Biocube AIO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BioCube 29g (no sump)
I am very interested in running a Triton method. I would like to minimize water changes and have a healthy system.
It is a new setup... I currently have the system with the Intank media and Refuge baskets with Chaeto growing.
I want to change my rear chambers to work on a Triton method. I have done some calcs and my center chamber is about 1.75g... So that leaves me under 10 percent. The display section holds about 19g.
I also would need to run my skimmer in the chamber before the fuge or directly in the fuge chamber. Not sure if that would work.
If anyone can help me out with basic advice if this is worth trying to get into or not. Also, i cant find a thread of an AIO without adding sump for Triton, so any examples of someone doing this would be great.

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be able to minimize water changes with your approach, but not entirely eliminate them. Use Core7 Reef Supplements to dose your macro elements. The skimmer should not be run in the same chamber as the refugium.

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be able to minimize water changes with your approach, but not entirely eliminate them. Use Core7 Reef Supplements to dose your macro elements. The skimmer should not be run in the same chamber as the refugium.
Thank you for feedback... My only other and best option would be a skimmer just before the refugium chamber. Hopefully that will work?
I already changed over to larger refugium and removed the filter stuff. I added marine pure balls and chaeto and have a kessil H80 light upgrade coming for the center section. Doing allot of reading and hoping for the best

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kessil H80 has a very wide reflector, the refugium section is relatively deep for it's footprint no?

Skimmer in front of a refugium is fine.

I don't think you need any more biomedia than the liverock and sand in the display. If your goal is to reduce waterchanges, you may be dissapointed to find out you need to perform more waterchanges as aluminum leeches from many ceramic biomedia materials.

OP
OP
The River

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kessil H80 has a very wide reflector, the refugium section is relatively deep for it's footprint no?

Skimmer in front of a refugium is fine.

I don't think you need any more biomedia than the liverock and sand in the display. If your goal is to reduce waterchanges, you may be dissapointed to find out you need to perform more waterchanges as aluminum leeches from many ceramic biomedia materials.
Thank you for tge feedback. I did not know about the leeching... They are marinepure balls, similar to the large blocks people place in their sumps. But ill look into that.
The kessil was going to be placed facing the back of the tank. Not top down. My tank has glass back to allow refugium lights through. So the light will be facing the tank if that makes sense

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano skimmers don't work well. If you want go with a chemical skimmer like Purigen and save room.

Also, give your tank time to age, about 6 months to mature before going with Triton, also understand that you will still need to perform water changes from time to time. If have a 32 biocube and change water every other week. Just a 5 gallon bucket and done. If you use triton early, the system is continuing to change and you will find yourself chasing parameters and having to continue testing for the changes and then how to dose and that will keep changing until the tank matures. So let it mature and then decide on Triton.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thing to look at is getting a algae scrubber I have the .6 from Santa Monica in the first chamber with my skinner and heater then second chamber with a water drip tray then poly filter then bioballs and in the last chamber I have a thicker sponge next to the pump and it does a great job

Tim2@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flexin, his goal is to run Triton Method, or as close to it as he can, using Purigen in lace of a skimmer is not going to help him achieve that.

Surfermac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hydor slim skim nano in the first chamber and the in tank basket and fuge with chateo in the second chamber. I like the set up but the slim skim fits tight and needed a little mod of the tank rim to make it fit.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 29. Don’t know if this would be option for you but I run my heater and gfo in the first slot, filter floss, carbon and cheato fuge with LED light in the middle and HOB aqua max skimmer and return pump on the third space.

gencarson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in on this thread. I have a Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40g All-in-one. It has 5 rear chambers with one of them being the return. I was thinking about running a fuge in one with a ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED. Would this be appropriate to utilize the Triton Method? The tank is about 11 months old, and doing great. Live Rock, SPS, LPS, Shrooms, and misc. Inverts and a few fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back