Blue reef chromis

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys after my diving experience in Jamaica, it has really made me want these blue reef chromis. They look beautiful when they are near adult size very vibrant blue. I know they are part of the chromis family so they like to kill each other. Is that stereotype true with this species? if so is keeping just one going to be a problem. I have heard of them being mean but I want to hear yalls experience.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going on 1 yr and i bought them from Diver den as a trio group. first group didnt make it through shipping next one acclimated it very slowly over many hours. they have been fine since then in my tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found they don't shipping well at all, though they are more peaceful with each other than C. viridis.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs sells them all the time. Maybe that would be a better option

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I have 2 chromis in my tank as my first fish to go in the tank. I had them for a couple days now in the tank and they are hiding in one of the rocks all day is this normal?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I have 2 chromis in my tank as my first fish to go in the tank. I had them for a couple days now in the tank and they are hiding in one of the rocks all day is this normal?
Maybe for the first couple of days hiding is normal, but they should begin to get bolder soon.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard lots of reefers have difficulty keeping these guys. @ritter6788 tried a few times. Do you guys think that's primarily due to shipping issues as they come in? Any tips for getting them thriving?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard lots of reefers have difficulty keeping these guys. @ritter6788 tried a few times. Do you guys think that's primarily due to shipping issues as they come in? Any tips for getting them thriving?
If you can get them from an LFS that transships them rather than getting them through a wholesaler, they do alot better. Chromis from wholesalers almost always have uronema, which wreaks havoc on them.

I have also found they do better in high flow and with frequent feedings.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can get them from an LFS that transships them rather than getting them through a wholesaler, they do alot better. Chromis from wholesalers almost always have uronema, which wreaks havoc on them.

I have also found they do better in high flow and with frequent feedings.
I might have to try some eventually...do you recommend them in groups or do they do best alone?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back