Blenny Question

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research on different blennies for my 32G Biocube and I was interested in the Barnacle Belnnies due to their nature to hide in the rocks and dart out, but I have noticed that many genus of blenny also seem to have the same base behavior. Is this something that is characteristic of the larger blenny grouping as a whole, or just to particular dsubspecies, or just the barnacle blenny? The barnacle blennies seem to run at a higher cost for a smaller fish than some of the others I have looked at and I am trying to decide if it is worth it to spend more on 2-3 Barnacle blennies, or go another route with a more colorful belnny that would demonstrate the same unique behavior.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research on different blennies for my 32G Biocube and I was interested in the Barnacle Belnnies due to their nature to hide in the rocks and dart out, but I have noticed that many genus of blenny also seem to have the same base behavior. Is this something that is characteristic of the larger blenny grouping as a whole, or just to particular dsubspecies, or just the barnacle blenny? The barnacle blennies seem to run at a higher cost for a smaller fish than some of the others I have looked at and I am trying to decide if it is worth it to spend more on 2-3 Barnacle blennies, or go another route with a more colorful belnny that would demonstrate the same unique behavior.
Generally they have the same behavior with some exceptions. I've had a bicolor blenny and a flametail blenny and they act the exact same way. Lawnmower and scooter blennies act in a different way and cruise around the sand bed more. Also from my understanding if you put multiple blennies in a 30g they may try and kill each other. They are peaceful to all fish besides other blennies

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blennys can be kept singly or as many as you like. You will see them when you feed the tank, but’s that’s about it.

I have a tailspot and a flametail in a 108 gallon tank. The flametail is very active on and off throughout the day all around the rock work. The tailspot swims from spot to spot here and there.

Then you have blennys that basically stay on the rocks or sand.

If you want activity, color, and personality you can’t go wrong with a Midas blenny

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd love a Tailspot. They are out most of the time and sleep or hide in a barnacle.

4AAD4246-2804-4245-A797-B5ACAD21F901.jpeg ACEEF55A-5EF7-4798-89E5-3383E510C50B.jpeg

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blennys can be kept singly or as many as you like. You will see them when you feed the tank, but’s that’s about it.

I have a tailspot and a flametail in a 108 gallon tank. The flametail is very active on and off throughout the day all around the rock work. The tailspot swims from spot to spot here and there.

If you want activity, color, and personality you can’t go wrong with a Midas blenny
+1

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok got it, and since we have a smaller aquarium we would not be able to keep a lot of them so I will probably look into the ones you mentioned.

Now the Midas Blenny looks like it might swim in more open water? I like the bright yellow color.

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my lawnmower due to keeping my tank tore (sand cloud) up and being a bully. All my fish acted better, different when I re homed him. Just my experience, I don’t think this is normal blenny behavior, fwiw.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got it, and since we have a smaller aquarium we would not be able to keep a lot of them so I will probably look into the ones you mentioned.

Now the Midas Blenny looks like it might swim in more open water? I like the bright yellow color.
I have a Midas & he will swim out some, mostly at feeding time but he does spend alot of time front & center in his barnacle

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas is definitely going to get too large for the Biocube. I have an adult Midas in my 90 gallon, and I couldn't imagine him in my cube.

You'd LOOOOVE a tailspot; they're adorable, and have great personas.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Correct. The Midas will swim a lot in the open water as well as perch.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas is definitely going to get too large for the Biocube. I have an adult Midas in my 90 gallon, and I couldn't imagine him in my cube.

You'd LOOOOVE a tailspot; they're adorable, and have great personas.
Oh yes I just read some about them and they get to 6”. We really want to keep the fish at around 3”, maybe 4” max when they are full grown so they have plenty of maneuverability.

OP
OP
LaraLouM

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how much thought you are putting into your fish selections!
Thanks lol, Doing the fish research is like over half the fun of stocking a new tank IMO. Plus this is an upgrade from our Evo 13.5 so it’s like a whole new world.... though the 32G is tiny for most people on R2R haha!

Back