blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 4. Z-Day Part VII: Cruise Control
Happy Canada Day/Independence Day to my fellow reefers! Just a short update on my continued ReefMat operation (I've been running this now for almost 3 weeks). The removal of the bag of media from the media tray has indeed greatly decreased my daily fleece use - probably by half.

B71A8646-4A37-40D7-BA41-238ED3FF5BBD.JPG

The massive spike in the first week was the gradual clogging up of the media bag, restricting flow and prematurely causing the sensor to trigger and spool more fleece than necessary. I removed this just prior to the start of the second week - and you can see the abrupt drop in usage.

Since then daily fleece usage has stabilized somewhere between 4-6" per hour or 138-148" daily (I'm currently averaging 144.7" daily). This translates into roughly 7.5 days of filtration per roll for me, which may seem like a lot but I also have 44 fish in my tank and the sand is Oolite (notoriously bad for easily getting stirred up).

Realistically, I think a moderately-stocked tank (<20) fish with larger particle sand should easily get 2-3 weeks (or even a month) from a single roll. Obviously YMMV, but I consider a roll a week to be on the extreme end of things. Smaller and less-stocked tanks can probably get away with a single fleece roll for 1.5-2 months.

Just a side note: the minor spike in the second week was where the ReefMat "jammed" and I had to replace the roll - so there was more usage recorded from me advancing the roll.

Bonus Tip! On that note, the ReefMat actually didn't "jam" - what happened is that the end of the waste roll came off and it was spinning in-place without advancing (so the unit detected this as a "jam"). I think RedSea should look at adding little plastic bumps to the two halves of the waste roller for better grip, but the solution that I'd recommend is to take a small strip of masking tape and tape the end of the fleece roll to the waste roller so that it can't separate (as the waste roller accumulates more used fleece a lot more tension builds up).

July 4. Oxygenate!
On a whim based on a post I saw on R2R, I ordered two of these new Aerators for saltwater sumps from a company called GrowGreenie. It's a very simple way of aerating your sump or tank with any existing plumbing.

gg-aerator.png

I'm very impressed with the product so far. Each unit comes with the unit as pictured above (the end detaches if you want to shorten it or provide larger bubbles), a MPT-MPT adapter, a MPT-FTP adapter if you want to glue it, the air hose, a suction cup/clip for the air hose and a cleaning tool. How I mounted mine was with a 3/4" barb-1/2" MPT connection that I attached to the end of the 3/4" braided hose coming off my AquaUV 57-watter UV sterilizer. This normally just hung loose in the sump anyway, so now it's adding additional oxygenation when operating.

I uploaded a short video to demonstrate how much air is injected into your sump and the approximate noise level when you have the cabinet open (you can't hear it at all with the doors closed). Hopefully you can view the video without issue. There's zero spray up the sides of the sump glass, although I'll probably end up with a bit more accumulating on the underside of the Nyos skimmer.

What I really like about this product is that you can just add it to any existing pump or outlet. I already track my ORP levels 24x7, so hopefully I'll have some data in a week or so to see how much this is influencing my system.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I have the exact same tank, and just read your entire build thread. Nice set up, and looks great! Sorry for the dumb question can you add a updated stock list that you currently have? I got lost on the unfortunate velvet incident which claimed many of your fish! Did you replace them all? Do you get them from the same LFS?

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I have the exact same tank, and just read your entire build thread. Nice set up, and looks great! Sorry for the dumb question can you add a updated stock list that you currently have? I got lost on the unfortunate velvet incident which claimed many of your fish! Did you replace them all? Do you get them from the same LFS?
Yes - I'd been updating the original list back on the 2nd page, but I should probably get an update here as well. I had approximately 1/3 of the original batch of migrated fish perish (including two prized mandarins), but I've subsequently replaced all of them (and then some).

Yes, I still get all my fish from my LFS - which has been awesome. The emperor angel that had (as near as we can tell) a copper-resistant strain was in a separate quarantine system at the time with 3 other fish which were all fine.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 8. Current Livestock - Fish.
Here's the updated fish list.

• 9x Chromis ... 6 green (2.25"), 2 bicolor (1") and 1 black bar (1")
• 7x Wrasses ... 1 Quoy's parrotfish (7"), 1 melanarus (4.25"), 1 bicolor cleaner (2.25"), 1 sixline (1.75"), 1 Lubbock's fairy (2"), 1 yellow corris (2.5"), 1 blue star leopard (1.75"); the parrotfish has been quite an interesting addition!
• 4x Angelfish ... 1 midnight dwarf (3.5"), 1 coral beauty dwarf (3.25"), 1 Lamarck's female (5"), 1 emperor juvenile (3"); all get along with each other and are reef-safe with the exception of the midnight dwarf (loves acans!)
• 4x Damselfish ... 1 azure (2"), 3 blue devil (2"); *they are all fat; no issues between any of them
• 4x Anthias ... 2 Marcia's anthias (3"/2.5"), 2 lyretail anthias female (1.5"/2")
• 3x Cardinalfish ... 1 pajama (3"), 2 baggai (1.75"); these all get along.
• 2x Clownfish ... 2 mocha ocellaris male/female pair; these fish have an official kill-count of 26!!
• 2x Blennies ... 1 midas blenny (4"), 1 lawnmower blenny (2.25"); the midas blenny spontaneously changed color from yellow-orange to blue-purple!; the lawnmower blenny has gotten fat!
• 1x Grouper ... 1 marine betta (5.5"); actually extremely peaceful and shy - prefers roaming at night.
• 1x Tang ... 1 sailfin tang (4"); just an awesome fish!
• 1x Dottyback ... 1 striped (2.25"); this one burrows and sand-sifts.
• 1x Basslet ... 1 royal gramma (2"); this one actually prefers to hang-out around one of my wavemakers.
• 1x Hawkfish ... 1 flame (2.5")
• 1x Goby ... 1 Rainford's goby (1.5"); seldom seen
• 1x Dragonet ... 1 mandarin male (2"), a very stealthy fish
• 1x Rabbitfish ... 1 one spot foxface (1.5"), just a teeny guy that loves sleeping in the corky gorgonian

The original sixline I had was lost due to misadventure in the overflow (replaced with another peaceful specimen), the lubbock's fairy wrasse jumped out nearly 10 feet from the tank (replaced with a less adventurous specimen who prefers lurking amongst two pulsing xenia colonies) and we briefly had a clown tang that near as we can tell was eaten by the condy anemone (tangs are literally some of the dumbest fish in the ocean).

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 8. Pet Sharks
Here is one of the "bull sharks" in my system - a Blue Devil damselfish (don't let the name dissuade you - these are one of the most peaceful damsels I've owned). I have three (3) Blue Devils named "Huey, Louie and Dewie" and one (1) Azure named "Donald". Each damsel has found their own very unique sleeping spot (some of them are amazingly creative). They are the "sheep dogs" of my tank - keeping the other fish in their "swim lanes" (mainly the green chromis and anthias).

This snapshot is actually a few weeks old. Believe it or not, they've actually gotten even a bit wider (hence the "bull shark" reference).

bull-shark 2.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I'd been updating the original list back on the 2nd page, but I should probably get an update here as well. I had approximately 1/3 of the original batch of migrated fish perish (including two prized mandarins), but I've subsequently replaced all of them (and then some).

Yes, I still get all my fish from my LFS - which has been awesome. The emperor angel that had (as near as we can tell) a copper-resistant strain was in a separate quarantine system at the time with 3 other fish which were all fine.
Nice stock list and tank! I love seeing what other people with the same tank as me are doing with it! Great job! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 9. Food O'Clock
I feed my fish 6 times a day - not including the 4 seaweed-wrapped rocks I plunk in daily. 4 of these are automated pellet feedings that happen at specific times in specific locations in the tanks.

Today right at 6:00pm, the lights dropped to their 6pm preset and the fish immediately started schooling and zipping back and forth in the upper right side of the tank. They continued like this for about a minute until the auto-feeder kicked in and ejected the last meal of the day. Up until the auto-feeder kicked in, there was no noise, movement or other visual cue that nibblies were forthcoming.

This is the first time I'd actually been sitting there watching them precisely at a time where the feeders kick-in. So my fish have apparently learned:

* Which light levels or time indicates a feeding
* Which specific feeder disperses pellets at a specific light setting or time

I feed them frozen usually around 10:30am and 4:30pm, and they get a little "splashy" if they see me sitting at the computer ignoring them for more than a few minutes - so they've generally figured out what my presence means when I pickup the feeder tube.

When I don't have a container of fish food in-hand, they usually cluster at the front of the tank and offer up their best "feed me" impression - as if to point out that I'm forgetting something...

Ah, saltwater fish... so darned smart!

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 13. Mini Me
I've been neglecting my build update in lieu of tackling some long overdue yard work. April and May were kind of a bust in terms of weather (windy, rainy, cloudy) and the sun has finally been out, so...

While picking up corals and feeding the fish I finally spotted the elusive 5th member of my cucumber family that I haven't seen in ages: Mini Me. Mini Me is a pint-size (~1") black sea cucumber that started out roughly twice the size - but for whatever reason has shrunk in size over the past 6 months. Not sure if he was off exploring and starved of nutrients for a while, but I felt bad for him and moved him to a nutrient-rich area in the front of the tank.

Mini Me is part of my dysfunctional sea cucumber family, which includes: Turdeau, No. 2 (10-12"), Dr. Evil, Fat B*stard (4-5") and Absolem (2") - the pink and green sea cucumber that never really moves - although is incredibly entertaining to watch eat.

BB98A77E-2183-43A8-AF3A-B760294188D9.JPG
"Jesus Christ, he's tiny! I've had bigger chunks of corn in my crap." - Fat B*stard

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
July 9. Food O'Clock
a little pavalonian training there... I used to have the same for my Cichlid. The pumps would turn off 5 times a day for ten minutes. At which point the auto feeders would kick and they would frenzy.
I think the fixed times and set progression of events actually stoked their appetite and they ate more. Folks were always complimentary on my growth rates.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little pavalonian training there... I used to have the same for my Cichlid. The pumps would turn off 5 times a day for ten minutes. At which point the auto feeders would kick and they would frenzy.
I think the fixed times and set progression of events actually stoked their appetite and they ate more. Folks were always complimentary on my growth rates.
The fish seem to be growing at a good clip (especially the emperor angel).

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gg-aerator.png

What I really like about this product is that you can just add it to any existing pump or outlet. I already track my ORP levels 24x7, so hopefully I'll have some data in a week or so to see how much this is influencing my system.
wondering how this would work or help in my 2nd sump or main sump. Too much for the 2nd sump? I'd have to have a separate pump for it or hook to a manifold?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 9. Food O'Clock
I feed my fish 6 times a day - not including the 4 seaweed-wrapped rocks I plunk in daily. 4 of these are automated pellet feedings that happen at specific times in specific locations in the tanks.

Today right at 6:00pm, the lights dropped to their 6pm preset and the fish immediately started schooling and zipping back and forth in the upper right side of the tank. They continued like this for about a minute until the auto-feeder kicked in and ejected the last meal of the day. Up until the auto-feeder kicked in, there was no noise, movement or other visual cue that nibblies were forthcoming.
I'm thinking of trying an auto feeder for pellets. How many times a day do you feed pellets. What is your feeding schedule? I feed frozen twice a day, 2 algae clips now daily or every other day and I toss in pellets at night in the hopes there are some for the cuc feeders. Which feeders do you have? Is it worth getting the neptune one?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm thinking of trying an auto feeder for pellets. How many times a day do you feed pellets. What is your feeding schedule? I feed frozen twice a day, 2 algae clips now daily or every other day and I toss in pellets at night in the hopes there are some for the cuc feeders. Which feeders do you have? Is it worth getting the neptune one?
I was feeding with pellets 5 times daily then also doing 1-2 frozen cubes 2-3 times a day I try to keep algae clips in the tank too; red and green nori. I took the pellet feeder off awhile ago and upped the frozen.
Have been meaning to start it up again; just need to find a better spot for it.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering how this would work or help in my 2nd sump or main sump. Too much for the 2nd sump? I'd have to have a separate pump for it or hook to a manifold?
The only caveat is that it does introduce a lot of fine mist, so depending on flow this could be minimal or a lot.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a mix of pellets 4x daily (2x each from an AFS on either side of the tank, staggered every few hours). I use the Neptune AFS, yes - and since you already have the Apex these are the ones I'd recommend. They're powered via AquaBUS so you don't need external power supplies for them.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 18. Eye Candy
These are some recent corals images snapped with one of the carbon fibre Building An Obsession lens hoods. Enjoy!

Neon green hydnophora.
neon-hydnophora.jpg

Large Chip's acropora colony.
chips-acropora.jpg

Some cheap mushrooms evolving into a bounce variant.
bounce-mushrooms.jpg

A maroon montipora setosa. The mouths are pretty cool.
red-montipora.jpg

A green palythoa colony (green people eater possibly?)
green-palythoa.jpg

One of my orange Caribbean rockflower anemones.
orange-rockflower.jpg

A meteor cyphastrea.
meteor-cyphastrea.jpg

An orange zoanthid colony (not sure which type).
orange-zoanthids.jpg

A red sangria mushroom which has grown from a 25¢ piece to this in a year.
sangria-mushroom.jpg

A green montipora setosa (or chalice, can't remember).
green-montipora.jpg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 18. Eye Candy
These are some recent corals images snapped with one of the carbon fibre Building An Obsession lens hoods. Enjoy!

Neon green hydnophora.
neon-hydnophora.jpg

Large Chip's acropora colony.
chips-acropora.jpg

Some cheap mushrooms evolving into a bounce variant.
bounce-mushrooms.jpg

A maroon montipora setosa. The mouths are pretty cool.
red-montipora.jpg

A green palythoa colony (green people eater possibly?)
green-palythoa.jpg

One of my orange Caribbean rockflower anemones.
orange-rockflower.jpg

A meteor cyphastrea.
meteor-cyphastrea.jpg

An orange zoanthid colony (not sure which type).
orange-zoanthids.jpg

A red sangria mushroom which has grown from a 25¢ piece to this in a year.
sangria-mushroom.jpg

A green montipora setosa (or chalice, can't remember).
green-montipora.jpg

Looking good!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back