rid of the nitrates and load it up with animals!
I’m at the point where ammonia is dropping in 12 hours but nitrite is taking 2 or so days . I didn’t dose ammonia the past 2 days to be sure cycle wasn’t stalled and nitrites came down to 0-0.25ppm but I just dosed 3ml ammonia again to see if I can get nitrite to drop by tm afternoon. Also overnighted 2 more large bottles of biospira off drsfostersmith!!!!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not even knew at the cycling tanks and the cycle can still be a confusing thing to deal with

Yup! As we know more about cycling, we can control it more for optimization. 10 years ago, we just waited months until something happened. Now you can precisely control it, which is why precision and optimization is complicated.

Also, when I said 0 ammonia in 12 hours, I guess I misspoke and meant both Ammonia and Nitrites going to 0 within 12. You're getting close. Your nitrites will go down fast soon enough. Don't let your tank sit at 0 ammonia for more than a day, so just dose a teeny tiny amount until your nitrites hit 0.5ppm. Then try 2ppm ammonia and see how fast they both fall to 0. Then continue until both can hit 0 within 12 hours. Most people call it good when it can happen within 24 hours, but in my experience getting within 12 doesn't take more than a day or two longer and can make for an even more stable start.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! As we know more about cycling, we can control it more for optimization. 10 years ago, we just waited months until something happened. Now you can precisely control it, which is why precision and optimization is complicated.

Also, when I said 0 ammonia in 12 hours, I guess I misspoke and meant both Ammonia and Nitrites going to 0 within 12. You're getting close. Your nitrites will go down fast soon enough. Don't let your tank sit at 0 ammonia for more than a day, so just dose a teeny tiny amount until your nitrites hit 0.5ppm. Then try 2ppm ammonia and see how fast they both fall to 0. Then continue until both can hit 0 within 12 hours. Most people call it good when it can happen within 24 hours, but in my experience getting within 12 doesn't take more than a day or two longer and can make for an even more stable start.
thought I was close , dosed 2 ppm ammonia last night and checked this morning before work and the nitrites were higher again. They’re not dropping in 12 hours . I might dose another bottle of biospira.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia has no issue dropping in 12 hours but I measured nitrites 12 hours later and not even close . I checked nitrates the other day too and 80ppm!!! Def will need a water change

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning a tank move due to a house sale over a decade ago... someone mentioned this stuff to me. I dismissed it to at first, but then started to research it a bit, and found that a lot of folks had great results with it.

I purchased the stuff with the intent of an orderly transition from our temporary housing (condo) to the new house. That didn't happen because the ****** landlord shut off the electricity one day after we took out our main belongings (a few things remained, including the still operating reef tank).

Fortunately, I had the new tank set up (just salt water and nothing else) and the temp at the condo hadn't got too cold yet.

So, that cold early February night I rushed through the process of bringing over to the new tank. I added the BioSpira and literally just put everything in... rock, fish Corals. Floated them and nothing else. No cycle time for the tank.

The results were pleasing... 100% survival of fish and coral, including LPS and SPS. The advantage was that I added livestock with no wait for a cycle.... and in this case any wait would have been fatal.

I will add that this was in February 2005... have not used the product since. Also, just for the record, tank has remained up and running since then, and at least 3 of those fish are still with me.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a question for ya, sooo let’s say last night at 6 pm I dosed 3ml of ammonia which came out to 2ppm after testing . This morning when measuring ammonia is gone but nitrites were in between 1-5ppm . After work I just checked and there still 1-5 ppm. When should I dose ammonia again? If I continue to dose ammonia it will continuously build up nitrites .

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back