Biocube refugium help

Hickscg83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i want to add refugium a to my Biocube 32. I could add it to chamber 1 where I have a heater. In chamber 2 i have a media basket and a protein skimmer so thats a no go. I could put it in chamber 3 with the return pump. Or I could do a HOB refugium. anyone with a fuge in their cube wanna reach out. Thank you in advance for any input.

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i want to add refugium a to my Biocube 32. I could add it to chamber 1 where I have a heater. In chamber 2 i have a media basket and a protein skimmer so thats a no go. I could put it in chamber 3 with the return pump. Or I could do a HOB refugium. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on where I should place a refugium. Thank you in advance for any input.
Personally, I'd go with a dedicated HOB refugium. Ease of maintenance.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that too but with the limited space its hard to find something that will fit unless I put a HOB on one of the sides
Or, upgrade to a larger tank... ;)

wince718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you run a sump underneath? I am wanting to have a refugium as well but do not wanting it hanging off the back.

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a algae scrubber refugium in the second section of my BioCube. Heater and protein skimmer were in the first chamber. HOB refugium would work well, but it's kind of clunky getting something to hang on a BioCube. I would avoid the third chamber cuz you don't want a bunch of stuff getting stuck in your return pump. I think a ball of chaeto refugium would work if the first chamber if you peel back the paint behind the first chamber, put a light back there, and jam a plastic screen to keep the chaeto low and avoid it floating into the second chamber

IMG_20190823_194058_01.jpg

IMG_20200103_150458375.jpg

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i want to add refugium a to my Biocube 32. I could add it to chamber 1 where I have a heater. In chamber 2 i have a media basket and a protein skimmer so thats a no go. I could put it in chamber 3 with the return pump. Or I could do a HOB refugium. anyone with a fuge in their cube wanna reach out. Thank you in advance for any input.
Have you looked into Intank?
I have a 32 biocube too, I replaced the crappy media basket that came with the tank with the intank media basket. they have a refugium basket as well that sits right next to the media basket. will your protein skimmer fit in chamber 1?

here is a link to intank https://intankaquatics.com/biocube-32/

I would get on YouTube and search intank as well, you might be able to solve your problem without going the HOB route.

Last edited:

Jphoadley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into Intank?
I have a 32 biocube too, I replaced the crappy media basket that came with the tank with the intank media basket. they have a refugium basket as well that sits right next to the media basket. will your protein skimmer fit in chamber 1?

here is a link to intank https://intankaquatics.com/biocube-32/

I would get on YouTube and search intank as well, you might be able to solve your problem without going the HOB route.
This is exactly what I did - the dual Intanks are a perfect fit, plenty of room ofr my chemicals and lots of chaeto. I use the coralife skimmer in chamber 1, however OP may have a Tunze 9001 skimmer and I don't think those fit in 1st chamber if you keep the hood.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that worked for you! I still have my led hood so, the coralife it is........

Back