Blue throat trigger in reef

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive always liked trigger fish but i read they could mess with your aquascape this tank i have now was the first time i used reef cement so it wont be easily moved anyone seen their trigger try to move your live rock

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Neptune Auto Feeder and feed 3X a day, then feed Frozen Mysis a few times a week. I keep well fed.
I buy 4 fresh clams a week, shuck them then freeze them

I will thaw one out every other day, cut it up imo chunks and feed my blue throat a few chunks first. Then mysis mix for the rest of the tank.

Have a female for about a month or so now and am really leaning towards getting a male.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both Nigers and Blue throats in full reefs without a problem. Yes they can move stuff around in the tank that’s just part of being trigger fish but I didn’t have them giving coral a problem. I didn’t have them eating ornamental shrimp but I made sure I feed them a carnivorous diet and had plenty of room to hide/

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both Nigers and Blue throats in full reefs without a problem. Yes they can move stuff around in the tank that’s just part of being trigger fish but I didn’t have them giving coral a problem. I didn’t have them eating ornamental shrimp but I made sure I feed them a carnivorous diet and had plenty of room to hide/
Good to know!

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair in a 180 gallon reef years ago and they were model citizens. Currently, I only have a female in a 300 gallon. There are 2 cleaner shrimp, a bunch of snails and a tux urchin. She was SO shy when I first introduced her and believe it or not, our hippo tang who is usually our resident moderator picked on her for about a week before leaving her alone. My guess is similar body shape. She eats NLS pellets and anything frozen. The hippo tang is the one who likes to rearrange frags.

All fishes behavior is subjective. I'm currently going through this with another kind of fish, but I won't go there in this post. :)

Blue throats are awesome, IMHO.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair in a 180 gallon reef years ago and they were model citizens. Currently, I only have a female in a 300 gallon. There are 2 cleaner shrimp, a bunch of snails and a tux urchin. She was SO shy when I first introduced her and believe it or not, our hippo tang who is usually our resident moderator picked on her for about a week before leaving her alone. My guess is similar body shape. She eats NLS pellets and anything frozen. The hippo tang is the one who likes to rearrange frags.

All fishes behavior is subjective. I'm currently going through this with another kind of fish, but I won't go there in this post. :)

Blue throats are awesome, IMHO.
Haha! Ok and thank you!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was so shy in QT I was worried if he would be able to compete with a bunch of boisterous wrasses and an aggressive Gold Rim Tang. The first day he hid and I rarely saw him. Day 2 saw him hanging out in one corner of the tank. Day 3 and every day since he is out and about and rushes to the front of the tank when I approach.

It's like he learned from the other fish I wasn't a threat. I've never seen anything like it. On the surface he seems to be the most personable, intelligent fish I've kept.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was so shy in QT I was worried if he would be able to compete with a bunch of boisterous wrasses and an aggressive Gold Rim Tang. The first day he hid and I rarely saw him. Day 2 saw him hanging out in one corner of the tank. Day 3 and every day since he is out and about and rushes to the front of the tank when I approach.

It's like he learned from the other fish I wasn't a threat. I've never seen anything like it. On the surface he seems to be the most personable, intelligent fish I've kept.
Dude it's so cool. All my fish when they see me swim up to the part of the tank. I even move from one side to the other looking into the tank and they look back at me. They do look scary though when they sleep. They have this look in their eye that is weird and they might even appear dead to people but they are sleeping

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude it's so cool. All my fish when they see me swim up to the part of the tank. I even move from one side to the other looking into the tank and they look back at me. They do look scary though when they sleep. They have this look in their eye that is weird and they might even appear dead to people but they are sleeping

It may sound crazy, but I feel like my Colin's angels are always watching me :eek: ....even when I'm not directly in front of the tank/on the couch. I don't think we give our fishes enough personality credit! ;Playful

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just finished QT. He is painfully shy but getting better.
Keep me updated on the blue throat. Definitely something I’ve been thinking of...

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s been my experience with blue throats every time. I’d expect you’ll see this same behavior once he’s introduced to your display tank. Triggers are awesome fish!

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bluethroat Male never bothered corals, inverts or tankmates. They are boisterous eaters at feeding time. Great addition to reef tank.
Personally I have never had a Niger trigger , but bluethroats are more peaceful IMO. I have read of incidents where a Niger trigger showed aggression towards other fish. As far as triggers, go bluethroats are one of the best choices for peaceful reef tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back