Blenny lifespan survey

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that quite a few Watchman Gobies can live for over 10 years, but I’ve never really heard much about the lifespans of blennies. Fellow reefers who own a blenny / know others who own Blennies, how long have you had yours / did you have yours? How big was it?

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We purchased a tailspot blenny 6/19/2017 that is still going strong (3 years and 2 months now).

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question about salarias blennies a long time ago because they never seemed to live longer than 2-3 years for me. The answers I got were anything from my experience up to 7-8 years so far.
I'm not sure if I was unlucky as the three I had (2 lawnmower and a starry) were all big when I got them but most offered for sale seem to be.

The smaller ecsenius have done better lasting 5 years plus but they do come in younger. I also find them far more hardy but slightly more of a risk with corals depending on which one you go for.

Kiophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first marine fish were two baby salaria pavo blennies, and although I've only had them for a few months they are definitely some of my very favorite fish! They act with such curiosity and intelligence, and have unfathomable patience when observing anything.

That's why this thread was interesting. I wish the blennies would have the same life-expectancy as my galah cockatoos :smiling-face-with-tear:

Are there any new stories of old blennies?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost a lawnmower to what I think was old age. I *think I had it about 4 years. It was maybe 3" when I bought it, so who knows how old it was already.

It just started to swim less and less, and eat less aggressively. No matter how much I fed, it sort of withered away. Almost zero chance that it was any kind of disease.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but figured I'd tack on my ONE blenny experience...

Bicolor blenny died unexpectedly last night.
Fine and swimming around normally a couple/few hours earlier.

I'm hoping it was just old age but I didn't see any signs of slowing down, not eating, or anything like that.
I bought him fully grown and had him for close to 2 years,,, so age is unknown.

Nothing visibly wrong when examined -- just found him kind of laying at the base of a rock structure with some bristle worms and nassarius snails just starting to snack.

Weird but no suspected disease (nothing visible/behavioral and no recent additions) -- that's vague but will stop there.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Old thread but figured I'd tack on my ONE blenny experience...

Bicolor blenny died unexpectedly last night.
Fine and swimming around normally a couple/few hours earlier.

I'm hoping it was just old age but I didn't see any signs of slowing down, not eating, or anything like that.
I bought him fully grown and had him for close to 2 years,,, so age is unknown.

Nothing visibly wrong when examined -- just found him kind of laying at the base of a rock structure with some bristle worms and nassarius snails just starting to snack.

Weird but no suspected disease (nothing visible/behavioral and no recent additions) -- that's vague but will stop there.
I found my blenny yesterday the same way. The Day before he passed away i was cleaning the tank inside and he was perching on me. It was almost like he was saying his good byes. Definitely hit hard more than i expected. They truly are our animals we become attached to

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We lost our little Starry today. We had him almost 8 years and he had to be pretty old when we got him because he never got any bigger. :( Sad Day at the farm….
624BD68D-B34C-41BF-9CA8-6AD71303D1D7.png

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back