Blue reef chromis

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally started with 5. They were great and everyone got along swimmingly for nearly three years. I always wondered what folks where talking about when it came to chromis killing other chromis. Then the smallest one disappeared. Shortly after that, the next smallest disappeared. You can see where this is going.

I was down to two and just recently ended up catching one and rehoming it as it was being rather aggressive towards some new fish (non chromis). So I'm down to one and it's doing great. Just my personal experience which is all I can speak to.

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience: I bought around 7 green Chromis.....they gradually either picked each other off and/or died of disease until I had one. Some time much later, I bought a blue reef Chromis and added it and the green Chromis and blue Chromis have been fine ever since (it's been over a year now).

steve bergmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both blue reef Chromis and green Chromis along with Anthia's. This is the first I have heard of Chromis being mean fish. Just feed them and they will be fine. Get a big refugium in your sump so it feeds them when you are not. I got the Blue Chromis after seeing them diving in Cayman Islands they are pretty cool but I like the Green Chromis better. To me they all get along and just form a nice group in the tank. Here is a video of my tank if interested: I have had them as long as I can remember but the tank is 8 years old. The green Chromis did cycle the tank but I have added some since then.

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both blue reef Chromis and green Chromis along with Anthia's. This is the first I have heard of Chromis being mean fish. Just feed them and they will be fine. Get a big refugium in your sump so it feeds them when you are not. I got the Blue Chromis after seeing them diving in Cayman Islands they are pretty cool but I like the Green Chromis better. To me they all get along and just form a nice group in the tank. Here is a video of my tank if interested: I have had them as long as I can remember but the tank is 8 years old. The green Chromis did cycle the tank but I have added some since then.

Wow that tank is amazing. I just sat and enjoyed that whole video! Like I was scuba diving in the reefs!

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 bluereef chromis, they’re a beautiful fish. No killing in my tank in almost a year, along with 7 blue green. I think the constant action with my anthias keeps them all in line.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I thought they were really pretty too. I had ordered myself 15 from LA and about 2 dead on arrival, then 3 dead later that day. 4 more continued to die throughout the weeks and I was left with 6 by the end of the guarantee period.

They never schooled and chased each other constantly. Then, they started killing one by one until I was left with three. Lesson learned. I netted the last 3 and gave them away to a friend. It was a pain.

I went and bought myself 40 blue green chromis at 1-1.5" sizes and about 22 died, which was expected. I still have 28 of them and they're getting too big for their 180G. These are peaceful, they school together, and eat just about anything.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are close to the damsel family.
Never had luck keeping more than one of them as they tend to disappear slowly one by one.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt read through the whole thread
Blue reef chromis are great reef fish and will live in groups. They are hardy fish but they the the worst shippers.
If you can get them locally ita best otherwise mortality rate due to shipping is high.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back