Biosecurity

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our aquarium animals are wholly dependent on the care we give them for their continued good health. Proper environmental care is of course paramount; good water quality, excellent diet, proper aquarium size, compatible inhabitants, etc. Obviously, controlling disease is also a major factor. Beyond curing active diseases, limiting their spread to other animals is also vitally important. This means implementing proper biosecurity with your aquariums.
For ecological systems; such as agriculture and the environment, biosecurity often is used to describe the methods employed to limit the introduction of exotic organisms that might damage existing natural or human-managed systems. For example; inspecting produce at the point of importation in order to reduce the risk of alien plant pest species entering a new environment.
For aquarists, biosecurity is a general term that identifies steps to be taken in order to limit the entry of unwanted disease organisms into aquarium systems. Quarantine protocols are the most important steps that can be taken in this regard. However, disease organisms will try as they can to survive and spread. Incautious aquarists can unwittingly spread disease even while they are following good quarantine protocols.

The basic biosecurity process is to first determine what disease organisms need to be controlled. This is a cost/benefit issue. If your destination system already has a pathogen in it, there is no point in screening fish for that species. For example, many bacteria are ubiquitous, so treating new fish prophylactically for these isn’t worthwhile. The next step in the process is to determine what methods will be employed to keep the transfer of disease organisms from taking place. Finally, you need to have a plan in place to further limit the spread of pathogens should the processes fail.

Transfer by fish is perhaps the most common means of creating a biosecurity problem. A fish harboring a disease, moved into a system with healthy fish often brings on active disease in those fish. Quarantine is designed to limit, (but won’t eliminate) this issue.

Fomites are objects that have the potential to harbor and transfer an infective agent from one location to another. Tank tools moved from a tank with an active disease infection to another tank are a frequently seen example of this. The risk is proportional to the amount of water transferred, as well as the type of infection involved. For example, Neobenedenia fluke eggs have sticky tendrils that easily get caught in fishnet material. Live bearing flukes on the other hand would rarely, if ever, be transferred on a tank tool. Mitigation for this issue includes using dedicated tank tools for each aquarium, or careful cleaning and sterilization of any potential fomite. Invertebrates such as corals and cleanup crew animals can also act as fomites for fish diseases, as well as being a means where diseases or pests of those animals themselves can be moved.

Aerosolization is a more or less theoretical mode of biosecurity failure where a disease propagule is entrapped in a tiny water droplet that moves into the air above an aquarium, drifts in air currents, and then settles in a new aquarium. Due to the small size of these droplets, it would be presumed that mostly bacterial or viral diseases could be transmitted in this fashion. Tank covers and tank separation would be two means to limit this mode of transmission. It has been reported in the literature (citation unavailable) that Amyloodinium spores can travel 12 feet inside aerosolized droplets of water and Aeromonas bacteria can travel over 20 feet. However, propagule pressure also plays into this – it can take a number of pathogens entering a system to actually cause an infection. In most instances, separating aquariums by about six feet, and never stacking aquariums (with potential disease issues above) removes most of this risk.

Food biosecurity is also a concern. Feeding live fish to other fish is a very poor idea in terms of biosecurity, and one that has a proven history for causing disease introduction problems. Live invertebrates used as food have also been suspected of harboring and transferring fish diseases. While freezing kills many pathogens, Mycobacterium bacteria can be isolated from frozen seafood items.

Clean Up Crew organisms are a frequent source of biosecurity failures. Live invertebrates can of course act as fomites for some fish diseases. A process known as “depuration” can alleviate some of these issues. Depuration is the process by which marine or freshwater animals (or even plants) are placed into a clean water environment for a period of time to allow purging of biological contaminants and physical impurities. They then can be more safely moved into a system with other animals. This process can range from putting some snails in a bucket for fresh seawater for an hour or so before adding them to a tank all the way to holding the invertebrates in a separate system for 45 days.

Corals are a special case. Not only can they act as fomites for fish diseases, they can also carry coral pests and coral diseases into the new tank as well. Many people utilize various proprietary dips when moving corals. Dip treatments are rarely 100% effective, so while better than no treatment at all, should only be considered as a stop-gap measure. For better control of tough organisms (Aiptasia anemones, Montipora nudibranchs, etc.) it is more effective to house new corals in an isolation system to allow any pests to make an appearance. The length of time needed for this varies, but should be at least 30 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - it is very important to separate the words pathogen and disease - likewise the words carry and have. They are not synonyms to each other. A pathogen is an organisms that can cause a disease. An organism that have a disease do not - IMO - carrying a disease (a disease is an individual physical abnormal situation) - it carry a special pathogen that can (but many times not in a obligate way) cause a disease in another organism. It can be seen as intelektual somersault to distinguish between the words pathogen - disease and carry - have but IMO it is important, An organism can carry a pathogen (can be a vector) without having a disease and an individual organism can get a pathogen without developing a disease

An example - the american crayfish Pacifastacus leniusculus can carry the pathogen Aphanomyces astaci but no disease will normally break out - neither in the host or crayfish of the same species with which it lives together with - however if our European river crayfish (Astacus astacus) get this parasitic fungus - it will end up in a disease. The two species can´t live together - we know that in Sweden today.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - it is very important to separate the words pathogen and disease - likewise the words carry and have. They are not synonyms to each other. A pathogen is an organisms that can cause a disease. An organism that have a disease do not - IMO - carrying a disease (a disease is an individual physical abnormal situation) - it carry a special pathogen that can (but many times not in a obligate way) cause a disease in another organism. It can be seen as intelektual somersault to distinguish between the words pathogen - disease and carry - have but IMO it is important, An organism can carry a pathogen (can be a vector) without having a disease and an individual organism can get a pathogen without developing a disease

An example - the american crayfish Pacifastacus leniusculus can carry the pathogen Aphanomyces astaci but no disease will normally break out - neither in the host or crayfish of the same species with which it lives together with - however if our European river crayfish (Astacus astacus) get this parasitic fungus - it will end up in a disease. The two species can´t live together - we know that in Sweden today.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse,

But you cannot always determine when a pathogen may cause disease to be expressed. The one thing that is known is that without the pathogen, there can be no disease.

Jay

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing that is known is that without the pathogen, there can be no disease
Life and ecosystems is more complicated than that statement. You can´t work along that theory in the long run - I thought that was rather clear after this pandemic and all close downs. Lucky us that there was vaccines developed in 1 year instead for the normal 10 years. You can´t kill off the pathogens or isolate them away - they will find their way.

The way we have succeeded to eradicate the responsible pathogen for some diseases have been by vaccination. With other word - stimulating and using our own defense system - our immune system. In other cases - when we only have the QT thing to use - it have give us million of deaths before herd immunity has been established. Antibiotics was a success and still are saving life (have done it with me a couple of times) but - we use it against diseases that is not life-threatening and the pathogens responds by developing resistant strains.

Another example - I have get Ileus so many times that I can´t count them. The danger with this is that the intestine can burst and all the facultative anaerobic pathogens in my intestine comes out and cause sepsis - a blood disease. No one has ever suggest that I should try to kill of all of these facultative pathogens in my intestine because if there is no pathogens present - there will be no disease if the intestine burst (as a prophylactic treatment). Instead it has been surgery sometimes and treatment if they come outside the intestine.

Do not misunderstand me - I am not against observation QT (and the law in Sweden only allow that type of QT) But QT water living organisms with gills is not the same as QT land living animals there you physical can remove all waste products. You know what I´m against according QT - there is other way of securing biosecurity than using drugs and medicines for humans on fish.

I leave it with this comment and let other comes with their thoughts

Sincerely Lasse

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life and ecosystems is more complicated than that statement. You can´t work along that theory in the long run - I thought that was rather clear after this pandemic and all close downs. Lucky us that there was vaccines developed in 1 year instead for the normal 10 years. You can´t kill off the pathogens or isolate them away - they will find their way.

The way we have succeeded to eradicate the responsible pathogen for some diseases have been by vaccination. With other word - stimulating and using our own defense system - our immune system. In other cases - when we only have the QT thing to use - it have give us million of deaths before herd immunity has been established. Antibiotics was a success and still are saving life (have done it with me a couple of times) but - we use it against diseases that is not life-threatening and the pathogens responds by developing resistant strains.

Another example - I have get Ileus so many times that I can´t count them. The danger with this is that the intestine can burst and all the facultative anaerobic pathogens in my intestine comes out and cause sepsis - a blood disease. No one has ever suggest that I should try to kill of all of these facultative pathogens in my intestine because if there is no pathogens present - there will be no disease if the intestine burst (as a prophylactic treatment). Instead it has been surgery sometimes and treatment if they come outside the intestine.

Do not misunderstand me - I am not against observation QT (and the law in Sweden only allow that type of QT) But QT water living organisms with gills is not the same as QT land living animals there you physical can remove all waste products. You know what I´m against according QT - there is other way of securing biosecurity than using drugs and medicines for humans on fish.

I leave it with this comment and let other comes with their thoughts

Sincerely Lasse

I might be wrong, but Hobbyists aquariums are not nearly as vast as the ocean and without the amount of checks and balances. For example. In the ocean, ich can affect a fish, but after the white spots fall of, a fish can easily swim away from theronts. In and enclosed system, the number of parasites is far more, and causing a larger strain on the fish’s immune system. One power outage or parameter swing is enough to stress a fish enough to form a ****show. There are also millions of species of micro fauna that could keep parasites in check, however it is rare to have that many in an artificial system. There is also consumer locations. Living in the US means that diseased fish are easily sold, and regulations are lax, which is why we see way more need to actively dose medication. I do agree that some medications are harsh in a fish and can lead to decreased lifespan, but it really comes down to a trade off. Decreased lifespan or take the chance that your system can handle velvet or brook, and be sure that stressor event won’t happen. For some more common diseases like ich, and flukes, TTM method is not harsh in the fish other than being moved from tank to tank. Also a lot of us do think of our fish as pets, each having their own little personality. I personally would never risk introducing a fish that has been in a system with disease, and that could be carrying it.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still fairly new to the hobby but have learned what to look for in the way of fish diseases. I haven’t found an lfs that has perfect fish and corals. Everywhere I go there is always something in the system I can spot that I don’t like. I have just come to the assumption that everything I buy has disease and that I need to make sure I do what I can to not introduce it to my tank. I would love to have a system that i Could throw whatever in and never have to worry about an outbreak. I just went through a bout with ick and lost miserably leaving the fish in the tank and trying to let the fish develop immunity to it. So many gave that advice and I wish I wouldn’t have listened to it. Watching some of my favorite fish die Isn’t something I will do again. Maybe 10 tear tanks can handle disease better but I have to get there first. If everything dies along the way i wont make it that far in the hobby. For me it is learning to quarantine properly and not trusting someone else to do it for me. I will do what I can to keep it out of my system and not infect everyone.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice write up Jay, both you and Lasse have valid points, as I read more on this forum I am being much more cautious of what I do, I would love to find out from both of you, your stand points on how to properly setup these quarantine systems to better be ready for my new system and not make the same mistakes twice, any other information would be excellent, perhaps the two of you can collaborate to find the best solution, just a thought. Thanks again for the article, love it!

czynot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel coral qt is extremely hard. Coral need a cycled tank with active filter and bacteria going at all times. Pretty much a full running DT. How many of Reefer can juggle 2 DT in a house? Not many.
Risking a 300.00-1000.00 frag in a un-cycled tank will surely kill the expensive frag.
Fish on other hand just need simple setup to qt.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel coral qt is extremely hard. Coral need a cycled tank with active filter and bacteria going at all times. Pretty much a full running DT. How many of Reefer can juggle 2 DT in a house? Not many.
Risking a 300.00-1000.00 frag in a un-cycled tank will surely kill the expensive frag.
Fish on other hand just need simple setup to qt.
I agree - it is all just balancing risk. If you buy a $1000 frag, that sets the risk level. If you are adding that frag to a tank with $20k in coral in it, the risk changes. Eventually though, you reach a point where a $800 frag tank becomes cost effective.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back