Bleached Anenome - won't eat

Davehla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bleached Anenome that I thought dies in a rock fall a couple weeks back. It has reappeared, but it completely white. I tried to fee it mysis shrimp, but it's tentacles couldn't hold only anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

image.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] I know at least one of you must be a nem expert. ;)

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def do not force it, i killed one like that once.
for me, my carpet has never taken any food i tried to direct feed it and its fine just with the light.
My bubble tips used to always eat, but once they went higher in tank and got the light they wanted they stopped eating on me too and have been fine.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not fed any of my anemones in almost a decade. They may remove food from the water column but who knows. I would not worry and just hope for the best. Keep nitrates down and other good water parameters to improve your chances. Nems do not like high nitrates. In my tank they started to die out around 100PPM. My test kit was way off and had no idea it was that high, but some say they will die LONG before that.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, check phosphates as well. I had mine start bleaching once and phosphates were up. Once i corrected they started coloring right up.
FYI my nitrates are around 20-25 normally with no issues.

OP
OP
Davehla

Davehla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies! Greatly appreciated!!

lxeroxl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent had much luck with nems when they get to this point, But one option i have seen people have sucssess with is to try and do a Cipro Dip but it is stressfull on the new so only do it as a last resort if you see it getting worse

James7733

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bleached Anenome that I thought dies in a rock fall a couple weeks back. It has reappeared, but it completely white. I tried to fee it mysis shrimp, but it's tentacles couldn't hold only anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

image.jpg
I can tell you when I brought home a sick sebae anemone that even had a hard time sticking to rocks I target fed it some liquid microvert food which is for corals and anemones. That sebae anemone is now well and eating good size piece's of shrimp from the market. You stated your anemone is bleached "" however you have left out a bit of information before your anemone's delima can be assessed such as your light type, water parameters, type of water such as ro\di or store bought ext. Also what type of filtration are you runing and what size tank.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bleached anemones once they stop eating there is not much hope.. At this point they are just to starved to even produce nematocyst.
I have saved several bleached anemones but they all could grab food.. The one in my avatar was bleached and was saved. He grew very big too after several years..
This year he has gone through 3 tank transfers and bleached during the first. He moved to where I could not reach him to feed him. He also never recovered any Zooxanthellae . I finally got him and moved him to a place where I can feed him but he no longer accepting food. Usually if they take food eventually they will take on some Zooxanthellae and survive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back