BJBass BC14 LED Build Thread

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided I would start my build thread. I am still waiting for my kit to come in, but here is what I have so far.

Before getting started
DSCF0313.jpg

Removed back reflector
DSCF0320.jpg

A couple of shots of the original wiring
DSCF0321.jpg

I can't remember or tell from this picture. Is the spot on the breadboard on the bottom left there not used?
DSCF0322.jpg

DSCF0323.jpg

DSCF0332.jpg

Bulbs removed
DSCF0334.jpg

DSCF0335.jpg

Gutted as far as I need to go for this build
DSCF0359.jpg

DSCF0362.jpg

Nanotuners heatsink installed. Notice I replaced the stock fans with Evercool 50mm fans for better flow.
DSCF0365.jpg

Plastic cover placed on to see fit.
DSCF0367.jpg

This heatsink can be installed two ways. I installed mine the way the instructions on nanotuners.com have it with the wider part (from screw holes to edge) is in the back. You can see in that picture though that the plastic splashguard is super close to the heatsink and I think it may actually be touching. Will this potentially melt? Should I switch the heatsink around 180 degrees?

You can actually see this even better in the first heatsink picture without the splashguard that it is almost resting on the black plastic.

OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the 50mm fans I bought. Evercool 50mm

You face one out and one in. The label on the fan indicates that it is the direction that the fan is blowing. Here is a picture of my extra Silenx 60mm fans installed.

One shooting across the bottom of the heatsink towards the exhaust fan. One pulling air from the intake and directing it towards the exhaust. I used silicone to attach them to the hood to maintain the stock look without modification.

DSCF0379.jpg

With splash guard installed.
DSCF0380.jpg

Here is a link to the Silenx 60mm fans I purchased.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my LED DIY Build!

Here is the final product.

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

Whites only
DSCF0037.jpg

Blues only
DSCF0036.jpg

Combined
DSCF0035.jpg

Hood lifted
DSCF0034.jpg

In stand dimmers
DSCF0032.jpg

A shot before I put the hood back on
DSCF0031.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is what went into it.

Here are the two power cords for the blue and white
DSCF0002.jpg

Here is my DIY mount for my stock moon lights. I am going to re-do it though. I made it out of an old zip disc case. I did this so that it is adjustable and I can get the right angle or change it if I want to.
DSCF0004.jpg

The fan DC jack
DSCF0007.jpg

I used a piece of tubing and cut it in half so that the fan adapter would fit in the hood grommets and fill it completely so that splashing and condensation wouldn't get into the splash guard. I think covered it with heat shrink.
DSCF0008.jpg

An early picture of my project box before wiring.
DSCF0010.jpg

Power cords wired to the LED driver.
DSCF0012.jpg

Wiring of the project box. I added length to the positive and negative power wires as they were short.
DSCF0015.jpg

Project box put together with the potentiometers mounted
DSCF0016.jpg

Knobs added on for a clean look
DSCF0018.jpg

My power cords with jack adapters installed
DSCF0019.jpg

Heat sink wired with quick connections to connect to stock rocker switches
DSCF0021.jpg

Finished heatsink installed
DSCF0022.jpg

My LEDs were blinking because I didn't get a good connection with the pots so I wired them with connectors for a better connection. I also soldered on extensions for the 4 pot connections from the driver. The wire for those from the driver is very thin and junky. I would say that is my only complaint with them.
DSCF0023.jpg

Here is a picture of the vinyl tubing I used to keep the wiring protected and to seal the grommets so that condensation and splashing will not enter the splash guard.
DSCF0028.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the blue and white jacked all the way up. You can see just how bright and awesome these LEDs are. I would highly recommend them!!

My whole basement lights up.

DSCF0045.jpg

Last edited:

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the silent x fans? You still have stock acrylic cover? If so, the heat would be minimal if you ditched the stock fans and just put the silent x fans in their place. You will have to use longer screws but they are truely silent. Nice build. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the silent x fans? You still have stock acrylic cover? If so, the heat would be minimal if you ditched the stock fans and just put the silent x fans in their place. You will have to use longer screws but they are truely silent. Nice build. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, they are Silenx fans and I still have the stock acrylic cover. Those fans I have there are actually not stock. I replace the stock fans with Evercool fans. I think the Silenx fans are probably overkill, but it runs nice and cool.

OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished my stock BC14 moonlight LED project. I re-did what you saw earlier with the zip disc case.

I cut the case to the size I wanted, drilled holes for the stock LEDs, and siliconed it to the hood. I also used the screws from the old stock fans in the hood and added nuts to them to hold them on. I added some silicone to the joints of the case so that I can adjust the LEDs to get the angle of my choosing and change it if I choose to. I like the flexibility.

Here is a little blurry pic of the moonlight on only.
DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

Here it is mounted in the hood. I have it adjusted up at a higher angle
DSCF0051.jpg

I used a Dremel tool cutting bit to cut this thing and I sanded it. You can see here I chopped off the corner to get it to fit
DSCF0050.jpg

You can see here how I soldered extra wire onto the stock LED on the left. It didn't have enough slack the way it was to allow for adjustment.
DSCF0046.jpg

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job! All you DIYers make it seem so easy! Hate you guys lol.

OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts List/Prices Added
1 14 LED Dimmable LED Kit (Custom kit without heatsink) - 7 Cool White LEDs, 7 Royal Blue LEDs - $85 shipped - http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aquarium-14-
LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html
This kit inludes two constant current dimmable LED drivers (100V-240V), LED optics (didn't use), 2 potentiometers, 2 power cords, 2 tubes heatsink plaster (not
used), 2 power cord

1 Nanocustoms Small Heatsink for AIOs (BC8/BC14/NC6) - $51.15 shipped (was $40 when I ordered, but now lists for $50 + shipping) - http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=631

2 SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm Case Fan - $11.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835191004

2 EVERCOOL FAN-EC5020M12CA 50mm Case Fan $5.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835119054

1 Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive - $6.99 - http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-11/Arc...Adhesive/Detail

1 12V AC Adapter to Power Fans - $10.00 - 12V AC Adapter

1 DC Jack Adapter - $3.50 - http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-69/DC-...-Adapter/Detail

3 Fan Y adapter - $3.50 - Fan Y adapter

2 Size M Panel-mount Coaxial DC Power Jack - $3.19 -http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102486&filterName=Category

1 Size M Coaxial DC Power Plug (2-Pack) - $3.19 - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...erName=Category

1 Project Enclosure (4x2x1") - $3.19 - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2062280

2 4ft Heat Shrink wire wrap strips - $1.50 - Local Electronics Store

1 Foot of Clear Vinyl Tubing - $1 - Lowe's

1 Old Zip Disk case - Free - My closet

2 Moonlight LEDs - Included - BioCube 14

Total Cost: $219.86

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Glad you didn't use the optics. You would have hated them anyway. Some advice, keep an eye on your aquamag scraper. I left mine in my tank like you did and it eventually scratched my glass. It will grow stuff on the scraper and scrape the glass. I use an old credit card now. It works perfectly. If I want it even cleaner I will use a dry scrub pad.

OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Glad you didn't use the optics. You would have hated them anyway. Some advice, keep an eye on your aquamag scraper. I left mine in my tank like you did and it eventually scratched my glass. It will grow stuff on the scraper and scrape the glass. I use an old credit card now. It works perfectly. If I want it even cleaner I will use a dry scrub pad.

Bige, thanks for the feedback and thanks for the tip on the mag float! I have always wondered if that could scrape the glass. I know that I am very careful down by the sand with it so that I don't pick any up, but I never thought about the accumulation on it from other elements.

cet98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which cool whites did you get from AquaStyle?....
did you get the standard 10000K or the optional 6500K whites?

OP
OP
bjbass

bjbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which cool whites did you get from AquaStyle?....
did you get the standard 10000K or the optional 6500K whites?

I got the standard 10,000K. I must say they are pretty nice and my corals are very happy. I know have a rose bulb tip anemone and he is very happy under this lighting.

DSC02823.jpg

Last edited:
Back